Prop stands

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Many years ago, way before prop stands were usually fitted to bikes, and one had to use a pedal on the kerb to hold the thing up, I bought a double armed prop stand that I wish I could get again. It had two arms so the bike rested on them without putting strain on the frame, and these two arms were pivoted such that they came together as they were raised and moved apart as they were lowered. Does anyone know of anything of the sort still available?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it is Tony.

It's made by Pletscher and the model name is the Esgee.

I only know of one UK source, SJS on the page found by entering Pletscher stands in the search box, second product row, choice of two leg lengths for the two wheel sizes. Heres pictures of it on one of my bikes:

I have a thick spacer lowering it to give brake clearance, it normally sits nearer the frame.

Last edited:

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Thanks so much, Flecc. I've found the site and the stands and £15 doesn't sound too hefty a price. I would certainly feel MUCH more comfortable with one of those on the Agattu as the stresses would very obviously be much less. Do you suppose it would fit the Agattu satisfactorily? I've practically made up my mind immediately to get one. I had been bothered about the wringing strain on the frame before ever you mentioned it elsewhere. It's one of those things that one feels is just not satisfactory.

The one that I had years ago actually folded up either side of the wheel I remember. But I suspect that it may have been very heavy.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd forgotten you had the Agattu Tony, and it may well not be suitable for that.

The problem is that the Panasonic motor unit with it's jockey wheel on the chain output is quite close to the rear wheel, so there may not be room.

As you know, Kalhoff elected for a rear frame mounted stand, quite possibly for that reason.

I can't be absolutely certain though, and if you'd like to buy one for your 28" wheel bike to check if it could fit, go ahead. If it doesn't fit, I'll buy it from you at the price plus your postage cost as I have a home for it.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
I'd forgotten you had the Agattu Tony, and it may well not be suitable for that.
So kind of you, Flecc and deeply appreciated. However all that was written after dark and I don't have lights in the bike shed! This morning a very cursory glance is enough to show, with the help of your very clear photo, that the job would at least need extensive alteration and quite likely be completely impossible. I'm not up for any alteration at all so must regretfully rule that particular option out.

The fitted stand on the very end of the rear forks has clearly been put in that, possibly less than ideal position, because there is no where else to fit a prop stand at all. The area is astonishingly crowded! I suspect that, when 50cycles send me the new prop, as they have promised to do, I shall just have to fit it and use it with a great deal of circumspection. With loaded panniers it's quite clear that I shan't sensibly be able to use it at all. A shame but one can't have everything.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks so much, Flecc. I've found the site and the stands and £15 doesn't sound too hefty a price. I would certainly feel MUCH more comfortable with one of those on the Agattu as the stresses would very obviously be much less. Do you suppose it would fit the Agattu satisfactorily? I've practically made up my mind immediately to get one. I had been bothered about the wringing strain on the frame before ever you mentioned it elsewhere. It's one of those things that one feels is just not satisfactory.

The one that I had years ago actually folded up either side of the wheel I remember. But I suspect that it may have been very heavy.
Hi Tony, I assume this Pletscher (ESGE) KS12 Twin Leg Propstand for B/B height over 290mm (27" & 700c) the one you are thinking of buying?
I'm just wondering what advantage this has to offer over a standard Pletscher replacement propstand, assuming it isn't a faulty casting and doesn't snap again that is.

John

C

Cyclezee

Hi again Tony, I can understand your concerns if you are going to have loaded panniers.
How about one of these Chainstay fitting Adjustable length Propstand - Black in addition to the standard one, sort of a belt and braces job.
Should do the job provided you are not going to be carrying bricks in you panniers, then you would have to worry about the strain on the chainstay:eek:

John

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
I'm just wondering what advantage this has to offer over a standard Pledger replacement prop stand, assuming it isn't a faulty casting and doesn't snap again that is.
John - I felt that holding the bike in an upright position, as a double legged one does, produces much less strain generally. To be safe from winds a single leg one has to allow the bike to lean at a decent angle and then the lengthy lever of the leg must be producing a hefty wringing stress on wherever it is fitted to the frame. That was my thinking anyway.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Hi again Tony, I can understand your concerns if you are going to have loaded panniers.
How about one of these Chainstay fitting Adjustable length Propstand - Black in addition to the standard one, sort of a belt and braces job.
Should do the job provided you are not going to be carrying bricks in you panniers, then you would have to worry about the strain on the chainstay:eek:

John
That's a real piece of lateral thinking on your part, John! Two propstands. I wouldn't have thought of it in twenty years! But it couldn't work on the Agattu as there just isn't room there at all. The chain stay area is incredibly crowded with motors and things!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Tony. As you know, I used the Agattu for a shopping trip with my very big Dutch panniers and filled them up with quite a weight, as reported in the review.

