Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They are relative measurements. There are 30 El Niño recorded events, so it's not something new. I don't pay much attention to these events because it's difficult to separate local drivers from global observations. I don't care much for global warming anyway. These things will be sorted out soon enough while we make life on earth unliveable for not just animals but ourselves too.
It seems to me that most global warming activists are funded by fossil oil companies. While they are busy fighting one another, governments have the excuse to do nothing except a token project here and there like the COPs. Poor countries go there asking for compensations, rich countries go there to blame one another. Little comes out of any of them. Just look at the fight on Generation 4 nuclear reactors, you can see the delaying tactics being plainly played out. Politicians are lobbied to do nothing on the ground of nuclear safety. Why don't they care about the poison that coal and gas stations pump into our atmosphere? That's safety issue too.
BTW, China is the most active country developing Gen 4 reactors while we do nothing.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You guys should have started a whole new thread as this is so far off the beaten track of the original.
I have noticed for along time that the forum has lost a lot of it's etiquette with threads totally loosing the plot that they turn in to 'brexit type debate threads' where for most there is little or no interest.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You guys should have started a whole new thread as this is so far off the beaten track of the original.
I have noticed for along time that the forum has lost a lot of it's etiquette with threads totally loosing the plot that they turn in to 'brexit type debate threads' where for most there is little or no interest.
We ran out of things to say about the price of electricity as soon as someone said, "The price keeps going up". Can you add anything else useful to the debate because it's a subject that affects all of us? I've done my bit by mentioning my solar panels, but I forgot to mention these, which are a lot of fun. When I'm making excess power, I can charge them up with about 5 KWh total so that if we get a couple of dull days in a row. I run my lights, laptop, cooker, and kettle from them so that my main batteries don't go flat, and I therefore don't need to buy energy from the grid. When I export energy every day when the sun comes out, I only get 5p for it, but when I have to buy it, it costs 40p. These power stations save me about £1 every dull day, but more important, If there's a power cut, I'm fine

They have many different inputs for charging, and, as you can see, every type of output to supply power to whatever you want, including charging my Ebike batteries:

• Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
OK - bear in mind it takes a little time to look at each link
Africa WMO "State of the Climate in Africa 2022"

So that included a useful graph which I think answers your original riddle

Screenshot_20231113-124130.png

If you look at the global warming rate over land it is much higher than over the oceans (70% of worlds surface)

I think the Africa and Asia warming claims are correct (Asia has a lot of land mass at high latitudes)

Reading the Australia article I think the Australia claim is that it would warm faster in the future, not that it has done so far.

SImilarly, I skim read the wmo report behind the Carribbean article, I couldn't find any claim about Carribbean warming being higher than the global average in the wmo report

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They are relative measurements. There are 30 El Niño recorded events, so it's not something new. I don't pay much attention to these events because it's difficult to separate local drivers from global observations. I don't care much for global warming anyway. These things will be sorted out soon enough while we make life on earth unliveable for not just animals but ourselves too.
It seems to me that most global warming activists are funded by fossil oil companies. While they are busy fighting one another, governments have the excuse to do nothing except a token project here and there like the COPs. Poor countries go there asking for compensations, rich countries go there to blame one another. Little comes out of any of them. Just look at the fight on Generation 4 nuclear reactors, you can see the delaying tactics being plainly played out. Politicians are lobbied to do nothing on the ground of nuclear safety. Why don't they care about the poison that coal and gas stations pump into our atmosphere? That's safety issue too.
BTW, China is the most active country developing Gen 4 reactors while we do nothing.
You're missing the point. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how global warming activism works and how it's a bit like a religion for some people, but I'm more intersted in the science of how everywhere in the world is warming twice as fast as everywhere else. There must be an explanation. None of those proposed so far hold any water, which is why I think it's related to temperature entanglement or the flat Earth consiparcy theory, where all the governments in the world are trying to convince us that the earth is a globe for some reason.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I gave you the link above. here it is again:
Yes - thanks - that is the link that I followed - that is to a news report on a wmo report :

I skim read the wmo report and I don't think it makes any such claim - just the journalist misreporting the wmo report (I think)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You're missing the point. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how global warming activism works and how it's a bit like a religion for some people, but I'm more intersted in the science of how everywhere in the world is warming twice as fast as everywhere else. There must be an explanation. None of those proposed so far hold any water, which is why I think it's related to temperature entanglement or the flat Earth consiparcy theory, where all the governments in the world are trying to convince us that the earth is a globe for some reason.
I know you just try to wind me up. You surely know that everywhere contains everywhere so when comparing a property between two groups A and B, A cannot be identical to B so neither A nor B can be 'everywhere'. A can be every where on land and B can be everywhere else or the whole earth but not just everywhere.

Reactions: flecc

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
GRL Paper

....Global mean temperatures averaged for the last 25 years (1980–2004) over land and ocean were 0.38 ± 0.14°C and 0.19 ± 0.06°C respectively, above the 1961–90 climatology. These numbers suggest a warming ratio of ∼2.0...

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes - thanks - that is the link that I followed - that is to a news report on a wmo report :

I skim read the wmo report and I don't think it makes any such claim - just the journalist misreporting the wmo report (I think)
It's a weather information channel though, not a political one. Why would they want to misrepresent the truth? That would only hurt their reputation as a reliable information source?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It's a weather information channel though, not a political one. Why would they want to misrepresent the truth? That would only hurt their reputation as a reliable information source?
Who knows - makes a better headline ? Get more clicks ? - I never trust journalists to accurately report science - have a look at The Telegraph, Times, Express, Spectator, Mail reporting !

