Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't understand the sentence, try reading to yourself.
I don't need to since it makes perfect sense as I've explained. I'm sorry you can't understand this very clear English usage in reference to your own posts.

How perverse of them to claim to follow the advice of the government and the medial experts but to think it's OK to ignore the advice when it doesn't suit them.

Perverse, arrogant and, above all, selfish.
Wrong again. On Radio 4 a short while ago they had a leading expert on the relevant subjects to clarify this very matter.

He agreed with the health minister's advice, saying that as far as possible people should maintain the safety precautions.

Note those words, "as far as possible".

That is what members are doing, but you choose to attack them and contradict the medical advice because it's impossible to do that to perfection.

I don't know your age, but you give the impression of being young and inexperienced, since it is often they who only see things in black and white, missing all the nuances.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
DIdn't you do domestic science at school?
Even more off topic than we have been, but I can't resist it.

Domestic science (actually food tech then) teacher: Sugar is bad for you; you should use artificial sweetener.
Our daughter: But can't artificial sweeteners be even worse for you?
Teacher: They can't be bad for you, they're artificial.
Our daughter: for once left speechless

Must go and finish cooking supper ...

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Loved domestic science at school - Joy of making baked tatties, crumbles, kedgeree, though my sponge was graded as a top notch biscuit... Mmmm once I can locate a source of eggs I might try baking a coffee sponge.

D

Deleted member 25121

I don't know your age, but you give the impression of being young and inexperienced, since it is often they who only see things in black and white, missing all the nuances.
I don't know your age but you give the impression of being somebody in their 80's who thinks they're always right and can't appreciate the fact that others are entitled to their opinion.

It's a common failing so please don't feel too bad about it.

• Dislike
Reactions: Bobajob

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Problem is with the measures the general principle is there is still a vagueness in interpreting them leading to heated discussion - heck even after thousands of years Old / New Testement , Protestant / Catholic way of conducting / interpretation has led to splintering ;-).

National Trust did announce just before the weekend that National Parks would be open for free, so combined with good weather and folk en masse make a sunny spring break for it with no prospect of let up in the foresable future.

I expect in a weeks time we could and esp London and cities get hit with a ramped up hard implementation of lockdown like Spain and France just ahead of us on he upward curve.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
2009 flu pandemic
Influenza pandemic
Description
The 2009 flu pandemic or swine flu was an influenza pandemic that lasted from January 2009 to August 2010, and the second of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus, albeit a new strain. Wikipedia

Period: April 2009 – 10 August 2010 Trending
Number of deaths: 18,036
Virus strain: Pandemic H1N1/09 virus
First case: Early 2009
Origin: Veracruz, Mexico
Disease: Influenza
Injuries (nonfatal): 604,446

we never had any of this crap when that happend :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Bobajob and flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

Problem is with the measures the general principle is there is still a vagueness in interpreting them leading to heated discussion - heck even after thousands of years Old / New Testement , Protestant / Catholic way of conducting / interpretation has led to splintering ;-).

National Trust did announce just before the weekend that National Parks would be open for free, so combined with good weather and folk en masse make a sunny spring break for it with no prospect of let up in the foresable future.

I expect in a weeks time we could and esp London and cities get hit with a ramped up hard implementation of lockdown like Spain and France just ahead of us on he upward curve.

I expect the lockdowns will start before then, they may even be announced later today (Monday)

National Trust press release from today:
Monday 23 March 2020

National Trust car parks will be closed by the end of Tuesday 24 March in a further attempt to help restrict the spread of coronavirus and to encourage the public to stay local and observe social distancing.

The move comes as the Trust ramps up its efforts to help the nation fight the spread of the virus, which has already seen it temporarily close its houses, shops, cafes, parks and gardens.

Director General Hilary McGrady said:

'Following the scenes we saw at the weekend, where visitors travelled to coast and countryside, it is really important that we do all we can to discourage travel, and ask people instead to stay local and observe social distancing as guided by the government. It is so important that people stay at home. We must all work together and not see a repeat of those weekend scenes.

'There is so much the public can do at home, and over the coming weeks our website, social media feeds, podcasts and video will become even more important, ensuring the places of nature, beauty and history that we care for on behalf of the nation can remain open for business virtually while we are temporarily closed.

'We will also be ramping up our efforts to help people connect with nature wherever they are and to find moments of joy in the world around them. We will be providing rich content and staying in touch with our members and followers throughout this time.'

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
you give the impression of being somebody in their 80's who thinks they're always right and can't appreciate the fact that others are entitled to their opinion.
Far from true, as I've posted in here previously, for every one thing I know, the number of things I don't know is almost infinite. That is true of all of us of course.

But this discussion isn't about opinion, it's about the fact of what the minister and experts advised and the fact that you've opposed it by posting that we should not go out cycling because the two metres isn't always possible.

If your opinion is that the minister and experts are wrong, of course you have the right to that opinion.

