Puncture Repair Kits

Bernie2

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2014
Has anyone experienced using the "Mean Machine Bike Tyre Fix" canisters. They are very cheap on Ebay compared to others on the market and it makes me wonder if they are any good. Also, am I right in assuming that once you have used this type of temporary puncture repair, the inner tube will fill with some sort of gunge and will need replacing at some stage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, there will be some gunge in there, and it can sometimes clog the tube valve.

Some seem to have success with these, but I and many others don't. The problem is that they were invented for the thickness of tubeless tyres, but trying to seal a hole in a thin tube is much more difficult. The gunge has to enter the hole liquid but instantly harden and seal in the hole, something which often happen too late I've found as it oozes and out and hardens in the air. In the thickness of a tubeless car tyre that is much more easy of course.

Sealing across the hole in both tyre and tube is unreliable since a slight shift of tyre against tube breaks the seal.

Reactions: Bernie2

Bernie2

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2014
Many thanks Flecc. What you are saying is more or less what I have gathered from other Forum posts but my problem is that my Sakura bike weighs over 40 kilos with lock/chain etc and it would be extremely hard work having to wheel it home if I had a puncture and it would probably ruin the inner and outer tubes anyway. It is for this reason, I thought I would use one of these "quick fixes" if I had to, on the basis that it was better than nothing.

Therefore, I would still like to hear from anyone who has used the "Mean Machine Bike Tyre Fix" and can comment on how they compare with other more expensive makes. Alternatively, has anyone a particular brand that has really worked well. If so, which one please.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I saw a couple of Aldi cannisters left beside the road.

I can't stand littering, so I rather hope they didn't work.

The fact the litter lout had deployed two suggests failure.

I carry a Zefal cannister, about £5, never had to use it, but it's 'branded', so I'm hopeful it would work.

I also carry a spare tube and some scab patches.

One way or another, I would hope to achieve reinflation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Mean Machine brand is almost certainly the same thing as any other brand Bernie. This sort of product usually has a well understood formula using components from a very limited number of outlets. Given the very small contents of an aerosol there's little to be gained by cutting content prices, and it's almost certainly no dearer to produce using the right components than trying to use cheaper ones. Indeed it would probably be dearer to source less commonly available alternatives. I've tried four types over time, two of them from Halfords, and never found any difference between them. For me it's never again.

I'm confident this is a typical branding market rather than an actual product advantage one.

Reactions: Bernie2

Bernie2

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2014
I saw a couple of Aldi cannisters left beside the road.

I can't stand littering, so I rather hope they didn't work.

The fact the litter lout had deployed two suggests failure.

I carry a Zefal cannister, about £5, never had to use it, but it's 'branded', so I'm hopeful it would work.

I also carry a spare tube and some scab patches.

One way or another, I would hope to achieve reinflation.

Thank you Robf. Re the Aldi canisters it is, of course possible they worked but were just dumped on the roadside but I would not be too surprised if they didn't because I have found many Aldi non food items to be a bit cheap and cheerful. Also, like you, it really gets up my nose the amount of litter strewn everywhere these days, usually right next to a litter bin. Still, that's another subject which I daren't get in to !! Anyway, thanks for the tip about the Zefal canister - although I hope I shall have to put it to the test.

Bernie2

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2014
The Mean Machine brand is almost certainly the same thing as any other brand Bernie. This sort of product usually has a well understood formula using components from a very limited number of outlets. Given the very small contents of an aerosol there's little to be gained by cutting content prices, and it's almost certainly no dearer to produce using the right components than trying to use cheaper ones. Indeed it would probably be dearer to source less commonly available alternatives. I've tried four types over time, two of them from Halfords, and never found any difference between them. For me it's never again.

I'm confident this is a typical branding market rather than an actual product advantage one.

Once again, thanks for your reply Flecc.

Reading between the lines of all the comments I've read about these things, it seems that some bless them and others don't, so really I have no choice but to buy a couple and see what happens. I hope I am going to be one of those belonging to the former group !! Mind you, I understand it all depends on what kind of puncture you get and what part of the tyre is affected, so really it's all in the lap of the Gods. However, if ever I get caught out having to use one, I shall post this forum with the result, assuming I manage to get home that is.

From what you say, I might as well get a couple of Mean Machine ones as well as another make to keep handy. You never know, they might even work!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that's well worth it Bernie, given how low the cost to try. One irritant if they do fail is that the slime can render a puncture repair nigh on impossible and it can leave the inside of the tyre as well as the tube a bit of a mess.

So two tips. Have some cloth in your kit to wipe your hands etc., and carry a spare tube and puncture repair items anyway.

Puncture repairs are not difficult, to me a momentary inconvenience only. A wheel does not have to come out, just upend the bike, taking the battery out to make it easier if necessary, lever off one side of the tyre (the non-chain side on rear wheels). Then bring the tube out alongside and work it around between the frame and wheel to get to the puncture point.

The deflated tube can rest above the tyre at the pierced point while you patch it. Let the rubber solution that you apply to the tube dry to dull looking before you press on the patch to get an instant bond. Then reverse things, making sure you don't pinch the tube between tyre bead and rim.

If you are unfamiliar with doing this, it's a very good idea to have a complete dummy run on your bike at home, sticking a patch onto a good tube anyway so that you are experienced enough to repeat it on the road when the need arises. Miles from home in awkward circumstances is no place to start learning.

Reactions: Gubbins and Bernie2

Bernie2

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2014
I think that's well worth it Bernie, given how low the cost to try. One irritant if they do fail is that the slime can render a puncture repair nigh on impossible and it can leave the inside of the tyre as well as the tube a bit of a mess.

So two tips. Have some cloth in your kit to wipe your hands etc., and carry a spare tube and puncture repair items anyway.

Puncture repairs are not difficult, to me a momentary inconvenience only. A wheel does not have to come out, just upend the bike, taking the battery out to make it easier if necessary, lever off one side of the tyre (the non-chain side on rear wheels). Then bring the tube out alongside and work it around between the frame and wheel to get to the puncture point.

The deflated tube can rest above the tyre at the pierced point while you patch it. Let the rubber solution that you apply to the tube dry to dull looking before you press on the patch to get an instant bond. Then reverse things, making sure you don't pinch the tube between tyre bead and rim.

If you are unfamiliar with doing this, it's a very good idea to have a complete dummy run on your bike at home, sticking a patch onto a good tube anyway so that you are experienced enough to repeat it on the road when the need arises. Miles from home in awkward circumstances is no place to start learning.

Once again many thanks for taking the trouble to explain things. I vaguely remember repairing a puncture when I was a young lad but even so, I don't relish the idea of turning the bike upside down in the street. I have numerous items sticking out above the handlebar line as well as a fragile bit of plastic, housing the battery info and lighting indicators etc which I would not wish to damage. Unfortunately, there is no room for the short extension pieces which I would like to fit, so I just hope that the repair canisters work. However, I never say die and after you kindly explained what to do if I had a puncture, I am sure I could get round the handlebar problem somehow. Maybe a young lady would throw down her coat as a cushion, you never know!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have numerous items sticking out above the handlebar line as well as a fragile bit of plastic, housing the battery info and lighting indicators etc which I would not wish to damage. Unfortunately, there is no room for the short extension pieces which I would like to fit,
Before I fitted bar ends for this purpose I had an idea to cope with this. A couple of beach inflatable balls slightly blown up will make two cushions to go under each side of the bars, better than nothing,

They are very cheap, see this link

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Once again many thanks for taking the trouble to explain things. I vaguely remember repairing a puncture when I was a young lad but even so, I don't relish the idea of turning the bike upside down in the street. I have numerous items sticking out above the handlebar line as well as a fragile bit of plastic, housing the battery info and lighting indicators etc which I would not wish to damage. Unfortunately, there is no room for the short extension pieces which I would like to fit, so I just hope that the repair canisters work. However, I never say die and after you kindly explained what to do if I had a puncture, I am sure I could get round the handlebar problem somehow. Maybe a young lady would throw down her coat as a cushion, you never know!
If your bars have any bent at all then just slack off the bolts and twist the bars up and pinch the bolts up. The bike rests on the handlebar ends and all the stuff on them is off the ground.

I always carry some Allen keys and it only takes a moment. With the quick handle bar adjustment on many bikes you don't even need a tool to twist them up.

Bernie2

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2014
If your bars have any bent at all then just slack off the bolts and twist the bars up and pinch the bolts up. The bike rests on the handlebar ends and all the stuff on them is off the ground.

I always carry some Allen keys and it only takes a moment. With the quick handle bar adjustment on many bikes you don't even need a tool to twist them up.
Fit handlebar ends like these for about a tenner.

Trouble is Wicky, my bike is throttle controlled and I would not be able to fit the ends as you have shown
Fit handlebar ends like these for about a tenner.

Bernie2

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2014
Before I fitted bar ends for this purpose I had an idea to cope with this. A couple of beach inflatable balls slightly blown up will make two cushions to go under each side of the bars, better than nothing,

They are very cheap, see this link

A good idea Flecc, especially as they would not take up much room in my panniers. If I cannot think of anything better, I might get a couple to try out before I get a puncture. Thank you.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Trouble is Wicky, my bike is throttle controlled and I would not be able to fit the ends as you have shown
You see that bell on the handlebar? I have one and I use it to stop the LCD from hitting the ground when upside down. You could have one each side....