Prices of the electricity we use to charge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Modern solar panels are self-cleaning. Don't ask me how. Mine haven't been cleaned in 15 months. A flock of pigeons hang out on my roof too.
A friend installed Pilkington's self-cleaning glass panes in 2005. Never needed cleaning, despite Scottish weather. Of a green hue, about half inch thick. They reduce visible light a bit.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240525_191853[1].jpg
20240525_192343[1].jpg

anyone see what is missing :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ct meter with Ethernet coms :eek:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks.. I looked into it a Long time ago, my roof /house faces almost dead east and was initially advised only the south facing slope of the roof was suitable for panels. As any panels on the east or west facing slopes would only work in the morning or afternoon?? Thus at the time the benefit was limited, the 'cold callers' since though i suspect the original company i spoke to sold on my details, as they all new my postcode and other details.. have suggested otherwise, and while i am aware the tech has undergone a couple of 'generations' of development since the early 2000's is it that good??
Just get as many panels as you can fit on the roof, wherever they will go. You can even put them on a rack in the back garden if you have space, or on the garage roof. When you have different locations like that where they get different amounts of sun, you need micro-inverters so that each panel can still contribute. If you have all panels in one array, the power drops right off as soon as a shadow goes over the corner of one panel. Many of the main inverters can handle two arrays of panels, so that would work with say 8 panels on your East facing roof and 8 on the West one without micro-inverters as long as there's no tree or building to put a shadow on them.

• Informative
Reactions: thelarkbox

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240527_132652[1].jpg

im using about 500w no ct meter means it does not know what to export at what rate and is in like default mode :rolleyes:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
;-)
Y, what changed between 1978 and 1982, kerching?

Btw. Are these Ads popping up at random in people's posts from the forum, or the poster?

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"The battery technology has been developed using the process of rusting and unrusting of metallic iron to store energy. This technology relies solely on abundant materials such as iron, water, and air."
we have to keep gaz fired power stations to fill in the gaps in electricity supplies until most of us go EVs, then we can use our EVs to replace those generators.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Ghost1951

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
we have to keep gaz fired power stations to fill in the gaps in electricity supplies until most of us go EVs, then we can use our EVs to replace those generators.
Given that most batteries have a limited number of charge discharge cycles, I can't see too many people allowing their very expensive EV batteries to be discharging into the grid because eco loons want gas powered generators to be removed. Gas is already low carbon. Its adoption is the main reason the UK is a world leader in reducing carbon output by getting rid of coal generation. Coal power emits about five times the carbon that methane does, per unit of energy, since methane is mostly hydrogen. Methane has one atom of carbon, and four of hydrogen (C H4). The UK now emits only 50% of what it did in 1990.

Methane generated electricity emits 185 grams of co2 per kilowatt hour
Coal generated electricity emits 939 grams per Kilowatt hour.

Coal is FIVE times as carbon intense as methane.

China burns 4.31 BILLION tonnes of coal a year.
UK burns 7.6 million tonnes of coal a year.

China burns 567 times as much coal as the UK.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Given that most batteries have a limited number of charge discharge cycles, I can't see too many people allowing their very expensive EV batteries to be discharging into the grid because eco loons want gas powered generators to be removed. Gas is already low carbon. Its adoption is the main reason the UK is a world leader in reducing carbon output by getting rid of coal generation. Coal power emits about five times the carbon that methane does, per unit of energy, since methane is mostly hydrogen. Methane has one atom of carbon, and four of hydrogen (C H4). The UK now emits only 50% of what it did in 1990.
the number of cycles exceed 5000 in new generation batteries so using them to reduce the cost of kwh makes sense.
It's a shame that progress in new batteries don't spread yet to e-bikes.
However, when solid state batteries become mainstream in the next 2-3 years, we'll see them in e-bikes.

CATL Launches Superfast Charging Battery Shenxing, Opens Up Era of EV Superfast Charging
BYD’s new ‘blade’ battery promises 1000km+ range (whichcar.com.au)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Ghost1951

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
the number of cycles exceed 5000 in new generation batteries so using them to reduce the cost of kwh makes sense.
It's a shame that progress in new batteries don't spread yet to e-bikes.
However, when solid state batteries become mainstream in the next 2-3 years, we'll see them in e-bikes.