But that opinion doesn't entitle you to insult members by saying this about them:

"Perverse, arrogant and, above all, selfish."

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
2009 flu pandemic
Influenza pandemic
Description
The 2009 flu pandemic or swine flu was an influenza pandemic that lasted from January 2009 to August 2010, and the second of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus, albeit a new strain. Wikipedia

Period: April 2009 – 10 August 2010 Trending
Number of deaths: 18,036
Virus strain: Pandemic H1N1/09 virus
First case: Early 2009
Origin: Veracruz, Mexico
Disease: Influenza
Injuries (nonfatal): 604,446

we never had any of this crap when that happend :rolleyes:
And for the umpteenth time SW

Yes it was a big deal but H1N1 killed only 0.01–0.03% of those infected and still racked up a large death toll - The corona virus is much more infectious & fatal killing 1-10% of those infected and putting many more in hospital in needing intensive care at a rate beyond their capacity. Look at what's happening in Italian & Spanish hospitals presently and work it out for yourself that what it going on.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the key difference is 33% of older people (60+ years old) are immune to H1N1.
In addition, some antivirals did work: oseltamivir for example, which is now trialled against CORVID19.
Corvid19 is lethal to about 1% of those confirmed cases, mostly against old people, leaving the other 99%, mostly young and active, to spread it further.

D

Deleted member 25121

But this discussion isn't about opinion, it's about the fact of what the minister and experts advised and the fact that you've opposed it by posting that we should not go out cycling because the two metres isn't always possible.
That's not a fact, it's a lie. I'm certainly not opposed to the advice of experts and I'm not against going out cycling.

I've never said that I'm opposed to either of those and I challenge you to find a posting of mine where I did so.

Either that or apologise for the lies.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bobajob and flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I expect the lockdowns will start before then, they may even be announced later today (Monday)

National Trust press release from today:
Monday 23 March 2020

National Trust car parks will be closed by the end of Tuesday 24 March in a further attempt to help restrict the spread of coronavirus and to encourage the public to stay local and observe social distancing.

The move comes as the Trust ramps up its efforts to help the nation fight the spread of the virus, which has already seen it temporarily close its houses, shops, cafes, parks and gardens.

Director General Hilary McGrady said:

'Following the scenes we saw at the weekend, where visitors travelled to coast and countryside, it is really important that we do all we can to discourage travel, and ask people instead to stay local and observe social distancing as guided by the government. It is so important that people stay at home. We must all work together and not see a repeat of those weekend scenes.

'There is so much the public can do at home, and over the coming weeks our website, social media feeds, podcasts and video will become even more important, ensuring the places of nature, beauty and history that we care for on behalf of the nation can remain open for business virtually while we are temporarily closed.

'We will also be ramping up our efforts to help people connect with nature wherever they are and to find moments of joy in the world around them. We will be providing rich content and staying in touch with our members and followers throughout this time.'

19 March 2020 - and its also in a press release on NT website

Coronavirus: National Trust to open parks for free to give people 'access to space'

This and good weather unfortunately acted as the starting pistol which backfired, due to the popularity for folk to get out and about, ahead of being indefinately grounded.

If it had been the usual rainy windy weekend then it wouldn't have been such a controversy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

But that opinion doesn't entitle you to insult members by saying this about them:

"Perverse, arrogant and, above all, selfish."
But you've entitled to say that I'm not as intelligent as yourself because I hold views that differ from yours?

Isn't that a tad "perverse and arrogant"?

• Dislike
Reactions: Bobajob

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so why was the country not shut down when that happens?

will every virus from now on mean we go in to total lock down if not why?

the numbers do not add up when compared to how many ppl die in the uk anyway.

14000 ppl die every day in the uk anyway cv is not even at 0.01% yet so what you saying is in 3 weeks 60k will die every day pmsl.

no one has died from cv on its own and no one will and thats a fact all this is being done for is so governments can bring in there emergency powers and when that happens they will be able to throw you in a loony bin.

i doubt cv will kill more than swine flue and will cost billions if not trillions so bang goes paying the debt off ever.

and we will all pay the price then because the tax will go through the roof as some one has to pay for all this.

if 98000 ppl die from cv with other health problems then that is how many ppl die in the uk in 7 days anyway.

cant spin it like that on the news tho can you ;) cos you will look like a twat.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so why was the country not shut down when that happens?
we still may shutdown to protect the NHS.
However, corona virus seems to behave like other viruses, it's seasonal.
If the NHS can manage through April then we won't have to lockdown, May will be easier, June, July will be even easier, then it will get worse when summer is gone.
Italy seems to peak at 7,000 new cases / 700 fatalities a day.
The wave this winter will be about 4 times higher than this one and we may even have a second year of CORVID19 to worry about.
So, 1% of 80% UK population: 500,000 over 2 years: 700 fatalities a day.
That's what Italy is going through.

Last edited: