Police ebike checks.

Would you let police ride your ebike to check for irregularities and illegalities?

• Yes. I have nothing to hide and I believe that my bike is perfectly legal.

• No. It could be a scam to steal my expensive ebike.

• I don't know what I'd do.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
How would you react if approached by the police.
Depending on how much being messed around by the police I would decide whether to comply.

A). Don’t comply the police can confiscate your bike and the time taken for them to test it and find it’s not illegal. Inform you of the outcome for you to arrange to pick it up sometime.

B). Just let him ride it, realise it isn’t and you can go on your way.
If you didn't let them prove that it was illegal by allowing them to ride your bike, then what would their reasonable suspicion, to confiscate / impound, be based on?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
then what would their reasonable suspicion, to confiscate / impound, be based on?
250W label?
A factory built e-bike must have EN15194 sticker with the name of the manufacturer. A kit must have 250W label on the motor.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

"Well, your honour, I was in the fast lane on the motorway overtaking some cars when I heard a siren coming from the car behind which also had some flashing blue lights.
Realising that this could be a hoax and they'd stop me to steal my car I refused to stop and carried on regardless.
I've read about these police imposters on the internet."

And what do expect the verdict would be eh?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
"Well, your honour, I was in the fast lane on the motorway overtaking some cars when I heard a siren coming from the car behind which also had some flashing blue lights.
Realising that this could be a hoax and they'd stop me to steal my car I refused to stop and carried on regardless.
I've read about these police imposters on the internet."

And what do expect the verdict would be eh?
Yes, in that situation, guilty is likely of course. :rolleyes: Having said that, it has happened as someone mentioned earlier. Where police stopped a car and then drove off with it, leaving the driver at the side of the road. :oops:

However, we're not talking about making off from the police, which would be relatively easy to do on a bike. We're talking about complying with the police stop and why anyone would let them test ride their bike in a bid to find evidence, which may be used against them.

So, if you didn't let them prove that a bike was illegal by allowing them to ride your bike, then what would their reasonable suspicion, to confiscate / impound, be based on? :confused:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So, if you didn't let them prove that a bike was illegal by allowing them to ride your bike, then what would their reasonable suspicion, to confiscate / impound, be based on?
250W/25kph label is missing if it's a kit.
if it's a factory made bike, the presence of a dongle.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some dongles are and takes a swift few seconds, whilst you check the bike for a puncture or brake issue.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If it's a legal kit, without a 250W/25kph sticker, does that make it illegal then?
In all probability, an officer wouldn't have cause to stop you if you didn't ride well over 15mph, especially not pedalling.
If you get pulled in, I think you need to be able to point out something that supports your assertion that it's a 250W motor and demonstrate that the speed is limited to 15mph.
For example, ask the officer to help you lift up the motorwheel so you can demonstrate the speed limit.

Are dongles easily removed?
no and it's still obvious if you try to remove something after you stop the bike.

It's pretty obvious to many of us to spot an illegal e-bike, so why not a police officer?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
For example, ask the officer to help you lift up the motorwheel so you can demonstrate the speed limit.

no and it's still obvious if you try to remove something after you stop the bike.

It's pretty obvious to many of us to spot an illegal e-bike, so why not a police officer?
@soundwave You'd better get down the gym son. Those ebikes are heavy. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you didn't let them prove that it was illegal by allowing them to ride your bike, then what would their reasonable suspicion, to confiscate / impound, be based on?
Lack of proper labelling, virtually no pedelecs are correctly marked in every respect. Here's what the law says, the first way is for current machines built to EU standards, the second for 2015 and before machines. (Forget about kit builds, a police officer isn't qualified to determine if an e-bike is kit built or just a non standard manufactured one.):

"Must be fitted with a plate securely fixed in a conspicuous and readily accessible position showing— (a) the name of the manufacturer of the vehicle, (b) the nominal voltage of the battery (as defined in the 1971 British Standard) of the vehicle, and (c) the continuous rated output (as defined in the 1971 British Standard) of the motor of the vehicle;

or (ii) visibly and durably marked with— (a) the name of the manufacturer of the vehicle, (b) the maximum speed at which the motor can propel the vehicle specified in miles per hour or kilometres per hour, and (c) the maximum continuous rated power (as defined in the Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations 1983)(d) of the motor of the vehicle specified in watts or kilowatts;”

If not plated in one of the above ways, suspicion exists that it may well be illegal since it's well known that there are numerous illegal e-bikes and other two wheelers on the roads.

Last edited:
  • Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

all id need to do is bolt down a ally way take it if and lob it somewhere not that it has ever been a problem but no dongle no proof.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do any of you lot pay the bbc tv licence ? we not paid it for near ten years now as dont use it or have a account to watch it.

they still send letters tho pmsl.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
this is the EN15194 label on all Woosh bikes:

it is weatherproof and always affixed to the seat post.

Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You Sir, should be ashamed of yourself! Carpe dieming on such a serious topic! :D
:):)

that was in reply to flecc's post:

Lack of proper labelling, virtually no pedelecs are correctly marked in every respect. Here's what the law says, the first way is for current machines built to EU standards, the second for 2015 and before machines. (Forget about kit builds, a police officer isn't qualified to determine if an e-bike is kit built or just a non standard manufactured one.):

"Must be fitted with a plate securely fixed in a conspicuous and readily accessible position showing— (a) the name of the manufacturer of the vehicle, (b) the nominal voltage of the battery (as defined in the 1971 British Standard) of the vehicle, and (c) the continuous rated output (as defined in the 1971 British Standard) of the motor of the vehicle;

or (ii) visibly and durably marked with— (a) the name of the manufacturer of the vehicle, (b) the maximum speed at which the motor can propel the vehicle specified in miles per hour or kilometres per hour, and (c) the maximum continuous rated power (as defined in the Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations 1983)(d) of the motor of the vehicle specified in watts or kilowatts;”

If not plated in one of the above ways, suspicion exists that it may well be illegal since it's well known that there are numerous illegal e-bikes and other two wheelers on the roads.

Reactions: flecc and LeighPing