Powabyke euromodel

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
Oh,also,when i turn on the ignition,the six lights come on but when i open the throttle and turn on the ignition,it doesn't go through the diagnostics.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not the throttle, the motor controller/pcb.
If you connect the motor controller to the motor (no battery), you can simply tell if the controller mosfet/s have failed as they are the only item you can check out.
A failed mosfet will cause severe resistance in a motor wheel noticeable by turning it by hand.

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
Not the throttle, the motor controller/pcb.
If you connect the motor controller to the motor (no battery), you can simply tell if the controller mosfet/s have failed as they are the only item you can check out.
A failed mosfet will cause severe resistance in a motor wheel noticeable by turning it by hand.
Ok Nealh,,i removed the battery,and lifted the front wheel,i spun it backwards and found a lot of resistance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Disconnecting the controller the motor wheel should free up and rotate easier.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nealh,are these three the MOSFETs,
Where can i get these,i presume i have to change the set of three, thanks,Gerry
Yes they are the fets , the midlle one is different to the other two.
I don't know if the normal brushless ones are the same for your brushed controller.

PS. My error for some reason yet again I had included designation for a hall sensor so have edited out the error.

Last edited:

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
Yes they are the fets , the midlle one is different to the other two.
I don't know if the normal brushless ones are the same for your brushed controller, ss41 is the brushless designation for replacements.
This is the 2007 euromodel,brushed motor,i assume.
I will get the numbers off them and replace all three,after i disconnect the controller tomorrow and check resistance,thanks again nealh

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
Nealh,please see attached diagram,as MOSFET.
Yes nealh,just disconnected the motor from the controller and an absolute difference in resistance.
So,as you said,most likely the MOSFETs.
I will try to source deal with this with this problem,and let you know how i get on,,,thanks again,gerry

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nealh,please see attached diagram,as MOSFET.
The first one is a Switch mode power rectifier, it is a type of mosfet.
Second is a Mosfet.
Third is a voltage regulator, this regulates incoming higher voltage to a lower voltage probably for the likes of throttle.PAS etc,etc.
Whether it is just the fet that has failed , I don't know.
All three can be got on Ebay for not very much.

Last edited:

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
The first one is a Switch mode power rectifier, it is a type of mosfet.
Second is a Mosfet.
Third is a voltage regulator, this regulates incoming higher voltage to a lower voltage probably for the likes of throttle.PAS etc,etc.
Whether it is just the fet that has failed , I don't know.
All three can be got on Ebay for not very much.
I hate to ask,but i dont suppose you have a link to the ebay offer.
Just i would'nt know what to type in.
I did try MOSFETs for powabykes,but no go.
Thanks again,gerry

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
I hate to ask,but i dont suppose you have a link to the ebay offer.
Just i would'nt know what to type in.
I did try MOSFETs for powabykes,but no go.
Thanks again,gerry
Nealh, you're a pure genius,,,thank you

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
Nealh, you're a pure genius,,,thank you
Hi nealh,just an update of the situation.
I got the three electronic components (mosfet etc) and fitted them.
Also replaced a resistor that looked overheated.
When I connected the new batteries and switched on ign,,the bike sprang into action.
Lucky i had the front wheel off the ground, because,there was no control.
I disconnected the throttle,and still full power.!
I disconnected the crank sensor,and still full power!
I disconnected the rear wheel sensor, and still full power!.
Only way to stop it is by switching off the ignition.any ideas

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ign switch incorrectly wired ?
Have a look at this link I found to see if it helps you out.

Also does this diagram help.

Others.

Last edited:

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
Ign switch incorrectly wired ?
Have a look at this link I found to see if it helps you out.

Also does this diagram help.

Others.

Nealh,i forgot to say,even when i disconnect the light weight wiring plug fron the pcb,to the ign,it does no stop the motor.
Plus,all of the plugs are coloured by someone with permanent marker.
So,no reason to doubt the wiring connectivity.
I'll walk away from it for now,(preserve sanity)
Thanks again as always,gerry

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The throttle on your bike gives an opposite signal to identical ones for other bikes. If somebody changed the throttle for any reason, it'll be working backwards, so you have to fully twist it to get zero throttle. I thought that you had to pedal that bike to get the throttle to work, so maybe that's not the problem, but worth trying.

Have a look at the mosfet or mosfets that is/are connected to one of the motor wires. They switch on when a voltage (normally around 12V) is applied to the left leg when facing the writing on the front. Use a meter to check between ground and that/those legs to see if it/they are switched on. If not switched on, there is something wrong with the mosfet or its installation. If they are switched on, then the problem will be somewhere else, like the transistor that switches on the 12V.

Reactions: ChrisOfBristol

gerryg

Pedelecer
May 19, 2020
The throttle on your bike gives an opposite signal to identical ones for other bikes. If somebody changed the throttle for any reason, it'll be working backwards, so you have to fully twist it to get zero throttle. I thought that you had to pedal that bike to get the throttle to work, so maybe that's not the problem, but worth trying.

Have a look at the mosfet or mosfets that is/are connected to one of the motor wires. They switch on when a voltage (normally around 12V) is applied to the left leg when facing the writing on the front. Use a meter to check between ground and that/those legs to see if it/they are switched on. If not switched on, there is something wrong with the mosfet or its installation. If they are switched on, then the problem will be somewhere else, like the transistor that switches on the 12V.
I don't think the throttle is the problem, because i tested it with 5volts and it works fine,also,the motor doesn't stop,no matter which way its twisted.
Ald the mosfet and the other components on the heatsink,were replaced new this week,thanks for replying,gerry

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't think the throttle is the problem, because i tested it with 5volts and it works fine,also,the motor doesn't stop,no matter which way its twisted.
Ald the mosfet and the other components on the heatsink,were replaced new this week,thanks for replying,gerry
I don't think you understand. The Powabyke throttle gives 4v at rest and 1v when fully twisted. A non-Powabyke throttle gives 1v when at rest and 4v when fully twisted. The Powabyke controller gives no power when the throttle signal is 4v and max power when it sees 1V. If the motor doesn't slow down when you open the throttle, that's not the problem then.

I know you changed the mosfets. I was telling you how to test them so that you can find the fault. You have to test, measure and use logic with the results to solve problems. You can guess and change things randomly, but it normally takes a lot longer to get to a solution.