Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do those square panniers catch ur heels or interfere with the folding?.
They have to be lifted of for a fold, but I rarely folded this one.

They don't catch the heels, being Dutch they are well designed with an angle in the lower leading face to maintain heel clearance. The extra length of the bike with a rear of seatpost battery helps too.

Reactions: oriteroom

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
They have to be lifted of for a fold, but I rarely folded this one.

They don't catch the heels, being Dutch they are well designed with an angle in the lower leading face to maintain heel clearance. The extra length of the bike with a rear of seatpost battery helps too.
Do they reduce your speed, or can you go faster, better aerodynamics?
(There, I've managed to get the 's' & 'f' words into the same question, there'll be complaints, hehe ;-) )download (12).jpeg

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do they reduce your speed, or can you go faster, better aerodynamics?
(There, I've managed to get the 's' & 'f' words into the same question, there'll be complaints, hehe ;-) )View attachment 34579
It's naturally restricted bike, speed limited by battery voltage and motor wind.

Fresh off the charger 17 mph, gradually declining to 15 mph.

I pedal it much faster though and at 25 to 28 mph on a long slight downslope coming back from the supermarket I've never noticed air drag.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Instead of putting it to bed, you can get your weeks shopping on it. Just find a better way of carrying it than me. I could see those bag handles tearing!
I did nearly all my shopping by electric bike until the lock down, and in my household that meant fairly frequent smaller shopping trips on my bike.

Now for the first time in years I am using the car to do a bigger shop and then keeping away from the supermarkets as long as possible, aiming at one shop in one store every two weeks.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now for the first time in years I am using the car to do a bigger shop and then keep away from the supermarkets as long as possible, aiming at one shop in one store every two weeks.
Similar for me, car only and with as few visits as possible. With milk lasting much longer than the use by date at this time of the year I can go three weeks.

But with the main virus impact due soon, I've now gone much further. I've frozen solid some bottles of milk in the freezer so am aiming for five or six weeks to the next visit.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oriteroom

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think that is a good strategy flecc. We watched some sobering and heart braking footage from North Italy on the TV yesterday where a very modern hospital had been simply overwhelmed by the numbers of seriously ill people needing intensive treatment .

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Yes i know some are coming this way, that`s why i`m concerned.
Who done due diligence on this big consignment?
Were samples obtained and assessed for quality?
These things should have been done in the light of other european countries having to reject and return to China vast quantities of their order.

I`m convinced the Irish government are on a wing and a prayer with this
Hate to say it in these circumstances but told you so.
This is what happens when this thick Irish gov. goes shopping on AliExpress

12:11
Gowns sent from China 'not fit for purpose'
Part of a consignment of personal protective equipment recently distributed to Covid-19 test centres, mobile ambulance units and hospitals in the Republic of Ireland is being described as "not fit for purpose" and "unusable" by medical staff, RTE is reporting.
It says some new deliveries of PPE distributed this week contained protective gowns which are three-quarter length on the arm.

This means that they are unusable for staff, since they do not give full protective cover.
The gowns are understood to have been supplied from China.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I must say I'm surprised more people didn't opt to have their groceries delivered to their door and follow advice.
It's mixing with others that's caused this whole thing to kick off in the first placed like it has.
TBH I'm extremely angry the way both the government and the people of the UK have handled the whole debacle.
In days of old when your enemy chased you back to your castle you pulled the drawbridge up, you didn't invite them in !

As for me...I don't go out and wont be doing so. My partner registered with every food store in existence so we get regular deliveries no problems at all.
I first heard about this outbreak way back and when I tried warning friends & relatives they thought I was a nut.
A neighbour of mine said it was all fake news put about by the BBC ? Another said "F**k it..who cares"
I wonder if they still think it's nonsense.

Reactions: POLLY and tommie

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
As for me...I don't go out and wont be doing so. My partner registered with every food store in existence so we get regular deliveries no problems at all.
Thing is what are you meant to do for food if you can't register for food for at least 6 weeks? which is the case around where I live. We have no alternative but going out once a week for food.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
"I must say I'm surprised more people didn't opt to have their groceries delivered to their door and follow advice.

My partner registered with every food store in existence so we get regular deliveries no problems at all. "

Incredibly lucky you, even supposedly prioritised high risk people like us simply struggle to get any slots, let alone enjoying "regular" deliveries. So much for us all being in this together, there is no "option" for all getting regular home deliveries.
Living in the sticks might be part of the reason, despite its advantages in inherent isolation. Good news, we have got one in just under the month, bad news, we can't order enough to cover any real period till we can get another.
Thankfully, some of our villagers are great people.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must say I'm surprised more people didn't opt to have their groceries delivered to their door and follow advice.
Same as Amoto65 in my very high density population area, trying to register proved impossible for many I know and even the existing customers were having difficulties ordering.

I didn't need to personally, being old enough to well remember the deprivations of rationing and shortages of the twelve years of WW2 and the following period, I've always carried stocks of the basics to carry me for a couple of months or more. Anticipating what was going to happen with the coronavirus, all I needed to do was top up, which I did in comfort before the mad rush began that stripped shelves.

Milk is the only thing I will need this side of July since I used to bake my own bread years ago and will return to that as necessary, using my stock of flour and dried yeast.

Finally I don't consider doorstep deliveries are necessarily safe. A driver rushing around to numerous housholds meeting all those people is an ideal potential vector for the virus, and could easily become a super-spreader. Not to mention all the people making up your order back at base.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Thing what are you meant to do for food if you can't register for food for at least 6 weeks? which is the case around where I live. We have no alternative but going out once a week for food.
In my case we already had accounts for online shopping at all the major stores because..well, you never know.
The same mentality also told me years ago to keep a large supply of protective gear like masks (three different kinds) gloves by the hundreds two different types of goggles and so on.
These outbreaks happen every now and again usually starting in China and lets be clear about this, if it had started in Bognor it would be Bognor Flu. It came from China so it's CHINESE Flu (the only thing I have ever agreed with Trump on) it's the fault of the Chinese government 100% and the filthy disgusting practices of the Chinese people.

Reactions: Fat Rat and POLLY

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Same as Amoto65 in my very high density population area, trying to register proved impossible for many I know and even the existing customers were having difficulties ordering.

I didn't need to personally, being old enough to well remember the deprivations of rationing and shortages of the twelve years of WW2 and the following period, I've always carried stocks of the basics to carry me for a couple of months or more. Anticipating what was going to happen with the coronavirus, all I needed to do was top up, which I did in comfort before the mad rush began that stripped shelves.

Milk is the only thing I will need this side of July since I used to bake my own bread years ago and will return to that as necessary, using my stock of flour and dried yeast.

Finally I don't consider doorstep deliveries are necessarily safe. A driver rushing around to numerous housholds meeting all those people is an ideal potential vector for the virus, and could easily become a super-spreader. Not to mention all the people making up your order back at base.
Ah doorstep deliveries now then, again in my case everything is left outside by the driver then I let several minutes pass to allow for vapour dispersal before bringing it inside. Everything is sanitized and I mean EVERTHING...even apples. Outer packaging is removed which almost certainly has some level of contamination.
Food itself is safe to eat, it's the packaging that must be cleaned.
When I told everyone I know what I was doing, moving shopping from an unclean area to a clean one they all thought I was crazy, now there are videos online advising exactly the same thing. What I want to know why was this not advised two months ago which is when I first started doing it ?

Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
it's the fault of the Chinese government 100% and the filthy disgusting practices of the Chinese people.
Wow so now all the Chinese people have supposedly filthy disgusting practices according to your post, that seems a rather racist attitude......

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the dwp kill 100k every 6 months but that is fine ;) bet that is going to sky rocket now with 1 million more claims :p

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
In my case we already had accounts for online shopping at all the major stores because..well, you never know.
The same mentality also told me years ago to keep a large supply of protective gear like masks (three different kinds) gloves by the hundreds two different types of goggles and so on.
These outbreaks happen every now and again usually starting in China and lets be clear about this, if it had started in Bognor it would be Bognor Flu. It came from China so it's CHINESE Flu (the only thing I have ever agreed with Trump on) it's the fault of the Chinese government 100% and the filthy disgusting practices of the Chinese people.
Ah doorstep deliveries now then, again in my case everything is left outside by the driver then I let several minutes pass to allow for vapour dispersal before bringing it inside. Everything is sanitized and I mean EVERTHING...even apples. Outer packaging is removed which almost certainly has some level of contamination.
Food itself is safe to eat, it's the packaging that must be cleaned.
When I told everyone I know what I was doing, moving shopping from an unclean area to a clean one they all thought I was crazy, now there are videos online advising exactly the same thing. What I want to know why was this not advised two months ago which is when I first started doing it ?
Yes I flamethrower EVERYTHING and when I get a Chinese takeaway I boil it for an hour and then stamp on it till all the nasty Chineseness is got rid off...

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Wow so now all the Chinese people have supposedly filthy disgusting practices according to your post, that seems a rather racist attitude......
Agree...think a more considered observation might be....

Source.......A “delicacy” of an entire nation that mutated to vanquish it's predator. Well if certain “cultures” are going to carry on eating bats, snakes, and monkeys, it’s no wonder that the whole world has been contaminated with viruses...you'd have thought we would have learned from the SARS, MERS, Ebola and other historic plague pandemics....obviously not, and now we're ALL paying the price!!!!

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019

Source.......A “delicacy” of an entire nation that mutated to vanquish it's predator. Well if certain “cultures” are going to carry on eating bats, snakes, and monkeys, it’s no wonder that the whole world has been contaminated with viruses...you'd have thought we would have learned from the SARS, MERS, Ebola and other historic plague pandemics....obviously not, and now we're ALL paying the price!!!!
Quite right. Funny thing is the best cleanest Salmon you can buy is from Chinese fish farms, they can sort it properly when they want to.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

while it's true that corona viruses dwell in a lot of animals that live close to humans (bats in particular, cats and mice are two examples), there is no proof that COVID19 comes from any of these animals.
for all our speculations, it could be a mutation from SARS or MERS.
I am all for the practice of selling and eating these animals be got rid of in any case and that wet market needs to be deep cleaned.

Reactions: POLLY