CATL Launches Superfast Charging Battery Shenxing, Opens Up Era of EV Superfast Charging
BYD’s new ‘blade’ battery promises 1000km+ range (whichcar.com.au)
I'm interested in the new battery chemistries we have been hearing about. They may make a huge difference, especially since some of them employ much less costly materials and with the added bonus of less volatility as regards fire. I think it was Toyota that was talking up their solid state developments, but many commentators point out that they have a habit of announcing marvellous developments that come to nothing.

I just looked over that link you posted Woosh. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see these new battery technologies on the market because the promises made would revolutionise transport, but a lot of what is being said there is gibberish.

What does, "Accelerating extraction of lithium ions. Shenxing leverages the super electronic network cathode technology and fully nano-crystallized LFP cathode material to create a super-electronic network, which facilitates the extraction of lithium ions and the rapid response to charging signals." actually mean? HOW are these ranges and charge times being achieved?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I just looked over that link you posted Woosh. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see these new battery technologies on the market because the promises made would revolutionise transport, but a lot of what is being said there is gibberish.
blame the journalists. The Shengshin batteries have 4C maximum charging capability, that's about 10 times what can be found on e-bikes. We charge our batteries at 0.2C and up to 0.4C. By depositing the anode maeterials with nanometers precision, CATL managed to reduce swelling when Lithium arrives in the electrode, boosting the maximum charging current.
If you go to California today, you'll see how much electricity is generated by solar panels. They sometimes produce more electricity than the grid can take, so they have invested in very large storage batteries. The use of natural gas powered stations goes down by about 50% a year. It won't be long before California does away with the gas generators.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm interested in the new battery chemistries we have been hearing about. They may make a huge difference, especially since some of them employ much less costly materials and with the added bonus of less volatility as regards fire. I think it was Toyota that was talking up their solid state developments, but many commentators point out that they have a habit of announcing marvellous developments that come to nothing.

What does, "Accelerating extraction of lithium ions. Shenxing leverages the super electronic network cathode technology and fully nano-crystallized LFP cathode material to create a super-electronic network, which facilitates the extraction of lithium ions and the rapid response to charging signals." actually mean? HOW are these ranges and charge times being achieved?
I've been on this forum for 14 years. Every month or so during that time, we get a thread about some new breakthrough in battery development. Some forum members even invested in them. Not one of those breakthroughs has been realised. Instead, we see a small percentage improvement each year from small changes to the battery construction or material. In 10 years time, we'll have 20ah 48v batteries that weigh 3kg for our ebikes.

Ghost1951

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I've been on this forum for 14 years. Every month or so during that time, we get a thread about some new breakthrough in battery development. Some forum members even invested in them. Not one of those breakthroughs has been realised. Instead, we see a small percentage improvement each year from small changes to the battery construction or material. In 10 years time, we'll have 20ah 48v batteries that weigh 3kg for our ebikes.
Yes -an informed and common sense view here. I REALLY would like to see a magical step change in battery technology, but unfortunately we are up against physics and chemistry - though it is possible that less fire prone technologies and faster charge rates may yet be possible. The rest though is down to limits imposed by physics and chemistry. If I was proved wrong on this, I would be delighted and happy to admit I was wrong. Stranger things have happened though.

Ghost1951

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Only 4% of UK electric power is being produced by fossil fuel burning at this time, if you exclude the 4% or so being produced by the greenwash con of 'Biomass' which involved pelletising American forests and dragging them across the Atlantic so that conmen politicians can claim green credentials while despoiling forests.

Still, that aside, we are still doing rather well on that for now. Of course on other days the wind stops and sometimes for a long time.

Check anytime what the fossil fuel / renewable mix is by going here:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Only 4% of UK electric power is being produced by fossil fuel burning at this time
it's 40.8% - not 4%.
Renewables contribute about 40% of our electricity (cheapest), 18% come from nuclear (eye wateringly expensive) and 40% from fossil fuels.