soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

not if we get them first ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I am reading just fine, I didn't deny that there is a cost. All EV insurance is much more expensive than for ICs, all part of the higher costs for them now that I've already acknowledged.

But it won't stop the process of them continuing to take over the market.
According to comparison provider Confused.com, the average premium across all car types has increased by 58% in the past 12 months, from £586 to a record £924.

However, this masks higher premium increases for EVs, which in the same period shot up 72%, compared with 29% for petrol and diesel cars.

Why has the insurance for EVs increased more than double that of diesel cars?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

because the cost of repair is not worth it esp when no one will sell you parts out of warranty its a bin job.

and even if they will sell the parts the cost of repair is not worth it so bin it and buy a new one ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

smart car, now go to mcdonalds and get me fkn big mac meal ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lithium battery fire scares of course, chiefly due to Teslas poor history in this respect and exacerbated by all the e-scooter/e-bike incidents.

But as ever illogical. I also get lumbered with a silly high premium for my Nissan Leaf, but they have an impeccable history in this respect and for 10 of the 13 years of EV existence were the worlds largest selling EVs.

Reactions: Croxden and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

because the cost of repair is not worth it esp when no one will sell you parts out of warranty its a bin job.

and even if they will sell the parts the cost of repair is not worth it so bin it and buy a new one ;)
Utter nonsense, you are getting them confused with pedelecs.

EVs are far more reliable than IC cars and all spares are available. Batteries are proving far longer lived than ever thought at first with ten years or more commonplace and their replacement cost is falling.

And I'm sure the insurance companies are very pleased with their declining values anyway. High premiums but very low payout for the odd rare writeoff. What's not to love?

Reactions: Croxden and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
electric cars have computers go get a iphone 15 screen and fit it ur self no chance os out of date nothing works like i said a throw away item that you do not own or can fix.

plus they can just shut it down by remote limit the speed charge you for heated seats ect the middle class wont be driving any cars by 2030 because they wont be able to afford to.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20231218_112937[1].jpg
20231218_112942[1].jpg

:oops:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20231218_114851[1].jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some hefty charges EDF have levied for you to supply lecky.

My Octopus tariff is 41.03p SC and yesterdays kw/h price was less then 14p.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its about 130 quid a month atm will be cheaper when global warming starts again :cool:

20231218_120118[1].jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
electric cars have computers go get a iphone 15 screen and fit it ur self no chance os out of date nothing works like i said a throw away item that you do not own or can fix.

plus they can just shut it down by remote limit the speed charge you for heated seats ect
The environmentally inclined who buy EVs dont care about such peripheral rubbish, they are only concerned with the main issue.

the middle class wont be driving any cars by 2030 because they wont be able to afford to.
This is the one bit of sense in your post, there will indeed be a lot less car owners in future, as I've long been forecasting.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The environmentally inclined who buy EVs dont care about such peripheral rubbish, they are only concerned with the main issue.

then they are stupid ill informed ppl like id buy a new bosch smart ebike ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

then they are stupid ill informed ppl
No they are not, they know of these peripheries but also know whether they have value:

Heated seats are worthless and potentially medically harmful. They are just sales gimmicks and I've never had a need to use my unwanted ones in all six years.

I-phones or any smartphones are another way of getting silly people to spend on junk they only imagine they need. Low cost Mobile phones with text capability made sense. Turning them into expensive universal gadgets, sometimes causing mental illness, makes no sense.

And as for remote control of my car, although theoretically possible it will never happen in the lifetime of the car or myself.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The environmentally inclined who buy EVs dont care about such peripheral rubbish, they are only concerned with the main
That's probably right, but maybe they should. There's a lot of discussion about the environmental impact of making the batteries. Also, 43% of the UK electricity comes from fossil fuels, and to convert from oil to electricity, there are significant losses, then further losses to transfer it into your battery, then the motor is only about 70% efficient overall. If you calculate it all out, there isn't a big difference in the amount of fossil fuels used per mile, and if you're a low mileage user, the environmental impact of the car's manufacture becomes more significant.

As I said before, if you care about burning too much fossil fuels, it would be much more sensible to put some solar panels on you house than buy an EV. The investment, not only pays back financially, but makes a 100% contribution to carbon reduction, and leaves you with all the advantages of driving a diesel car. My solar system has reduced CO2 by 4.5 tons in the last 12 months and I've produced around 100kg of CO2 from my car. That's a nearly 50:1 difference from an investment of £12,500, which is about how much it would have cost to swap my car for an electric one that would still have produced about 50kg of CO2 from the same mileage. That means that pound for pound the reduction in CO2 is 100 times more effective with solar panels.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they can track ur can open the doors and shut it down at the push of a button via gps and wifi self driving wont be long esp with les and less on the roads in the first place.

it is all about total control now go eat :p some worms

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they can track ur can open the doors and shut it down at the push of a button via gps and wifi self driving wont be long esp with les and less on the roads in the first place.

It'll be at least 20 years before that can happen, so at entering my 88th year I couldn't give a damn!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Did you see when McMaster got locked in his EV? His 12v battery didn't get charged from the main one, and there was no way out. Luckily, it happened when he was at home, so after a couple of calls to Porsche, he rang his wife and got her to do some sort of complicated emergency opening procedure. Can you imagine what would have happened if the car caught fire and burned the 12v battery wires. There'd be no way of getting out. That could happen on an ICE car too, so make sure you get a car that has doors that can be mechanically opened from the inside without those electronic locks that engage after 10 seconds

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20231218_125918[1].jpg

take me 20 years to work out where all the fkn light bulbs go :oops:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's probably right, but maybe they should. There's a lot of discussion about the environmental impact of making the batteries. Also, 43% of the UK electricity comes from fossil fuels, and to convert from oil to electricity, there are significant losses, then further losses to transfer it into your battery, then the motor is only about 70% efficient overall. If you calculate it all out, there isn't a big difference in the amount of fossil fuels used per mile, and if you're a low mileage user, the environmental impact of the car's manufacture becomes more significant.

As I said before, if you care about burning too much fossil fuels, it would be much more sensible to put some solar panels on you house than buy an EV. The investment, not only pays back financially, but makes a 100% contribution to carbon reduction, and leaves you with all the advantages of driving a diesel car. My solar system has reduced CO2 by 4.5 tons in the last 12 months and I've produced around 100kg of CO2 from my car. That's a nearly 50:1 difference from an investment of £12,500, which is about how much it would have cost to swap my car for an electric one that would still have produced about 50kg of CO2 from the same mileage. That means that pound for pound the reduction in CO2 is 100 times more effective with solar panels.
Fully agree, but as I made clear six years ago, I didn't buy mine for any environmental reason since as you say, that would have been pointless. My purchase was solely for specific personal reasons, plus the cost was immaterial to me.

And living in a ground floor flat, I have no roof for solar panels.

But on the core of this subject, dont forget the end game is to greatly reduce motor vehicle use and that is already happening and will continue to, so the environmental gains are not fictional.