Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
An average hospital in the UK has 500-600 beds with 15-20 ICU beds but imagine if every single day 20, 30, 40, 50 patients with severe pneumonia arrive & 5-10 of those require ventilation on ICU. Then think what happens after weeks or months of this. People still have heart attacks, appendicitis, need cancer treatment etc etc
some hospitals in London are already in emergency themselves.
However much precaution we all take, until there is a vaccine that is added to our annual flu jab, which may be a year a two in the future, we can't really be expected to remain indoors all the time.
We take risk whenever we are in the same room with other people or go in a shop or use a public facility. Compared to trains, bus, cars and normal bikes or even running / walking, e-bikes still give a better distance between users.

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: flecc and ebiker99

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
very one has lost the plot 14000 ppl died today and 48 from controller virus.

14000 will also die every day on average in the uk anyway.

when dead ppl are being pilled up at street corners for pick up to be burned to dust on mass ill stay inside ;)

watching the news gives you brain rot its all bs ;)
Please try and be sensible before you put such ridiculous figures on the site, it is actually 1,400 people in the uk who die each day not 14,000 and please dont watch the news ever as you quite obviously have severe brain rot already.

D

Deleted member 25121

we can't really be expected to remain indoors all the time
But we should be reasonably expected to have no part in this nonsense:

We are an extremely selfish country, witness the grab for food at the supermarkets, that didn't happen in Italy for example. Some of the ridiculous things I've heard are:

"I dashed to the shops today to get some packs of loo rolls before all the idiots got them"

"I went for a walk in the park / beach / mountains today and it was full of idiots going for a walk."

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"I went for a walk in the park / beach / mountains today and it was full of idiots going for a walk."
when did you see a queue of e-bikers?
They don't compete with one another, they don't queue up for a chairlift.
The most frequent group rides you see are members of the same family.
The closest contact with strangers is at traffic lights where two bikes may be found in close approximity.
It does not require many brain cells to keep yourself at a safe distance.

D

Deleted member 25121

It does not require many brain cells to keep yourself at a safe distance.
Some of your points were rather questionable (group rides???) and the rest were entirely lost when you resorted to childish insults.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
sorry flecc, what do you mean by wake it up
The person I was answering had a type of battery that has a "Sleep Mode". That shuts down the internal battery management (BMS) after two weeks idle to prevent it gradually draining the battery to empty.

They can be awoken either by a button press or connecting to the charger.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Some of your points were rather questionable (group rides???)
what points are questionable?
riding with my wife or my family?

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
AT the moment I think I will be avoiding places where I have to pass people on narrow path - like some canal tow paths.
I will still ride (at the moment) but mainly on wide paths and roads where I can easily stay more than 2m away from other people
I have no idea whether or not I have got this virus - or have had it - but we all need to avoid contacts so it does not get passed on

It is just a case of thinking of other people - we need to work together and reduce contact - that way the virus will spread slower and the NHS will be able to cope without people like my step son having to decide whether to save patient A - because doing so means that patient B dies. Bodies may not be piling up in the streets but we are very very close to a point where people are dying unnecessarily due to lack of resources

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How does riding with your wife or your family prevent you from catching or spreading the virus?
it doesn't - but the risk of riding with my wife or family is not much higher than staying at home, certainly much less than walking in the street, going to the supermarket or sitting with a stranger in a car.

You need to balance one risk against other risks.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Absolutely nothing to do with bikes but I went to work today (30 ish employees) 7 or 8 girls from across Europe all greeted each other like they’ve been away for years by hugging each other, one girl even said “forget 2 metres“ before jumping up to hug her college she hasn't seen since Friday.
we’re all in a very small working environment, constantly sharing tools and bumping into each other, forget 2 meters your luck if its 20cm.
the whole situation is a f’ing joke and as a 58 year old asthmatic I’ve removed myself from that environment until it safe.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the whole situation is a f’ing joke and as a 58 year old asthmatic I’ve removed myself from that environment until it safe.
you have to try to stay safe at least until June when the team at Imperial College London predicts a lull during the summer months.

D

Deleted member 25121

it doesn't - but the risk of riding with my wife or family is not much higher than staying at home, certainly much less than walking in the street, going to the supermarket or sitting with a stranger in a car.

You need to balance one risk against other risks.
How do you make sure you're at least 2m away from cyclists when they pass you?

Do you ride 2m into the road when you pass kerbside pedestrians?

It's OK to balance the risks of yourself getting effected but how do you balance the risk to elderly pedestrians when you cycle past them too closely when you might possibly be infected?

It's simple, if you don't have to be out then don't go out.

It won't be long before we're under a lock-down because of this selfishness.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How do you make sure you're at least 2m away from cyclists when they pass you?
infection is not transmitted at the speed of one cyclist passing/overtaking another.
If it was the case, you wouldn't cross the street at the zebra crossing if there is another person on your side or on the other side.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0632.JPG
:p

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
ebiker99, you need to remember that corona virus is transmitted through droplets. The spreader releases them through coughing, sneezing or talking at close proximity to you.
You can also pick them up from dry surfaces such as tables and chairs (wet surfaces cause the virus to become unstable and die, you see supermarket staff constantly spraying sanitiser onto any exposed surfaces) or you breathe them through the air conditioning system.
You don't catch it by just standing next to the guy otherwise all hospitals wouldn't take on corona patients.
When you go out for a ride, you don't touch tables and chairs.

D

Deleted member 25121

Cyclists and pedestrians being irresponsible, please listen to the medical experts:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yep, 2m is the "safe distance".
even that is relative. As I said, you need to take things in the context of balanced risks.
Droplets can stay in the air for minutes. In completely still air, hours.
However, in the open air, droplets disperse very quickly. Standing next to a guy inside a bus is much more risky than standing next to another biker at traffic lights.
If you have symptoms of corona virus, you shouldn't go out in the first place.
That's why I said the risk of catching corona virus when riding your bike is quite low.
It's not comparable with being stuck in traffic, even inside your car, the air surrounding your car may be contaminated.

Reactions: Muddyfox