Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think what we need next is a good old zombie Apocalypse :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
No, they really don't. Check again and do the maths on that number vs our population

It's BS

How many people die each year?
Around 500,000 people die in England each year, and it is predicted that this will rise to 590,000 within the next 20 years. Heart failure and stroke are the biggest killers. One in four people in the UK will die of cancer. With an increasingly ageing population, the majority of older people will be living with a number of conditions. For example, around 30% of people over the age of 85 with cancer will also have dementia.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Soundwave - it's less the absolute numbers at the moment that should be worrying you so much as the exponential growth. Numbers of new cases and numbers of deaths are doubling about every four days and we have no immunity, no treatment and no vaccine. Over a dozen dead doctors in Italy by last weekend, several doctors and nurses are on intensive care in the UK already and Italy's outbreak started before that in the UK so we know full well what is coming. Approximately once every fourteen days you can add a zero to the number of deaths. Two weeks ago in the USA there had been 31 deaths. As of today, 512. Two weeks' time and you are looking at close to 10,000 dead since even if people locked themselves down today, it will take a couple of weeks for those to die who are infected now and going to end up dying. A month from here, unless the entire country shuts down and goes home until the incubation period is over? Do the maths then reconsider whether governments are over-reacting when they start telling people not to leave their houses.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's not a fact, it's a lie. I'm certainly not opposed to the advice of experts and I'm not against going out cycling.

I've never said that I'm opposed to either of those and I challenge you to find a posting of mine where I did so.

Either that or apologise for the lies.
Utter rubbish, you've been conducting a sustained campaign against those still cycling on the grounds that they can't stay two metres apart at all times. You've also added that they can't stay two metres away from pedestrians on the pavements. You've even had the nerve to criticise Woosh for cycling with his family.

On this link in the last line you're telling him not to cycle since he cannot of course ensure the 2 metres gap. No-one can, since it takes two at least to achieve that.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so there going to have to do this for every virus in the future then, but it will not happen you watch.

this is being done for a reason and its not the virus thats just the excuse.

we was heading for another crash a massive one now this crap comes along just in time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so there going to have to do this for every virus in the future then
possibly.
I am an optimist though. We'll learn from this crisis.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
possibly.
I am an optimist though. We'll learn from this crisis.
well make sure it is zombies or terminators next time :p

D

Deleted member 25121

we still may shutdown to protect the NHS.
However, corona virus seems to behave like other viruses, it's seasonal.
If the NHS can manage through April then we won't have to lockdown, May will be easier, June, July will be even easier, then it will get worse when summer is gone.
They do say that but it's effecting Australia badly right now and they're in their hot period.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They do say that but it's effecting Australia badly right now and they're in their hot period.
their March is our September. In 3 months, they will have to lockdown like we do now.

D

Deleted member 25121

Utter rubbish, you've been conducting a sustained campaign against those still cycling on the grounds that they can't stay two metres apart at all times. You've also added that they can't stay two metres away from pedestrians on the pavements. You've even had the nerve to criticise Woosh for cycling with his family.

On this link in the last line you're telling him not to cycle since he cannot of course ensure the 2 metres gap. No-one can, since it takes two at least to achieve that.
What absolute garbage, you're making things up as you're going along, are you trying to out Trump Trump?

I've been saying that people should take care that they are at least 2m from people when they are out cycling and walking for that matter. Stop putting lies into my mouth.

Michael Price in post #29 describes how he achieves that, it's done by taking care and choosing routes that don't take you too close to other people.

It's not rocket science, if you care to think about it.

• Dislike
Reactions: Bobajob
D

Deleted member 25121

As I was saying, tougher measures are having to be put in place because too many people are flaunting the recommendations of the health experts and our government:

There are too many people trying to bend the recommendations to suit their own purposes I'm afraid.

• :D
Reactions: Bobajob and POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the government will not gain emergency powers until it has been passed buy parliament and the house of lords to gain royal assent.

this can not be enforced buy law until this process has been completed and could last for 2 years and was the plan from the start.

D

Deleted member 25121

it's usually busier than in the reportage. I have a friend whose house is just on the hill up from the beach. That part of Sydney is very densely populated.
I have never liked Bondi beach, much prefer Manly Beach.
Yes, it gets jammed there. My point was that it's the end of summer in Australia and the virus seems to have spread badly there so I'm not too hopeful that the warmer weather will help us too much here.

D

Deleted member 25121

AT the moment I think I will be avoiding places where I have to pass people on narrow path - like some canal tow paths.
I will still ride (at the moment) but mainly on wide paths and roads where I can easily stay more than 2m away from other people
I have no idea whether or not I have got this virus - or have had it - but we all need to avoid contacts so it does not get passed on

It is just a case of thinking of other people - we need to work together and reduce contact - that way the virus will spread slower and the NHS will be able to cope without people like my step son having to decide whether to save patient A - because doing so means that patient B dies. Bodies may not be piling up in the streets but we are very very close to a point where people are dying unnecessarily due to lack of resources
Well said, if cyclists find themselves often getting too close to other people (<2m) then they should find safer places to cycle or, failing that, exercise in other ways. Walking for example can offer more opportunities to keep safe provided it's in an open area or even your own garden if you have one.

Reactions: Bobajob and POLLY

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Woosh

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
so there going to have to do this for every virus in the future then, but it will not happen you watch.

this is being done for a reason and its not the virus thats just the excuse.

we was heading for another crash a massive one now this crap comes along just in time.
Virus's have different infection and fatality rates:

Epidemics and pandemics are not new and every generation or so they bite us in the bum as we are generally unacustomed to them in our lifetime. A bit like folk on Sri Lanka on Boxing day when confronted by the Tsunami, never having ever seen one before, thought it rather novel & quaint and inquisitivy wandered from the beach onto the exposed sea bed as the sea initially receded before it come back with a vengence ...

• 1918/9 Spanish Flu H1N1, 40-50 million dead

• 1957/8 Asian Flu Influenza A, subtype H2N2, 2 million dead

• 1968/9 Hong Kong Flu H3N2, 1 million

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been saying that people should take care that they are at least 2m from people when they are out cycling and walking for that matter. Stop putting lies into my mouth.
The lies are yours, changing your language now to cover for it. If you'd only been saying "take care", none of us would have clashed with you since we do take care. You've been arrogantly and argumentatively condemning others because they've sometimes been in circumstances unable to maintain the two metres at all times.

As I've posted, it's impossible to be certain of the separation, simply because the others around have equal power to influence the gap. Also many simply cannot chose routes that don't take one close to other people, the 10.2 millions in our city can't. All they can do is try.

Anyway the PM has shown you to be wrong in taking the uncompromising stance you have.

Even in his tonight's tightening up, he says we can go out alone or with family once a day doing the exercise of our choice, trying to avoid being too close to others.

He also said we can go out shopping for essential food, and in supermarkets and many smaller shops that guarantees frequently being closer than two metres apart.