PiCycle

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Searched the forum and I don't think this company has come up before. The design is fantastic as you'll see and the designer, despite his annoying accent, seems to know what he's doing.

I'm glad there was no 'Add To Cart' button.

PiMobility

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Weird looking thing - I kinda like it but then I look again and I'm not sure... then I like it again... :D

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Impressive, he seems to have thought of everything, apart perhaps of the ease of battery replacement. More than just a gimmick, the arch makes a lot of sence in terms of structural streangth, I hope they're available here soon :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Impressive, he seems to have thought of everything, apart perhaps of the ease of battery replacement. More than just a gimmick, the arch makes a lot of sence in terms of structural streangth, I hope they're available here soon :)
Hill climbing looks good ...but then it should be with 2 x 2000 watt motors:eek: The weight seems decent but to me it is a step to far and it does not look that comfortable a riding position either, plus a 20 mile range is hopeless IMO

the Optibike is beautiful in comparison. The A to B with the ability to carry an extra battery is starting to look better as well, have you seen the A To B hybrid?

A2B Hybrid | Product | Ultra Motor (UK)

Ultra Motor A2B Metro and Hybrid electric bikes tested - Crave at CNET UK

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
For the arch to be good engineering shouldn't there be some sort of tie to stop the ends of the arch spreading? I'd expect that in it's current form the frame is much heavier than it needs to be.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
It really appeals to me and seems a well developed piece of work.

I like things that are designed to be what they are rather than an adaptation of something else and at the right price I could see this becoming a very 'hip' piece of kit with great environmental cred. Just the sort of thing to project pedelec into the mainstream.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Wow the hybrid a2b looks nice - like the European version of the big bulky heavy American one!
yes they are getting there, 29.1 kg in this case. The more I think about the pi the more stupid I think it is...... I will stick with Wisper for the foreseeable future (cant afford an optibike:rolleyes: ) I think things will evolve quickly though over the next few years:)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Wow the hybrid a2b looks nice - like the European version of the big bulky heavy American one!
It's still heavier than similar products and I guess it must be to make the odd frame strong enough, it may make a very comfortable ride but I suspect it's too much form over function. I like the gear selection, it's almost exactly what I have done to my Wisper to make it more usable in hilly areas.
Range is confusing, the tech spec says 30 miles whilst the picture says 50 miles. With a less than 10Ah 36v battery I expect the former is more accurate.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
The only thing that gets me about the a2b is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way of attaching a luggage rack, where as there is with the PiCycle (2 in fact). I also like the fact thact Pi uses hardly any welds, though the angle of the steerer looks like it could be awkward for tight turns - I could be wrong though, would love to try one :) .

Edit: Just had a lok at the spec. sheet, it comes with a 750w motor in the states (48v), and a 20.8Ah battery. So with a more conservative motor for the E.U. it'd have a much better range.

Heavy at c.34kg though (but great downhill:D )

Last edited:

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
:D :D :D

I think this might be the "marmite" of ebikes:D

One of my other bikes is a Velotechnik Speedmachine - so I'm used to funny looks!

Last edited:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me this bike looks good, particularly because it is so singular.

I haven't tried it so I can have no opinion of its performance or handling other than guessing, of course.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me this bike looks good, particularly because it is so singular.
Of course, each to his own, but you sum up my objection in that word singular.

There are many words for desirable design objectives and one that isn't:

"Different"

Difference as an accidental by-product of desirable features is fine, but in isolation it has no point. Sadly there are many designers who think that being different is enough, and the e-bike world seems to have more than it's fair share of them. Here's a couple more we've heard much about in recent times:

MonVal Electra

GoCycle

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
You may not like the design, I may or may not not but in the modern world, as Audi say in their advertising, form is as important as function.

In so far as I care whether anyone else uses an electric bike, which ultimately I don't of course, they at present have an image with the young of being for old folk, a kind of Zimmer frame machine. The PiCycle does not look like anything an old person would ride and that to me is its strength. It is an uncompromising electric design, not an ad hoc adaptation. If electric bikes are to thrive, they must have young users, not old geezers like me.

I have long played guitar both classical and blues. My classical guitar is a beauty but my other guitar (was) a Fender Stratocaster, 50 years ago an astonishly radical departure and - yes -singular design. It was derided and criticized as a gimmick. It is today the standard electric guitar played by some of the finest players all over the world.

I'm not saying the PiCycle will be that, I doubt it. But I think it is important to be open to new things even if one personally doesn't like them.

Just my take and no criticism intended.

Happy new year all. May your batteries stay charged and your tyres puncture free, your chains in adjustment and you frames not shaped like 'C' :)