Price impact of the "deal"?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it will take a few weeks to sort out, in many cases, it's no different sending from Italy to UK than sending from UK to Norway.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I projected that Covid will be here for at least 6 years*, this projection was formed early and I don't see any reason why it needs to change... because many people won't opt to be vaccinated, and at least 80% of the UK population need to be vaccinated before Covid can be eradicated. At least 35% say they never will consent.
But hang on .... if Covid will still be around, then won't those 35% simply get the virus, then either die and be done with, or more probably recover and thus have immunity anyway ?

Reactions: Amoto65

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But hang on .... if Covid will still be around, then won't those 35% simply get the virus, then either die and be done with, or more probably recover and thus have immunity anyway ?
We still don't know if catching it gives immunity. That doesn't always happen and even when immunity is gained, it's often only short term.

And we don't know how long the immunity is even with the vaccines. It's very early days and there is still much to find out.

FJC71

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2020
Fordulike said:
Thought PSW were a Chinese seller, so Brexit shouldn't affect stuff from them. Strange.
You seem to be able to order stuff from their Chinese warehouse but nothing from Europe. Could be an oversight on the Chinese end though and I haven't checked it by actually ordering stuff. Hope this is resolved as suppliers in this country tend not to have stock or not what you want. It could make spares and hard to get items an issue as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thought PSW were a Chinese seller, so Brexit shouldn't affect stuff from them. Strange.
they are Chinese company alright, but until now, they use a defect in the EU Common VAT Area called 'transhipment' to evade UK VAT.
Since 1/1/2021, ebay and courier companies are made to collect duty and VAT. If an item costs under £135, you don't have to pay duty, only VAT.
You will see any item sold on ebay and shipped from outside the UK will have gone up by 20%. Ebay send that money to HMRC.
I complained for sometime about the unfair competition from sellers like PSWPower. The bigger problem for their customers is that returning goods for repair is a lot more complicated, you will have to supply proof that you did pay duty and VAT on the goods you want to return.

• Informative

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
For info, Yose have recently added info to their Ebay adverts "we have UK EU warehouse,we can send it from EU or UK" so I guess they're doing whatever they have done in the past - they are still advertising free postage https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ysbattery-2012

Last edited:
  • Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
it will take a few weeks to sort out, in many cases, it's no different sending from Italy to UK than sending from UK to Norway.
If I wished to send from UK to Norway, would I have to register with Norway's HMRC equivalent, pay for that, and do regular VAT returns? And, of course, keep abreast of Norway's VAT regulations.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
All the carriers are making changes - many have increased charges to cover their extra costs. This will affect everything from every country that is sent as parcels (rather than consignments).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I wished to send from UK to Norway, would I have to register with Norway's HMRC equivalent, pay for that, and do regular VAT returns? And, of course, keep abreast of Norway's VAT regulations.
no, as exporter, you only have to ask for the tax ID of your customer, supply your invoice in 5 copies, supply the HS code, indicate the origin of the goods.
It's quite straightforward.
If you receive goods from outside the UK, if the value is under £135, you pay VAT to the courier. If it's over £135, the HS code and origin of the goods are used to calculate added duty. Then the VAT is charged on the total.
Again, it's straightforward.
The only problem is the HS code and origin. You need to look them up and agree with your supplier before shipping because although the supplier may give these details in good faith, you are ultimately responsible for fines if HMRC disagrees.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We still don't know if catching it gives immunity. That doesn't always happen and even when immunity is gained, it's often only short term.

And we don't know how long the immunity is even with the vaccines. It's very early days and there is still much to find out.
Quite. Does anyone know if there any evidence that immunity from a single shot of vaccine lasts as long as 12 weeks?

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Perhaps Brooks should se if they can make a UK logistics centre work? Some companies seem to manage it..

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
You missed the bit about our manufacturing base collapsing due to the militancy of the workforce in the 70’s. Anyone with any money to invest was not going to pile it into a business that relied on people to make stuff - hence the shift towards service industries....

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Go down that road far enough and you end up suggesting a logistics centre in each country. Which denies the cost savings claimed from centralising.
Hence the advantage of belonging to a supranational organisation like the EU, only one logistics centre need for many countries.

For example in our sphere, Giant Bicycle, Shimano and Panasonic at least have logistics centres in The Netherlands.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
From 3:30 to 7:06 he summarises the EU-UK trade situation wrt the 2 Irelands. Not sure I'm any wiser though! Hehe :)