Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

o_O

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A massive amount of PPE are coming into Ireland today, lets hope they haven`t been purchased via AliExpress
these test kits were bought 'through personal contacts' are fundamentally unsafe, unlicensed and should not have been bought by any government agencies.

QUOTE:

The Chinese embassy in Spain tweeted that Shenzen Bioeasy is not licensed to sell the product and is not included on a list of “recommended suppliers,” which its ministry of commerce offered the Spanish government.

Spain’s health ministry said Bioeasy products have been approved by European Union quality control agencies and that the “specifications of this test, at least of the lot that was received, do not correspond with EU quality certifications.”

Officials said the deal with Bioeasy was made through an unidentified intermediary.

Health ministry emergency coordinator Fernando Simon said Spain is trying to import 6 million testing kits from China and other EU countries. He also said that “intense efforts” are underway with Spanish biotechnology firms to produce them.

The Chinese embassy in Spain tweeted that Shenzen Bioeasy is not licensed to sell the product and is not included on a list of “recommended suppliers,” which its ministry of commerce offered the Spanish government.

Spain’s health ministry said Bioeasy products have been approved by European Union quality control agencies and that the “specifications of this test, at least of the lot that was received, do not correspond with EU quality certifications.”

Officials said the deal with Bioeasy was made through an unidentified intermediary.

• Informative
Reactions: tommie and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the case of some Spanish local authorities buying faulty Chinese test kits shows the problem when you put non scientist people in charge.
We use RT PCR test kits bought from Roche.
The kit takes 5 hours to develop.
The nurse take a couple of swabs of your epithelial cells from your mouth and nose back to the labs where a machine runs your samples through a dozen PCR cycles. Each cycle takes about 20 minutes. That's why there is no way you can do this any faster.
When someone tries to sell you a kit that does the same in 5-10 minutes, alarm bells should have rung.
The Chinese use similar kits to what we use here but not those miraculous kits. They also use a faster blood test kit to detect antibodies in those who have gone through quarantine.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sounds like the Spanish health minister is going to have a few tricky questions to answer, like who's your unidentified intermediary. Makes the people selling over priced hand sanitizer appear quite honest.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that story reminds me of the ADE651 story. It was sold for £40,000 each.
Our army bought a few.

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Dutch have also been caught out with dodgy PPE kit in the rush to gear up...

Dutch recall 600,000 defective masks from China

Officials in the Netherlands have recalled hundreds of thousands of protective masks, which were imported from China and distributed to hospitals, because they don't meet quality standards.

The Dutch Health Ministry told AFP news agency that 1.3 million masks were delivered on 21 March. About 600,000 of the masks had already been distributed to healthcare workers.

"The rest of the shipment was immediately put on hold and has not been distributed," the ministry said in a statement.

The problem was either that the masks didn't close over the face properly, or were fitted with defective filters.

• Informative
Reactions: tommie

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A great example of why we all need to be careful when buying cheap Chinese crap.

Stay safe, stay at home, save lives.
they are con tricks.

Calling them 'Chinese crap' is just lazy and xenophobic.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Amoto65

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What do you mean by saying the comment was "xenophobic",? Please explain.

we all need to be careful when buying cheap Chinese crap.
You wouldn't like to hear that same expression with our country in it.
An expressions like yours does not sound very good to anyone who opposes xenophobia.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99 and flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Just been reading a story where a shopper who was wearing a military style breathing mask, was coughed on by irritated people in the store mocking him.
Isn't it about time the authorities began stamping down on this sort of thing properly and started shooting people who engage in what I would define as acts of terrorism ? (yes I am serious)

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Just been reading a story where a shopper who was wearing a military style breathing mask, was coughed on by irritated people in the store mocking him.
Isn't it about time the authorities began stamping down on this sort of thing properly and started shooting people who engage in what I would define as acts of terrorism ? (yes I am serious)
Sadly, shooting them is probably going a bit far, but I agree, they should be made an example of, and locked up for a long time.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Just got a phone call from a relative living in a town on the south coast. It seems looting has started there with stores broken into and food & medical supplies stolen. A chemist was raided in broad daylight with looters covering their faces with masks...very convenient.
Another relative who works in a large supermarket informs me their security staff have been told not to stop thieves shoplifting. They were told "if you see someone pushing a loaded trolley through the doors without paying don't stop them"
If we don't see armed soldiers on the doors of large food outlets soon I'll drink my hand gel !

• :D

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
True, prob better to say "the kit from a manufacturer in China".
But the difference this time is that the equipment in question is a matter of life or death :(
I think the 200M€ worth of PPE, just arrived this afternoon in IRL, will no doubt be v.carefully checked..

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
True, prob better to say "the kit from a manufacturer in China".
But the difference this time is that the equipment in question is a matter of life or death :(
I think the 200M€ worth of PPE, just arrived this afternoon in IRL, will no doubt be v.carefully checked..
That reminds me of Fools and Horses.
They could have guessed that face masks made for small round shaped Asian faces won't fit properly larger European faces.
A proper job would be to ask them to make for us what we need, not buying their excess stock.
The point is politicians throw money at it like no tomorrow.
Scammers, at home and abroad, will take advantage of the situation given half a chance.
People who are in charge of buying medical equipment should take scientific advice and get the samples tested before committing, preferably through official channels rather than friends of a friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikelBikel

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
  • Agree

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
That reminds me of Fools and Horses.
They could have guessed that face masks made for small round shaped Asian faces won't fit properly larger European faces.
On this lighter point, I do find that having a big conk (no stop it!), means masks don't usually fit me. And my warm breath goes up out and fogs me specs up. So bad protection, and i can't see where I'm going (think Mr McGoo :cool:.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
face masks stops you touching your nose and mouth, also protect others.
They are still useful even when they don't fit properly.
I wear glasses so touching eyes is not a problem.
We have masks here for some time but only put them on when someone is nearby. I find the straps irritating but otherwise OK.

Reactions: tommie