I did try the stand then after moving it from the rack, while loading up, and the stand and frame are up to that, since the stand unusually has a plastic leg extension which is quite flexible as you may have noticed. This is obviously yet another of the sensible design details deliberately there, since it absorbs the flexing shocks of the kind you mention due to wind gusts etc. It's only a very high sudden excess load that's likely to cause any trouble if the stand itself is ok, and the sacrificial design would take care of that without frame damage.

C

Cyclezee

I still think it might work tgame. If fitted in front of the standard Pletscher stand and when folded, the Monza lying underneath the Pletscher if you get my drift?

John

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately the Agattu has an oval non-standard section chainstay for additional strength, and probably wont be able to accept a clamp on stand like these. The rearmost more tubular part is occupied by the existing stand mounting plate.

See my previous post though, as I think the present stand should be ok.

Last edited:

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Well Flecc, it sounds as if I've been fretting rather unnecessarily. I suppose one is bound to mother a brand new bike a little. And the snapping of the prop stand as I flicked it down DID give me a hell of a shock actually - more than I mentioned. I thought that a couple of pieces had just come unscrewed and it was some time before I could get my head round the idea that it had actually broken. I shall just be very very careful, and ought to be able to find places to lean the bike when I'm super-marketing rather than prop standing it. Cycling is lovely in that it is partly a matter of such sensible adjustments of usage isn't it? How hard to peddle, what gear to be in, and so forth. So much more on a human scale than motoring.

Grandad

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2007
Devon
grandads.googlepages.com
Talking of carrying stuff in panniers. I brought this stone home in my offside pannier last week.

It weighs in at 3st 4lbs.
It's a good job that I wasn't on a main road when I started off as I did an unintended swerve to the right then had to ride home with a corrective list to port. I didn't attempt to use the stand however, a bit too dodgy.

brigaf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 14, 2006
south lincs
propstands

Thanksto apedelecs Forum. I have bought and fitted a Plescher propstand from SJS.Not cheap at £30 but an excellent piece of kit.Tricky to fit because the Ezee Sprint has little clearance to locate and tighten the allen screw fixing,but mission accomplished.
thankyou all.

mikescave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2007
Tutshill, Chepstow
Prop stand

Bit late in finding this thread but my solution might be useful to someone else.

I replaced the double foot stand on my eZee Liv with
a Raleigh Twin Leg Propstand which cost about £19 and fitted perfectly.

Regards

Mike

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Early on in this thread a concern is raised that a frame mounted prop stand can put strain on the frame.

How much of a concern is this? I have a rear mounted pletscher multizoom and the bike is stored with the bike standing up using this stand. Should I not do this and perhaps consider an alternative method of storing my bike?

e.g.
Granstand bike stand --- Cytronex - The UK's leading electric bike

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Can anyone recommend one that would fit a Wisper 905SE please?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Early on in this thread a concern is raised that a frame mounted prop stand can put strain on the frame.

How much of a concern is this? I have a rear mounted pletscher multizoom and the bike is stored with the bike standing up using this stand. Should I not do this and perhaps consider an alternative method of storing my bike?

e.g.
Granstand bike stand --- Cytronex - The UK's leading electric bike
The propstand is perfectly ok of there's no additional weight on the bike, failures usually result from excess loadings. For example, abruptly jolting the bike down onto the stand leg, being seated on the bike and letting it lean down onto the stand leg, propping onto the stand with a very large pannier or carrier load.

Although the Granstand one you link to holds the bike roughly upright, it can stress the rim and/or spokes and lead to an out of true wheel, so I don't favour that type at all.