Puncture repair kits

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I went to repair a puncture, and as usual the glue which had been used before was a solid lump.
This means that in practice, there is little need for more than a few patches in a kit unless it comes with an equal number of tubes of glue.
I see that glue less (pre-glued) patches are available.
Has anybody tried these?

Reactions: budsy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I went to repair a puncture, and as usual the glue which had been used before was a solid lump.
This means that in practice, there is little need for more than a few patches in a kit unless it comes with an equal number of tubes of glue.
Has anybody tried these?
I like yoour query, though I myself have no experience of "Glue less" (sounds like "Clueless"?:mad: ), though the glue being unusable has happened to me, so I am most interested in any useful replies you might get.
One thing that was taught to me by my Father (probably 60+ years ago!), was that whenever glueing something, not just inner tube patches, always clean the area with Meths/Alcohol,[ not petrol] or similar, and then avoid touching the area with fingers....It has always stood me in good stead! Even as a kid, my patches never leak or fall off!
Just a thought and regards from
Andy

Gooseman

Pedelecer
May 12, 2020
angus
I have just used the glueless patches (from aldi) for the first time last weekend and was a waste of time. I ended up using superglue and paper as a temporary patch until a proper kit with glue arrived.

Last edited:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Id just use a touch of the gorilla glue to the surface of a tube , this after sanding a little to that surface needing repaired, and use rubber gloves as this way u wont get your finger/s stuck , but I havent tried on a bicycle as yet .. but have done this on a blow up air bed , and works wonders on that so should be fine on a bicycle tube .

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
I have not used "glue less" or "pre-glued" patches. There is no way any pre-applied adhesive will provide adequate adhesion comparing to applying glue when you need it (as long as glue has remained in its packaging and was properly closed not allowing any air to enter). Just follow directions for applying glue and the patch. Typically this means applying small amount of glue (not huge blobs of it, just a thin layer slightly smaller than the patch), waiting 1 to 3 minutes for it to start curing then applying the patch then pressing the patch against the tire for another 3 minutes. This process should make sure that glue adheres well to the tire and to the patch.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
but have done this on a blow up air bed
How did you find the hole in the air bed? We've got a slightly flocked so we don't want to dump it in water.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I carry glueless skab type patches, OK while inflated and the tube rubber is expanded but don’t do so well left on a deflated tube, as the tube shrinks back to its original size the patch outer is rigid and doesn’t shrink, it just creases instead.
I’ve never had a problem with scabs while in use and at least one of my bikes has them in at the moment.
All that said, I prefer glued patches if I’m doing the job at home :cool:

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I got some self adhesive patches from Halfords a while ago - totally useless

However, a few months ago I had a puncture on a trail near here and was just contemplating a long walk home when a nice man stopped and gave me 2 self adhesive patches of a different make - they worked fine - no problems at all. I used one at the time and then gave the other one away to someone I came across in the same situation a few days ago

So - basically - it depends on the make. I have seen some things that suggest that you need to put them on and keep them under pressure for a couple of minutes . I would also suggest that you only put any real pressure on it after it is back on the wheel so the tyre wall keeps up pressure on it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't buy kits but buy separate glue, cut to size patch material and any bit of sandpaper to prep the tube area. Instead of buying a larger adhevise tube buy a couple of small ones or a 5 pack. For patch's Weldtite cut to size 6" x 4" repair sheet.
Carry two small tubes in case one goes off.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I use Park Tools patches and find them great:
I rarely have punctures so have suffered the cured glue problem before. These patches seem to last well though just slung in the pannier. I'm careful to really ruff up the surface of the tube and sand down seams before applying.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
I'm pleased to see this thread as I've just had a puncture, my glue was all dried up, and there's no puncture repair kits available in any shops around here. Many of them are sold out online too so I gave up looking, but will get back onto it now

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Id just use a touch of the gorilla glue to the surface of a tube , this after sanding a little to that surface needing repaired, and use rubber gloves as this way u wont get your finger/s stuck , but I havent tried on a bicycle as yet .. but have done this on a blow up air bed , and works wonders on that so should be fine on a bicycle tube .
Not sure about Gorilla glue, it is a polyurethane glue and foams as it goes off.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
After using the glue use a piece of kitchen cling film to put between the cap and the threaded part of the tube of glue and tighten , it keeps the glue liquid . I find that modern patches tend to want to lift when the film is removed from the patch after repair . I never seemed to have had trouble with Cure C Cure patches years ago .

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I like to slightly squeeze the glue tube until glue is at the top to remove any air when putting the top back on and this seems to help stop my glue drying up.

• Useful
Reactions: Andy-Mat and Nealh

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Not sure about Gorilla glue, it is a polyurethane glue and foams as it goes off.
Maybe not on a bicycle tube , as said I haven't tried that
i guess we just have to get right puncture repair outfit from some local shop
u know sells it as always handy to have in .

But be good to know whats the best to use ?

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
How did you find the hole in the air bed? We've got a slightly flocked so we don't want to dump it in water.
Inflate the air bed and you shall feel the air coming out in your hand as well as can hear it by ear
should find it without use of water .. but if not a little water around area
as shall bubble and then mark around the part needing fixed , mark with say a crayon or such like was a puncture repair outfit crayon I used in yellow ..draw a circle or square around
and then lightly sand area very lightly and then your glue and should work .

When glue is on hold patch down for 2/3 mins and as said wear rubber gloves for this
to prevent fingers sticking .

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
What's a puncture?
Since fitting Tannus Armour inserts around 6 months ago and riding around 150km a week, I haven't had a puncture, whereas previously I was getting at least one a week.
OK, I haven't had to contend with the debris from cutting hawthorn hedges during this period, but am optimistic that the inserts will cope next autumn.

Reactions: mountaindweller

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Inflate the air bed and you shall feel the air coming out in your hand as well as can hear it by ear
should find it without use of water .. but if not a little water around area
as shall bubble and then mark around the part needing fixed , mark with say a crayon or such like was a puncture repair outfit crayon I used in yellow ..draw a circle or square around
and then lightly sand area very lightly and then your glue and should work .

When glue is on hold patch down for 2/3 mins and as said wear rubber gloves for this
to prevent fingers sticking .
Adding some soap to the water, promotes easily seen bubbles.
Once marked clearly, the rest of the soap and water may be taken off with meths and lastly a hair dryer to get rid of the water....
Cleaning well with meths (easily available) is always good in helping glues to bond well. It also picks up moisture too if needed.
Andy

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Has anybody tried these?
I use the "slap-on" patches when out and about and they are really good. I have at least two which have been on my tubes since last summer. Make sure you get the black rubber ones as I once used some red plastic faced ones, free with a mag, which peeled off on a really hot day as they had no stretch in them.
At home I would use the normal patches with the red tapering vulcanising rim around the edges. These are really hard to peel off.