Police ebike checks.

Would you let police ride your ebike to check for irregularities and illegalities?

• Yes. I have nothing to hide and I believe that my bike is perfectly legal.

• No. It could be a scam to steal my expensive ebike.

• I don't know what I'd do.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Leigh
If you didn't feed yourself then you wouldn't be alive, and I don't care how suspicious you are. You're not riding my bike. :)
Leigh

Further to a previous post where you said the police have no right to take your bike, I fell you are a bit misguided on that point as you correctly said that unless the police have proof and not suspicions, or you’re not committing or about to commit an offence an offence they have no right under the law. Now that point is a problem, as dealing with the police for the last 40yrs I have found in my experience that the low level constables and their knowledge of the intricacies of the law is somewhat questionable.
So what would happen if they acted ‘above the colour of law’? Firstly they would take your bike, if you protested they act in a manner to agitate and escalate the situation (even though their training manuals instruct to de-escalate) for a stupid or aggressive reaction from yourself which then puts them into arrest mode. You would be charged with various offences because of their suspicions and your reaction to the stop.
Your redress would be very futile and complicated as they hold the trump cards being well organised with an inherent belief to protect their own.

Now the police bash above is over what would happen if illegal bike were ridden without checks to an extent where in the end legislative measure will be put in place for all us ebikers to register our bikes, insure our bikes, maintain our bikes (MOT) etc etc. This comes at a cost to us.
I for one dislike having police go above the law but I feel it’s a catch 22 situation they are damned if they stop us and damned if they don’t.
It’s a good poll if you tweeted the original remit, as it’s been a well participated post.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Th

the ebike police will be private company's for profit enforcing it imo in the near future a fag butt does not have a ip address name and location linked to it yet.

e sad fact of life is we’re are having our freedoms removed from us something Rees-mogg has talked about.
Another sad fact is the amount of cigarette butts just randomly tossed on the floor because of idiots too tired of taking them to a litter bin.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Butts will have DNA though.

• Agree

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton

the ebike police will be private company's for profit enforcing it imo in the near future a fag butt does not have a ip address name and location linked to it yet.
That bloke is spouting BS and knows the 'tin pot enforcers' won't come after him.
He sounds very knowledgeable but obviously isn't, if those had been proper Cops he wouldn't have been mouthy.
You'll find there is no excuse for ignorance and anybody with an IQ of more than 1 knows it's not right to drop litter on the floor.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
anybody with an IQ of more than 1 knows it's not right to drop litter on the floor.
Indeed, it’s one of my real hatreds of modern society. I used to think that it was an urban issue and that we in the countryside didn’t see it but it’s just not true. People fly tipping lay-bys and farm gates is common. Poke around the rubbish and it’s quite obviously local people not visitors or tourists, shameful.

Indicative of the fact that no one really cares about anyone else anymore, everyone knows it’s wrong but for many “no one saw me, I got away with it“ seems to matter more

One regular dumping spot is 3/4 mile from the recycling centre!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
dealing with the police for the last 40yrs I have found in my experience that the low level constables and their knowledge of the intricacies of the law is somewhat questionable.

So what would happen if they acted ‘above the colour of law’? Firstly they would take your bike, if you protested they act in a manner to agitate and escalate the situation (even though their training manuals instruct to de-escalate) for a stupid or aggressive reaction from yourself which then puts them into arrest mode. You would be charged with various offences because of their suspicions and your reaction to the stop.

Your redress would be very futile and complicated as they hold the trump cards being well organised with an inherent belief to protect their own.
Thanks Bobajob. :) I'm well aware of those points that you've identified and, if the scenario ever occurred with me, which is highly unlikely as I don't ride on the road, of course if it were an illegal ebike I wouldn't be allowed on a bike path either. That's not the case, but things just won't be panning out that way.

Several years back, as I was on the bike path, heading back home near the end of my ride with my unleashed dog at the local country park, I passed a number of weekend bike riders that were heading in the opposite direction to me, at the park. Both males and females (video attached). A few gave me the, then, prevalent anti ebike comments and I saw one of the men pull out his phone and make a call whilst looking at me. You can't hear them in the video due to my handlebar mounted mp3 player.

A few minutes later, whilst exiting the park, I held my dog and dismounted my bike to walk safely across a main road. I then saw a police car with it's two occupants, parked at the side of that road. One tapped the other on the shoulder and nodded towards us. Both were then looking at me and speaking to each other. The front seat pax then held a phone to his ear and, as he spoke, his eyes never left me. After crossing the road, and getting back onto the bike path, I mounted my bike and slowly made my way up it with my dog trotting ahead of me. The police car turned around, now heading in my direction of travel, following slowly going along the road that runs alongside the bike path route that I'd taken. Those are the facts as I recall. Make your own mind up on what was occurring, and what might be about to occur.. It's neither rocket science nor paranoia. :oops:

They stopped their car and the blue light and siren priorities sounded briefly as I rode my bike over a road bridge above them. Neither exited the vehicle as I stopped overhead. So I then slowly disappeared into the adjacent residential area. I have no time for anti ebike sentiment or for playing silly games based on the assumed prejudicial criminality of owning an ebike. Especially when I've done nothing wrong. I won't be stopping to be helping with any ebike enquiries in the future either.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Thanks Bobajob. :) I'm well aware of those points that you've identified and, if the scenario ever occurred with me, which is highly unlikely as I don't ride on the road, of course if it were an illegal ebike I wouldn't be allowed on a bike path either. That's not the case, but things just won't be panning out that way.