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
"Two recently published studies confirm that the climate thousands of years ago was as warm or warmer than today’s – a fact disputed by some believers in the narrative of largely human-caused global warming. That was an era when CO2 levels were much lower than now, long before industrialization and SUVs."
Medieval Warm period - English vino anyone?
Roman Warm period - Lots more grapes all over
Also just as warm up to 6000yrs ago after ice age ended 11,000yrs ago. Oh, what melted that, woolly mammoth farts? :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
40p per kwh unit is very expensive D8veh.
My unit charges for Octobers bill was Electric averaged 17.47p per kwh & 39.08p SC and Gas averaged 5.08p per kwh & 25.56p SC.

Currently I am on Octopus Tracker tariff and the daily kwh rate for both varies with the wholesale price.

For the past fortnight my gas kwh rate has varied from 4.67p to 5.93p, averaging 5.21p.
Electric kwh for the same fortnight has varied from 13.73p to 19.86p., averaging 19.01p.

Last edited:
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
" Ebico Standard (1st October 2023 - 5th November 2023)
Energy Charges
Energy Used
365.8 kWh @ 25.57p/kWh £93.55
:mad: Standing Charge 36 days @ 49.83p/day £17.94 :mad:
Subtotal of charges before VAT
£111.49
VAT @ 5.00%
£5.57
Total Electricity Charges £117.06
"

Last edited:
  • Informative

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
40p per kwh unit is very expensive D8veh.
My unit charges for Octobers bill was Electric averaged 17.47p per kwh & 39.08p SC and Gas averaged 5.08p per kwh & 25.56p SC.

Currently I am on Octopus Tracker tariff and the daily kwh rate for both varies with the wholesale price.

For the past fortnight my gas kwh rate has varied from 4.67p to 5.93p, averaging 5.21p.
Electric kwh for the same fortnight has varied from 13.73p to 19.86p., averaging 19.01p.
It's the standing charge that's the killer. I think Octopus quoted me around 60p. I hardly use any electricity now, so the 40p isn't much of a problem.

If you get batteries, even without a solar system, you can make money with some of the more avant guarde tarifs that have a variable rate through the day. You can charge the batteries at night time on the lowest rate, then sell it back at the peak time for as high as £1.25 a unit. batteries are about £1000 for 3.5 kwh.

• Informative

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's the standing charge that's the killer. I think Octopus quoted me around 60p. I hardly use any electricity now, so the 40p isn't much of a problem.

If you get batteries, even without a solar system, you can make money with some of the more avant guarde tarifs that have a variable rate through the day. You can charge the batteries at night time on the lowest rate, then sell it back at the peak time for as high as £1.25 a unit. batteries are about £1000 for 3.5 kwh.
This is something that interests me.
I have a small (1.75Kwp) array. It's paying me around 52p/unit for generation with an assumed 50% export paid at around 3.5p/unit. So we have a generation only meter. Obviously we use most,if not all, of it, but the annual income more than covers the import bill.
I have considered batteries but the maths defeats me.
A 'plumbed in' system does come expensive and gets tangled up in regs of various sorts. But stand alone units just plug in so escape all, having been approved as portable appliances.
Presumably your import/export tarriff relies on a smart meter? Living in rural Wales in a house with 3ft thick stone walls, it would struggle to get a consistant phone signal. This is the part that gives me pause, not wishing to loose the digital meter whose readings I take and send in regularly.

• Informative

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is something that interests me.
I have a small (1.75Kwp) array. It's paying me around 52p/unit for generation with an assumed 50% export paid at around 3.5p/unit. So we have a generation only meter. Obviously we use most,if not all, of it, but the annual income more than covers the import bill.
I have considered batteries but the maths defeats me.
A 'plumbed in' system does come expensive and gets tangled up in regs of various sorts. But stand alone units just plug in so escape all, having been approved as portable appliances.
Presumably your import/export tarriff relies on a smart meter? Living in rural Wales in a house with 3ft thick stone walls, it would struggle to get a consistant phone signal. This is the part that gives me pause, not wishing to loose the digital meter whose readings I take and send in regularly.
My main system is a solar panel array, inverter/charger ant 9kwh batteries. That was installed and connected to the grid by professionals with all the certificates that are necessary if you want to export. You can't get paid for any export unless you have the MCS certificate, so if you want to export, it would probably be best to pay someone to install whatever you have, even if you buy the stuff yourself.

Like with boilers, the installers can buy them trade and make additional profit if they supply and fit. If you want fitting only, they bump up the price so that they make the same overall profit.

For any off-grid installation, you only need the same certificate of competence that you need for installing a wall light switch or shower.

Those power stations in the photo above aren't installed, so they don need any certification other than what the supplier has.

• Informative

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
In Ireland with 'electricIreland'
0.397€ per unit, €0.9563 /day Standing charge, 4% discount if paid on time, but plus 9% "value added" tax.
Greetings from the banana Republic comrades, hehe :)
(Must check this solar lark again, thought it was a 25yr payback thing that broke down in 5yrs?)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
In Ireland with 'electricIreland'
0.397€ per unit, €0.9563 /day Standing charge, 4% discount if paid on time, but plus 9% "value added" tax.
Greetings from the banana Republic comrades, hehe :)
(Must check this solar lark again, thought it was a 25yr payback thing that broke down in 5yrs?)
Modern solar panels are much more weather resistant than they used to be. Everything is guaranteed for ten years, which is approximately the payback period if you do everything right.

With a standing charge that high, you need to go off grid, so it's vital that you can charge from a generator. I wish I'd done that now.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Founder of Cornish Lithium on how mining could boost the South West economy and power the UK's electronic future

The resurrection of Cornish mining
Is Britain's second industrial revolution already underway?

Cornish Tin granted royal approval for gold search as part of Cornwall's mining revival

Last edited: