Prices of the electricity we use to charge

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The second best time is now."
A popular Chinese proverb apparently. :)

(France started building their reactors in the 70's to 80's. Originally licensed for 30yrs, they are still running, inspected regularly, producing 70% of their electricity. And they're building more!)
France did not have North Sea oil so made a strategic decision to ensure they had energy security. They have also have some wind, hydro & even tidal energy generation. There was a small amount of coal but the mines were closed years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We were part of the EU EVOL project building a molten salt fast reactor. I wonder if Sunak wants us to get back in there or go it alone with RR modular project

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
go it alone with RR modular project
This doesn't convince me, particularly as RR are trailing NuScale at least and there are so many other rivals. Nor do I believe SMRs are more environmentally friendly, the marine power units have been quite the opposite.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't see the attraction of SMRs. I thought we should concentrate our efforts in producing a commercial GEN4 reactor as soon as possible though a state owned company.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Screenshot_20221029-194317_Chrome.jpg
"Science" says more "Greening area equivalent to two times the continental United States". That means potentially more food, more co2 absorbed, more oxygen to breath. Yay! ;)

Reactions: Nellie

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
more oxygen to breath. Yay!
we have more oxygen in the earth crust (46%) than any other element so we won't run out of it.
The risk is we'll choke to death with just 0.5%-1% CO2 in the air we breathe.

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Very interesting! I can't wait to see that scale up.

From the same researchers:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
we have more oxygen in the earth crust (46%) than any other element so we won't run out of it.
The risk is we'll choke to death with just 0.5%-1% CO2 in the air we breathe.
Yes, even 1% or 10,000ppm co2 in air apparently causes hypercapnia, a definite no-no.

Earth's past has seen v.high levels of co2, esp before man. Sea life must've used a different chemistry to us, plants do.

0.04% co2 doesn't sound much compared to the other 99.6% of our atmosphere. So is this trace gas is made to sound scary by using ppm, parts per Million?

Pity NOAA measure the level in Hawaii, below an active volcano, Mauna Loa. Wonder what effect that has on their readings? (psst, "outgassing", I do that sometimes, hehe;)).
Screenshot_20221029-194245_Chrome.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Earth's past has seen v.high levels of co2, esp before man. Sea life must've used a different chemistry to us, plants do.
I don't know but fish don't tolerate CO2 any better than we do.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The only good news about the oceans becoming more acidic because of increased CO2 being absorbed into them, and becoming more salty because warmer skies retain moisture... is that for a brief time, less salt and vinegar will be required for fish and chips. Silver linings. :(

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
It is a "let them eat cake" attitude from the authorities. How did it go for that autocracy?o_O
And how are electric bike sales doing in Oxford? ;)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I don't know but fish don't tolerate CO2 any better than we do.
Thankfully they too ride bicycles.
the-fish-needs-a-bike.png

And how are electric bike sales doing in Oxford?
Must be quite a market as there are far more Ebike shops in Oxford than in Glasgow. Population size for population size. Oxford is about 150,000, Glasgow is 1.7 million.

Reactions: MikelBikel

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Out of thin air. This enzyme can turn hydrogen in the atmosphere to energy

Researchers find 70 percent increase in atmospheric hydrogen over the past 150 years

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Is that the data that showed co2 rising 800years *after* the temperature rose?
Why was it so warm in the Eemian period, solar activity, too much beans, or fish farts? Hehe:D
(And what happened ~12,000yrs ago to cause that steep rise ;)) Greenland oldest ice cores.jpg

Reactions: Nellie

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is that the data that showed co2 rising 800years *after* the temperature rose?
Why was it so warm in the Eemian period, solar activity, too much beans, or fish farts? Hehe:D
(And what happened ~12,000yrs ago to cause that steep rise ;)) View attachment 50658
What does it matter? We occupy the only living open-top naturally occurring spaceship we know of, and we're destroying it's carbon scubbers. If we have the means to regulate atmospheric gasses to continue living here, we should.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Viable superconducting material created at low temperature and low pressure

"For example, Dias predicts that the nitrogen-doped lutetium hydride will greatly accelerate progress in developing tokamak machines to achieve fusion."

Reactions: Woosh and POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"For example, Dias predicts that the nitrogen-doped lutetium hydride will greatly accelerate progress in developing tokamak machines to achieve fusion."
Theoretically, hydrogen needs 30kbars to superconduct.
They managed to lower the requirement to 10 kbars.
It's an interesting work but to go from 10 kbars to 1 is still a long way.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015