Several years back, as I was on the bike path, heading back home near the end of my ride with my unleashed dog at the local country park, I passed a number of weekend bike riders that were heading in the opposite direction to me, at the park. Both males and females (video attached). A few gave me the, then, prevalent anti ebike comments and I saw one of the men pull out his phone and make a call whilst looking at me. You can't hear them in the video due to my handlebar mounted mp3 player.

A few minutes later, whilst exiting the park, I held my dog and dismounted my bike to walk safely across a main road. I then saw a police car with it's two occupants, parked at the side of that road. One tapped the other on the shoulder and nodded towards us. Both were then looking at me and speaking to each other. The front seat pax then held a phone to his ear and, as he spoke, his eyes never left me. After crossing the road, and getting back onto the bike path, I mounted my bike and slowly made my way up it with my dog trotting ahead of me. The police car turned around, now heading in my direction of travel, following slowly going along the road that runs alongside the bike path route that I'd taken. Those are the facts as I recall. Make your own mind up on what was occurring, and what might be about to occur.. It's neither rocket science nor paranoia. :oops:

They stopped their car and the blue light and siren priorities sounded briefly as I rode my bike over a road bridge above them. Neither exited the vehicle as I stopped overhead. So I then slowly disappeared into the adjacent residential area. I have no time for anti ebike sentiment or for playing silly games based on the assumed prejudicial criminality of owning an ebike. Especially when I've done nothing wrong. I won't be stopping to be helping with any ebike enquiries in the future either.
Leigh

I’m afraid the police are now somewhat out of control withthe law.
Thankfully one of the police go waswat hung you had sense not to get involved.
I’m a great believer in protecting our withering rights with humility, calmness and courtesy. Be firm and state your rights, but never over react as that’s what gets you in trouble.
Short lived bullying by rouge police causes them more problems for their career if a level head is adopted courteous interaction. It might not go the right way in the first instance but beneficial in the long run.
To look at the police viewpoint, they have to deal with a problematic part of society and adopt that stance at all even at times when it’s obvious those they are interacting with are ordinary decent people enjoying life. .

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Leigh

I’m afraid the police are now somewhat out of control withthe law.
Thankfully one of the police go waswat hung you had sense not to get involved.
I’m a great believer in protecting our withering rights with humility, calmness and courtesy. Be firm and state your rights, but never over react as that’s what gets you in trouble.
Short lived bullying by rouge police causes them more problems for their career if a level head is adopted courteous interaction. It might not go the right way in the first instance but beneficial in the long run.
To look at the police viewpoint, they have to deal with a problematic part of society and adopt that stance at all even at times when it’s obvious those they are interacting with are ordinary decent people enjoying life. .
I hate using a phone as one slip and predictive text takes over, changing it nes post into utter drivel lol.

With regard to ebike prejudices my cousin an ex pro road cyclist who rode for the top teams doing the circuits Tour de France etc etc said it’s brilliant having an ebike as it gets people out cycling and exercising.
When overweight people are out jogging my thoughts are good on you for getting out there not criticising their speed etc etc.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
The camera only points forward I'm afraid, and my dog trots at around 12 mph. Too fast for what? The Sabbath. :D
I'll be honest, I think you're full of it.
You're cycling at 12 mph with many cyclists coming past you at what looks like faster than 12 mph but you notice when they've gone past, that one picks their phone up to ring 'the Police'.

Reactions: Amoto65

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I'll be honest, I think you're full of it.
You're cycling at 12 mph with many cyclists coming past you at what looks like faster than 12 mph but you notice when they've gone past, that one picks their phone up to ring 'the Police'.
We can all think what we like can't we. :)

But, nope, I never said that anyone phoned the police. I merely explained what I witnessed occurring and you made the same inference, after concluding on the basis of my written evidence and your reasoning, that I did that day. Well done.

• Dislike
Reactions: Amoto65

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
We can all think what we like can't we. :)

But, nope, I never said that anyone phoned the police. I merely explained what I witnessed occurring and you made the same inference, after concluding on the basis of my written evidence and your reasoning, that I did that day. Well done.
and that's why I put those '' round the words 'the Police'.
How the hell can you see some cyclist that has gone past you picking their phone up when you've got to concentrate on a winding path, uneven grass and not running into your dog?
Give up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and that's why I put those '' round the words 'the Police'.
How the hell can you see some cyclist that has gone past you picking their phone up when you've got to concentrate on a winding path, uneven grass and not running into your dog?
Give up.
them slow ass ebikes are a pita :p