Prices of the electricity we use to charge

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It'll be at least 20 years before that can happen, so at entering my 88th year I couldn't give a damn!
When you are 108 you'll really appreciate not having to drive yourself.

Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When you are 108 you'll really appreciate not having to drive yourself.
I'm very unlikely to reach 90 !

But I've been driven around at times for all my life, just selecting a destination and the vehicles never failing.

They're called lifts, or more correctly in the USA, elevators.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20231218_143643[1].jpg

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I asked BING AI the question
how much electricity do you use answering each question?

answer came .....
~~~~~~~
That's an interesting question. I don't have an exact answer, but I can try to give you an estimate based on some assumptions and calculations.

First, let's assume that I use the same amount of electricity as ChatGPT, which is a large language model similar to me. According to a recent studyhttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ai-boom-could-use-a-shocking-amount-of-electricity/, ChatGPT running on 10,000 NVIDIA GPUs consumed 1,287 megawatt-hours (MWh) of electricity during training, which lasted for 25 dayshttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ai-boom-could-use-a-shocking-amount-of-electricity/. That means ChatGPT used about 2,058 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per hour, or 0.57 kWh per second, during traininghttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ai-boom-could-use-a-shocking-amount-of-electricity/.

Now, let's assume that answering each question takes me about 10 seconds on average, and that I use the same amount of electricity during inference (answering questions) as during training. This may not be accurate, as inference usually requires less computation than training, but it's a conservative estimate. Then, answering each question would use about 5.7 kWh of electricity, which is equivalent to the energy consumed by a typical American household in about 5 hours .

Of course, this is just a rough approximation, and it does not include the electricity used by other components of the system, such as the servers, the network, or the user's device. It also does not account for the variations in the complexity and length of the questions and answers, or the efficiency and optimization of the hardware and software. Therefore, the actual electricity consumption may be higher or lower than this estimate.

I hope this gives you some idea of how much electricity I use to answer your questions. However, I also want to point out that electricity is not the only resource that I consume. I also require a lot of data, memory, processing power, and human labor to create and maintain me. These resources also have environmental and social impacts that should be considered when evaluating the benefits and costs of using me and other AI systems.
~~~~~~~

I guess it's forgotten to allow that it would be answering lots of other questions too at the same time, and 5.7 kWh is how much it used while answering my question rather than how much to answer my question? Shows how careful you need to be interpreting the answers from these systems. (Just like you need to be interpreting answers from people.)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
~~~~~~~
[...] Then, answering each question would use about 5.7 kWh of electricity, which is equivalent to the energy consumed by a typical American household in about 5 hours
That's shocking, could an American household really survive on 1kW? And wasn't the real Matheson scandal that anyone would dare charge £11000 for 5 or 6 hours data roaming in the first place?

Reactions: MikelBikel

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

answer came .....
~~~~~~~
That's an interesting question. I don't have an exact answer, but I can try to give you an estimate based on some assumptions and calculations.

First, let's assume that I use the same amount of electricity as ChatGPT, which is a large language model similar to me. According to a recent studyhttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ai-boom-could-use-a-shocking-amount-of-electricity/, ChatGPT running on 10,000 NVIDIA GPUs consumed 1,287 megawatt-hours (MWh) of electricity during training, which lasted for 25 dayshttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ai-boom-could-use-a-shocking-amount-of-electricity/. That means ChatGPT used about 2,058 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per hour, or 0.57 kWh per second, during traininghttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-ai-boom-could-use-a-shocking-amount-of-electricity/.

Now, let's assume that answering each question takes me about 10 seconds on average, and that I use the same amount of electricity during inference (answering questions) as during training. This may not be accurate, as inference usually requires less computation than training, but it's a conservative estimate. Then, answering each question would use about 5.7 kWh of electricity, which is equivalent to the energy consumed by a typical American household in about 5 hours .

Of course, this is just a rough approximation, and it does not include the electricity used by other components of the system, such as the servers, the network, or the user's device. It also does not account for the variations in the complexity and length of the questions and answers, or the efficiency and optimization of the hardware and software. Therefore, the actual electricity consumption may be higher or lower than this estimate.

I hope this gives you some idea of how much electricity I use to answer your questions. However, I also want to point out that electricity is not the only resource that I consume. I also require a lot of data, memory, processing power, and human labor to create and maintain me. These resources also have environmental and social impacts that should be considered when evaluating the benefits and costs of using me and other AI systems.
~~~~~~~

I guess it's forgotten to allow that it would be answering lots of other questions too at the same time, and 5.7 kWh is how much it used while answering my question rather than how much to answer my question? Shows how careful you need to be interpreting the answers from these systems. (Just like you need to be interpreting answers from people.)
Bing AI and ChatGPT don't seem to be good on reasoning.
There is a lot of hype around what these systems can do.
The weaknesses are usually revealed by the competition, in this case, Google Gemini.
A couple of weeks ago, I watched a very impressive YT demo of Gemini. It turns out that the video was heavily edited to remove the bits where humans gave the system a helping hand.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
353kw this month :oops:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bing AI and ChatGPT don't seem to be good on reasoning.
The Bing AI answer had a giveaway exposing a flaw common to humans:

When they don't know the answer to a question they open with either "That is a very good question" or "That is an interesting question". Either is just playing for time while they rummage around in the grey stuff for an answer. We hear it all the time on TV and Radio interviews of politicians.

Reactions: sjpt and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As I said before, if you care about burning too much fossil fuels, it would be much more sensible to put some solar panels on you house than buy an EV.
I think it's more about air quality.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why has the insurance for EVs increased more than double that of diesel cars?
it's down to performance.
Even modestly priced EV models have excellent acceleration.
Fast acceleration leads to more accidents.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Embarrassingly so.

The very big increase in acceleration and power of my latest series Leaf in 2018 meant delicate tickling of the accelerator pedal among all the other slower traffic. Within two months I got so fed up with this driving "on edge" that I switched from Normal into ECO mode with a 40% reduction, despite which it still leaves almost everything behind in the traffic lights grand prix.

With the exception of the odd rare open road long distance run I've been in more relaxed ECO permanently ever since. Even my garage when they pick it up from my home for it's MOT each year do the same.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
221kw was the cheapest month with the new inverter if i turned everything on looking at 500kw a month, tho the hut will fall to bits :p

• :D
Reactions: PC2017