Powacycle Milan 2

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Hi,

I am a newbie and would like to know if any forum members own a powacycle Milan 2 and whether they think it is a worthwhile purchase.
I have searched on the need and cannot really find a decent review.

I like about 3 miles from work but as I am not fit I don't think I would be able to commute to work on a normal bicycle.

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Abs_N. I do know one member bought a Milan quite some while ago, but they may not be regularly visiting the forum.

Basically the Milan is the same bike as the Powacycle Windsor or it's gents equivalent, the Salisbury, but with it's price reduced in three main ways. The frame is steel instead of alloy, the the battery is lead acid (SLA) instead of lithium polymer, and it doesn't have sprung front forks.

What that means in practice is that the hill climb performance is reduced by the 9 kilos increase in weight from 22 kilos to 31 kilos. Since this is not a high proportion of the bike and rider weight combined, maybe 10% more, the effect will not be too severe. However, the Windsor and Salisbury are at the lower power end of the market, so if you have steep hills in your area, the Milan is far from ideal.

We do have these 4 Powacycle Windsor reviews here

and 3 Powacycle Salisbury reviews here

Last edited:

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Powacycle

Thanks Flecc for the reviews, I agree the Milan 2 looks too basic and heavy.
It looks like the price has gone down to £570 from ebikes direct.

Are there any other bikes you would recomend in the £500-£600 price bracket.

My commute to work only really has a couple of moderate hills, however I do plan to come for dinner during the lunch break, if it is a nice day:D.

Will keep researching.

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually the Milan is at £399 from Powacycle direct according to their webpages, so if you wanted one, buy from them:

Powacycle Milan

There's not a lot in the £500 to £600 region, but the £499 Synergie Mistral is highly thought of by a number of our members happy with it. It's a much lighter alloy bike with a lithium battery and sprung forks:

Synergie Mistral

There's five reviews on site here

Last edited:

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
I was referring to the Salisbury it is no £570.

I am in two minds whether to go for th Mistral or the Salisbury they are both similarly priced and have decent reviews.

The main difference is that the Salisbury has throttle control whereas the Mistral is pedelec only.

Which one would you recommend?:confused:

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
One other difference is that the Mistral is harder to pedal than the Salisbury without battery assist because it has a brush motor.

rgardiner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2009
The main difference is that the Salisbury has throttle control whereas the Mistral is pedelec only.
The Mistral also has throttle control. I've had mine now for approx 3 weeks and I really like it. I also wouldnt worry about having to pedal it without the motor unless you are going on long distance cycles.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I was referring to the Salisbury it is no £570.

I am in two minds whether to go for th Mistral or the Salisbury they are both similarly priced and have decent reviews.

Which one would you recommend?:confused:
I own a Salisbury (although did consider a Mistral).

From reading the reviews of the Mistral although it has more power and is similar in some respects, its range per charge appears to be a few miles less (20 or so miles whilst I can get 26 miles out of a Salisbury).

Also from the pictures and reviews I have seen I think the Salisbury wins slightly on overall build quality...

When I spoke to ETS last year they also mentioned it took longer to source spares from Mistral in Scotland than Powacycle in Essex - this was the Cambridge branch so it seemed understandable due to logistics and distance - for instance I find that orders from Edinburgh Bicycle take a day or so extra to deliver than from a shop in England...

Considering the Mistral (as sold by them at the time) was slightly more expensive than the Salisbury I found ETS's stance remarkably honest as most salespersons are trained to "upsell" for the more expensive model!

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for your replies guys, it does overall seem that the Salisbury is a slightly better bike.

Alex, In terms of reliability do you think the bike and battery would last a year?

How reliable has your bike been?
Have you spent more money on the bike after you purchased.

I only need the bike for commuting to and from work and will stop using the bus. The journey to work is a couple of straight roads on a slight hill gradient.

Also is it easy to pedal without using the motor?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The wife of forum member Frank9755 bought the step through equivalent of the Salisbury, the Windsor, back in July 2007. Both keen cyclists, they ride together extensively on tour and I know they have a high opinion of the bike.

So the signs are that reliability would not be an issue.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Abs, the Salisbury is definately a good purchase. No need to worry about reliability issues with this company. If you like the feel of the bike and it suits your needs, you have lots of cycling pleasure to gain. :)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Alex, In terms of reliability do you think the bike and battery would last a year?
I've only had it since December but all good so far (over 1500 miles).

I ride 13 miles each day (to work and back) before each charge, and 26 miles every 3 weeks or so to a friends house in Mid Suffolk.

Contrary to popular misconception, EA is not flat and this area has a rising gradient past Stowmarket. When I arrive at my friends there have still been two lights left on the display (though I think I would only be good for 1-2 miles after this).

How reliable has your bike been?
Have you spent more money on the bike after you purchased.
the only extras I have added to it are lights and a computer (LCD speed display).

Also is it easy to pedal without using the motor?
it is not that bad (though clearly not as easy as my much lighter 700c wheeled hybrid!) - about the same as a cheap heavy framed MTB loaded up with panniers full of tat.

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
I ordered a Salisbury bike yesterday :D and should hopefully recieve it on Monday.

I'll let you know how I get on. If I can put it together before Monday evening I will take it to work on Tuesday.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
One other difference is that the Mistral is harder to pedal than the Salisbury without battery assist because it has a brush motor.
I don't think that's going to make any difference since all motors (not sure about direct drive types) on ebikes have a freewheel to stop the motor turning when the bike is pedalled unpowered. Without it the motor would behave as a generator and could possibly damage other components - not to mention undue loading on the cyclist's legs (popped thigh muscles anyone?) ;)

Often you'll notice greater resistance if pushing the bike backwards, getting it out of the shed for instance.

Best regards.

Vikki.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think that's going to make any difference since all motors (not sure about direct drive types) on ebikes have a freewheel to stop the motor turning when the bike is pedalled unpowered.
As you say Vikki, the brushes won't make any difference

However the epicyclic gears still turn since they are meshed with the hubshell internal rack and the freewheel is between the motor and the epicylic gear. For some odd reason many Mistral owners report higher than usual drag when pedalling without power which tends to disappear at high speed downhill. This has never been satisfactorily explained, but it may be due to a factor in the freewheel design.

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Hi,

I recieved the Salisbury bike yesterday and rode it to work this morning.

I am quite happy with the purchase, I just need to slow down a bit and ride a bit more carefully :D .

Can anybody recommend a cycle computer and a pannier bag.

Ta

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Hi,

I recieved the Salisbury bike yesterday and rode it to work this morning.

I am quite happy with the purchase, I just need to slow down a bit and ride a bit more carefully :D .

Can anybody recommend a cycle computer and a pannier bag.

Ta
Yes I can,because the computer aids you with riding information and the panniers help you to carry things.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If you want waterproof panniers then there's little choice:
Ortlieb cycling Products At Wiggle - cycle

I had to be awkward and bought these as I wanted an external pocket:
Agu X-Rain 850 Klick-Fix Pannier | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
Very good but the reinforced corners have worn flat spots on my frame, I've adjusted them now so it doesn't but I wasn't over impressed by that. Agu of course have never heard of the problem before. :rolleyes:

I found throwovers were a PITA, decent clips are far better.

If you find a reliable cycle computer that lasts more than 3000 miles let me know, I'm having a bit of trouble with them.