Pro Connect brakes

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
I was fortunate in not having the front brake problem on my one, possibly through retensioning and truing the front wheel at the outset. Like you I rely on the front brake most and am happy with light rear braking, but it's the lack of a direct and immediate relationship between input and braking I dislike. I like the relationship to be precise.
I am trying to remember whether Shimano improved the roller brake during the lifespan of the Torq. I think that the heat dissipation was improved with a bigger cooling disk, and maybe some other bits.

Returning to the ProConnect, I was always surprised that there is no provision in the frame design for using disk brakes. So although the 8 speed Nexus hub can be switched to the 8 speed Alfine (which can take a disk), there is no provision to fix a caliper.

In changing to a 36 spoke hub, I have stuck with the Nexus family that can use the roller brake. As yet, I still use the standard Deore rim brake which works fine.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, they'd probably have to change the stand mounting arrangement to make provision for a caliper. At a superficial level of observation, it seems to me that the Continental manufacturers are not as keen on disc brakes as the Chinese. I think there's also a tendency to regard e-bikes as utility bikes anyway, not unreasonable really, and most designs show that inclination.

seca-seca

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2009
I think that a disc brake would be overkill on a commuter to be honest. The extra weight incurred would put me off one.