"Police stat shows that 260 electric powered bicycles were seized by officers last year"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So in the case of the current consultation around increasing the power limit to 350W, no change in the law is needed to make 350W legal, some Minister just needs to write a letter ?
No, no, no, there is no such consultation so I don't know what you are speaking of.

There is consideration being given to changing the law to allow 500 watts and fully acting throttles, but that would have to be with new law replacing the existing 1983 regulation and the 2015 parliamentary amendments.

Once again, reread this post to understand such a ministerial approval is only possible after extensive prior discussion and acceptance as in the examples I gave.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
There is consideration being given to changing the law to allow 500 watts and fully acting throttles, but that would have to be with new law replacing the existing 1983 regulation and the 2015 parliamentary amendments.
Ah, IC, its to 500W, my mistake.

So in this case, why cannot a minister just write a letter and in effect change the law ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So in this case, why cannot a minister just write a letter and in effect change the law ?
I've already explained at length with three examples, why can't you understand them?

Such ministerial change can only follow such as widespread discussion, consultation and extensive acceptance of the principle, and even then the change is only a partial permission, not a change in the law. To change the law requires a whole new parliamentary law replacing the old law.

The only exception to that is a temporary order to deal with a major sudden emergency, such as Covid.

There is no such electric bicycle emergency suddenly needing more speed or power, nor has- there been any discussion, consultation and public acceptance of more power and speed for EAPCs. That consultation last happened in 2010 and has long been concluded and closed.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Ah, IC, its to 500W, my mistake.

I read something about this about six weeks ago. From memory, I think that for a regulation to me varied by a ministerial announcement, there needs to be a clause in the pre-existing law which says something to the effect that a minister may vary it. I think it is called, Secondary Legislation. A good example can be found in the Covid-19 regulations. These were constantly altered as circumstances dictated and I believe the authority for ministerial variation was written into the original law.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
From memory, I think that for a regulation to me varied by a ministerial announcement, there needs to be a clause in the pre-existing law which says something to the effect that a minister may vary it.
For that would be the case.

But without such clauses in existing laws, ministerial announcements should have no legal effect.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
For that would be the case.

But without such clauses in existing laws, ministerial announcements should have no legal effect.
I think that's right. These kinds of changes are also put before a special committee of MPs before they come into force and they need to agree the change.