Police say electric bikes illegal in Northern Ireland

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would agree, however every so often Tommie introduces the topic in one guise or another and it needs to be countered. As long as he does not introduce these topics, I will not respond.
Maybe Dan didn`t take kindly to be reminded his MP is Gerry Adams,..... well, i mean who would??!!
I don`t mind the banter at all, but please try to be accurate in your posts Danidl.
And this is why Northern Ireland doesn't have a sitting Assembly.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I would also agree, however every so often Danidl just cannot resist a sly dig at the folk up North, obviously something has riled him up in this instance to be talking of an `invasion` by Peter Robinson with `masses of Troops`!! I remember the event well, a lot of yahoos running up and down the street with flags waving until the Garda showed up and then they scampered. Maybe Dan didn`t take kindly to be reminded his MP is Gerry Adams,..... well, i mean who would??!!
I don`t mind the banter at all, but please try to be accurate in your posts Danidl.
I don't need reminding who one of our TDs is. I am fully aware of it. The advantage of a multiseat constitutity is that there are alternative voices .

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
small update....

for what it`s worth i see one of our local government run parks are still hiring Ebikes out to all and sundry,
relative, a park worker, met a swarm of them out and about yesterday (Cube Hybrids)

"This is our self-guided Try Electric Mountain Biking package and includes everything needed to get you started on the local Roads, Tracks & Trails... Simply Book, Collect & Go Further!

What's included;

• CUBE Hybrid MTB
  • Cycle helmet
  • Trail map"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quote used to draw attention
Quote used to draw attention
Tomorrow Wednesday 13th February, there's a program on the BBC's Radio 4 at 11am that may be of interest. About the civil servants running of N.I., it's titled:

"Who Needs Government Anyway?"

If the time isn't convenient it can be listened to after the broadcast on the BBC i-Player on this link

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
This site seems to have changed a bit since I was here.
Still grounded Flecc, just don't have the nerve to flout a law however ludicrous.
Missing our bikes a lot.
Thanks for the update for tomorrow. Not too optimistic though about our future here as things are going from bad to worse.
Keep safe guys.
Ted.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This site seems to have changed a bit since I was here.
Still grounded Flecc, just don't have the nerve to flout a law however ludicrous.
Missing our bikes a lot.
Thanks for the update for tomorrow. Not too optimistic though about our future here as things are going from bad to worse.
Keep safe guys.
Ted.
Thanks Ted. Yes the site host's latest software has made a number of changes, we're still getting used to it.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Thanks Ted. Yes the site host's latest software has made a number of changes, we're still getting used to it.
Hello Pal,
I might be off the scene because of the ********'s in power here but I still watch the activities on the forum from my sofa.
Just found that my list of icons have been reinstated.
How good is that for a Tuesday?
I shall use one and you shall be first. :p

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi LeighPing
"Met" a few good guys on this forum. Hope you are all well and active.
Not much to say here now because we are still grounded with veiled threats from several departments on the use of our illegal bikes.
Keep safe
Ted.

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
for what it`s worth i see one of our local government run parks are still hiring Ebikes out to all and sundry,
relative, a park worker, met a swarm of them out and about yesterday (Cube Hybrids)
Hi TedG :)

It seems that others, even businesses, are flouting the law. Or basically just ignoring it's ludicrousness, without being bothered. Why would anyone trouble you?.. You already know the answer to that question, you wouldn't be troubled. You just worry about the worst case scenario. Even though it will likely never come. :rolleyes:

I do wonder how that business insurance views it's application there. :oops: It's probably best if you hire an ebike from them. :D

Reactions: TedG

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Had a quick look at their web-site again, seems there`s more options than ever for ebike adventure in N.I. now!!

HAVE A BLAST:

Go Further ! .. Join us on top e-blasts, and in the company of our guides, take in some of the most iconic locations across Northern Ireland. Try our top 3 options that include the Titanic Trail & and the Belfast Skyline, the Granite Trail & the Mourne Mountains, and the Giants Trail & the Causeway Coast. E Bikes include helmets, guides, shuttles etc included - 2 hour upwards.

More here!! https://discovernorthernireland.com/Electric-Bikes-at-Life-Adventure-Centre-Castlewellan-P52653/

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I have to put likes at these two previous comments - simply because I like them but haven't got the nerve to act accordingly.
I know you guys are clever enough to understand and accept our reluctance to take a chance on not being nabbed.
I wasn't born yesterday and have been through a lot in this life especially professionally clean on the roads but as for Sod's Law, well in these uncertain times I feel it is never far away.
We have been at Castlewellan several times Tommie and saw the bikes all sitting after being power washed and ready for hire as per the advert.
The responses to our queries and confusion were along the lines of "we are running a business and providing a service and have no wish to go bankrupt" - words to that effect.
I do envy you guys with youth and health and the will to take a chance. Long may you continue. ;)

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Sorry - Off topic for an instant.
By the way Tommie, I did ask a question somewhere but never received a reply.
What is the significance of the bar graph at each member's details? Reactions???
There is green, grey and red so what do they mean. I have blundered about the new format but I can see nothing relating to this.
You seem to have a lot of red and I received an "abusive language" icon on one of mine!!! For what?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is green, grey and red so what do they mean. I have blundered about the new format but I can see nothing relating to this.
You seem to have a lot of red and I received an "abusive language" icon on one of mine!!! For what?
It is the reactions, positive and negative. Tommies red quantity is probably as a result of his outspoken views in the Brexit thread and the opposing side's dissent.

As for your abusive language one, it's probably an error. It's all too easy for someone to hover over and click something without realising it and this has happened to many.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Sorry - Off topic for an instant.
By the way Tommie, I did ask a question somewhere but never received a reply.
What is the significance of the bar graph at each member's details? Reactions???
Lol Ted..

Yes you got it, wouldn`t pay any attention to those btw........... if you venture anyway near the brexit thread whatever your opinion you`ll get plenty of those `abusive` icons :D
anyways hope you and the missus keeping well, i`m in much the same boat as yourselves, retired now, and a fairweather bike rider, hoping to get out now this mild weather hangs in.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lol Ted..

Yes you got it, wouldn`t pay any attention to those btw........... if you venture anyway near the brexit thread whatever your opinion you`ll get plenty of those `abusive` icons :D
anyways hope you and the missus keeping well, i`m in much the same boat as yourselves, retired now, and a fairweather bike rider, hoping to get out now this mild weather hangs in.
Always hoping we will bump into you in Newcastle some day. We will probably be on our Bromptons (no choice) and we always park the Golf at the far end of town opposite the Avoca Hotel. :cool:
Keep well.

Reactions: LeighPing

corsur

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 24, 2019
Hello, just been chatting to a customer who says the police have told him that no electric bikes at all are legal in Northern Ireland. I assured him this was not the case as at the very least the usual EU law applies, and that they're legal across the UK in any case.

Anyone heard anything to the contrary, or is this just a case of a local bobby get on his high horse?

Anyone been pulled over riding their electric bike anywhere in the UK on such spurious grounds, for that matter?
Yes In Northern Ireland The law is outdated. They are waiting for the Northern Ireland executive to sign the document to put in in line with the rest of the UK. However because they cant agree on anything . They are not in government, and cant sign it. So in NI you have to have it tax insured. Display a full size number plate on your bike. Full motorcycle gear helmet the lot. And your not allowed to ride it on paths or cycle lines. You have to ride in with the ordinary traffic cars bus lorries etc. Really ! Apparently so.

Just to see if this is possible. I phoned the DVLA and they need a insurance document to register it . And the insurance company said they need a registration number to insure it. Not frame number. So it catch 22 cant be done.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I can confirm that all of this is correct, however daft.
I am still in contact with Inspector Leech (some of you guys will remember her from the letter she wrote?)
It is obvious what she wants to say but is bound by law(?) not to say it and she is correct.
I still have contact with some retired RUC traffic officers and they say that the current batch of PSNI traffic officers, and perhaps also bobbies on the beat are also obliged to uphold this ludicrous law, and especially if there is an "incident" however innocent whereby injury is involved there would be action as pedelecs here are as illegal as an uninsured, untaxed car.

IMO "being careful" and aware on an illegal vehicle e.g. a pedelec is no different to being careful and aware and fingers crossed in an illegal car.
The results may be different but the principle is the same.

Those of you folk who don't live in this difficult part of the UK will probably not know how physically sick we feel at the lack of effort of those in "power" to get back to work - but I have tried to stay away from politics on this forum.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just to see if this is possible. I phoned the DVLA and they need a insurance document to register it . And the insurance company said they need a registration number to insure it. Not frame number. So it catch 22 cant be done.
There's a misunderstanding here, the insurance document is only needed by them for a vehicle that is already type approved.

Pedelecs are not type approved since the type approval regulation 168/2013 exempts them from being motor vehicles. That is the first catch 22.

The method of getting round that in a case such a N.I. is to obtain an individual MSVA (Motor Cycle Vehicle Approval) which results in a certificate that the DVLA accepts to register the machine.

The MSVA is obtained at a DVLA vehicle inspectorate testing location, but the second catch is that it will be registered as a low powered moped (maximum 1000 watts and 15.5 mph assist) which means it must have the fittings appropriate to that. Those are lights, a rear view mirror, horn, brakelight and rear number plate mount with illumination. Can be done and some have done it, but it's not easy. The fee for the test is £55.

The third catch is that N.I. doesn't have a test centre, you'd need to bring the machine to the mainland UK. The location of the test centres is on the map from a link on this web page.

The easy way out of all this but at some cost is to buy an S-Class high speed pedelec. These are mostly 350 watts but can have up to 500 watts, and they motor assist up to 45 kph (28 mph). They also have all the necessary bits but in all other respects are just like any other pedelec. They come with a Certificate of Conformity as pre-approved vehicles and the DVLA registers on presentation of that. Once registered you then get insurance in the usual way. That can be a bit troublesome since they aren't in insurance company lists of vehicles, but many have succeeded, including some of our members.

P.S. This high speed class does require an appropriate driving licence. In the UK that's any one of the following:

Groups Q, AM, P or A.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can confirm that all of this is correct, however daft.
I am still in contact with Inspector Leech (some of you guys will remember her from the letter she wrote?)
It is obvious what she wants to say but is bound by law(?) not to say it and she is correct.
Not quite correct Ted, see my post just above.