Prices of the electricity we use to charge

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
The position is far worse, the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero are lying to hide the truth, in part by under reporting the total number of meters. Only 57.1% of the smart meters in this country are transmitting readings wirelessly.

And it is going to get far worse.

According to the Parliament's Public Accounts Committee, 7 million of the smart meters that have already been installed are about to go dark between now and 2030, during which time 2G and 3G networks are being gradually switched off by the phone networks. It seems many of the existing meters were not made with 5G or even 4G communication modules, since at the time they were too expensive or didn't even exist.

New technologies are being developed, but they of course will need to be installed all over again, no doubt that cost once again falling on the poor consumer.

The whole smart meter scheme has been a confidence trick on the public, falsely persuading them to foot the bill in the name of a non existent efficiency gain. In truth it was solely intended to benefit the electricity companies by saving them the cost of having their army of meter readers, but their widespread failure to transmit readings means they haven't even performed that function sufficiently.
Only the electric part of our smart meter transmits. Last week we had our gas boiler serviced and the engineer said basically what Flecc has just posted. I give both meter readings myself every month to stop the guessing game. The only advantage for me is I can see if "SHE" has left something juicy on which happened this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only the electric part of our smart meter transmits. Last week we had our gas boiler serviced and the engineer said basically what Flecc has just posted. I give both meter readings myself every month to stop the guessing game. The only advantage for me is I can see if "SHE" has left something juicy on which happened this morning.
I'm electricity only and despite my warning EDF back in 2016 that a smart meter could not work here due to there being no mobile signal, they installed one anyway, insisting they could get it working. A little over three months later they wrote to me apologising that they'd been unable to, so it's always been a dead installation and being an early redundant type can never work now anyway. I've fed the reading online on the 20th of every month ever since.

I soon switched to Bulb anyway who were always happy with that and when they were transferred into Oxygen they've been happy and co-operative too.

It's the lack of mobile coverage that is the fundamental of this smart meter problem, they will never work until that is corrected. The government's mythology is that Britain has 95% mobile coverage, but it's not remotely near to that as the energy companies know only too well. With 2G and 3G coming to an end and the big switch off by 2025 when the analogue phone system shuts down, we will be become one of the worst connected countries in the world.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
For a sureal, perhaps dated, but imho visionary take on AI i suggest John Sladek's Roderick novels and 'the reproductive system'.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The reason for the Asian kids getting hospitalised is the lack of vitamin A in their diets. It's nothing to worry about for UK; however, something will happen to stop the USA elections proceeding next November, so don't be surprised to see another new virus, aliens landing, a nuclear attack, cyber attack, rogue AI attack or something else before then. On the other hand, they might just cancel democracy and declare a dictatorship, which is effectively what they've done already. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The reason for the Asian kids getting hospitalised is the lack of vitamin A in their diets. It's nothing to worry about for UK; however, something will happen to stop the USA elections proceeding next November, so don't be surprised to see another new virus, aliens landing, a nuclear attack, cyber attack, rogue AI attack or something else before then. On the other hand, they might just cancel democracy and declare a dictatorship, which is effectively what they've done already. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
the republicans reps, many of whom are octagenarians, may lose their majority in the house of representatives in the next 2-3 months. Trump is in deep litigation trouble and he begins to get confused. I can't see the Reps winning the next US presidential election even with Russians money.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
the republicans reps, many of whom are octagenarians, may lose their majority in the house of representatives in the next 2-3 months. Trump is in deep litigation trouble and he begins to get confused. I can't see the Reps winning the next US presidential election even with Russians money.
You've been reading the Guardian and BBC too much. Trump's miles ahead even in the dem-leaning polls. They've got nothing on him for any of his prosecutions. Even if they put him in jail, he can still stand, win and pardon himself. He's still as sharp as ever. It sounds like you fell for the fake story, when they clipped a video of him pretending to be be Biden. You need to use a greater variety of sources for your info.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I watch Trump's court cases on yt channel 'meidastouch', Trump is really in troubles. His businesses are in the hand of the NY state presecutor. In Georgia, all his old followers have turned against him. Same in Washington DC. He may even go to prison before the presidential election.

Reactions: Croxden

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I watch Trump's court cases on yt channel 'meidastouch', Trump is really in troubles. His businesses are in the hand of the NY state presecutor. In Georgia, all his old followers have turned against him. Same in Washington DC. He may even go to prison before the presidential election.
Do you know what that case Is about? He's accused of overstating the value of his Mar O Lago place as collateral for a loan. The prosecuter valued his billion dollar pad at 19 million. Just one problem: A witness from the bank said that it was the bank that valued it for the loan, not Trump. Not that it matters. They'll find him guilty anyway and try to seize his property. That's one of the reasons that they can't let the election go ahead. If he would win, they're all in dire straits.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Toyota nears mass production of solid-state batteries

We’re working with semi-solid battery technology

A recently published report by Beryl has said that 35% of users have reduced the use of their own cars in favour of using an e-bike or e-scooter.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Toyota nears mass production of solid-state batteries

We’re working with semi-solid battery technology

A recently published report by Beryl has said that 35% of users have reduced the use of their own cars in favour of using an e-bike or e-scooter.
That's interesting because the Toyota CEO has always been sketical about the future of battery EVs and there was a recent announcement about them shutting down EV production.

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Red sock puppet or Blue sock puppet, still both puppets. Who's the puppet master? How to know, "qui bono", who profits, or as the whistle-blower said "follow the money". :cool:

Meanwhile, in other news, COP-off 28..
When public & private, etc get combined in the same organisation, what is that called? I can't quite remember, does it begin with a F or C? But still T-yranny whatever the name.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's interesting because the Toyota CEO has always been sketical about the future of battery EVs and there was a recent announcement about them shutting down EV production.
Many of the commentators are ignoring the political aspect and have failed to notice that Honda too is dragging it's heel on EVs, or even realising that Toyota and Honda are the only truly Japanese car companies. The rest were all wholly or partially bought out by the west in the huge 1990s Japanese economic slump.

The background to why these two are so cautious about EVs is the dominance in rare earths supply of their traditional enemy China, a dependance that frightens them.

Toyota knows that most of the world will not be able to dash into EVs so are going to rely heavily on that petrol and diesel market for many years yet. They are already very strong in that second and third world market anyway with their ubiquitous Land Cruisers and Pickups. So there is plenty of time for them to adjust to future change and no need to jump off the cliff yet.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
First Drive: Toyota's $10,000 Pickup Truck Is Perfect. So, Why Are We Sad?
This Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series lookalike is a no-frills, cost-reduced Hilux flatbed/pickup optimized for lower-GDP markets.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Energy bills could rise by £16 to cover customers' debts

Last edited: