Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
JCB's hydrogen engine is an ICE. Where is the innovation?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017 and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

make that go 200 mph :p

Reactions: PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Reactions: MikelBikel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: MikelBikel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like they are rigging the prices again from April , with gas wholesale prices coming down the retail price is going up for both KWH & SC.

Also the electric is being rigged KWH unit price a bit lower but hiking the SC.

Welcome again to RIP OFF Britain.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also the electric is being rigged KWH unit price a bit lower but hiking the SC.
Same for me, but with the switch from Bulb to Octopus it results in a slight reduction overall.

Looks like all prices will drop in July though. They'll need to if this country is going to avoid French style riots next winter.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
It's been proven that it was a bomb that caused tragedy.
The video posited the known leak of explosive hydrogen and electrical charge in storm. Approach an earthed steel mooring gantry, spark, bang!
Were the Brit, French & US hydrogen airships also sabotaged?

"Dozens of hydrogen airships exploded or burned in the years before before the Hindenburg disaster finally convinced the world that hydrogen is not an acceptable lifting-gas for airships carrying people."

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
R101 was our big loss.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Robert Peston is getting wiser in his old age or perhaps the fact the jackboot of his former employer is off his neck.

Looks like they are rigging the prices again from April
Some short sellers overseas are holding a belief that some "whale" is rigging energy prices globally, it may translate to; get prices as low a possible, buy en masse and sell at an extreme profit when demand returns. The next few periods may provide some relief to UK consumers, but me, I feel, in the long run things are going to get much worse.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The next few periods may provide some relief to UK consumers, but me, I feel, in the long run things are going to get much worse.
I think the opposite is going to happen. Energy is fundamentally cheap in the long term. Already the cost of generating electricity by solar and wind is only a tenth of what EDF/British Gas/Scottish Power etc are charging. I pay currently 39p+VAT for 1kWH before government relief. Over the next couple of decades, solar is going to be even much cheaper than current price. You are looking at maybe 1p-2p a kWH. The rest is tax and profit.
In the following 100 years, small sized Generation 4, 5, 6 molten salt nuclear reactors (smaller than a 40ft container) will reduce the cost of generating electricity even further while burning the bulk of previous nuclear waste. Beyond, there will be fusion reactors.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The run on Deutsche Bank does not surprise me. All the banks, big and small, are hit by rapidly increasing lending rates. The bigger the bank, the bigger the loss on their sovereign bonds. They bought them when interest rate was low, now the rate on their borrowing is higher than what the premium on their sovereign bonds bring, so they chalk up very big losses. As the loss on bonds is paper loss, they don't have to show it on their balance sheets, hence the suspicion that they intentionally hide huge losses. Fear and the vultures move in. If central banks have any sense, they should reverse the recent rate increases. They do more harm to the economy than inflation.

• Agree

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It's been proven that it was a bomb that caused tragedy.
Eyewitness accounts of the colour of the initial explosion. A totally different colour to what Hydrogen burns. But it's nasty stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Over the next couple of decades, solar is going to be even much cheaper than current price
Fundamentally, I don't disagree with your conclusion, yes energy does get much cheaper, however will that translate to lower end user prices...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Fundamentally, I don't disagree with your conclusion, yes energy does get much cheaper, however will that translate to lower end user prices...
In a couple of decades, third world countries would soon be able to buy small and cheap nuclear reactors, demand for fossil fuels will crash. So yes, I think electricity price will come down. However, energy price has been a tax tool for a very long time. Just look at how much taxes we pay on petrol. A barrel of crude oil costs £60. Refineries get 193 L equivalent of petrol in products out of one of them. So the material cost of your petrol is 31p per litre, yet we pay 150p or more. Still, we pay comparatively less tax on petrol than on electricity. My guess we can buy petrol at many places while we have to contract with a single electricity company.
There ought to be cooperative or not for profit electricity suppliers.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and flecc