Q128H

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think it'll overheat because it's quite a low speed wind. It feels a lot slower and more efficient than the Xiongda in high gear, but I don't think it will match the Xiongda in low gear, which is like a winch; however, the Q128 has an ace up its sleeve. The Xiongda is probably close to its limit at 48v 15A, while as the Q128 can go up to 28 amps at 37v according to that test report, so 23 amps at 48v should be OK, which will give it immense absolute climbing power. I don't have a 48v battery that can go that high on current at the moment to test that.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Q128H has several advantages over the xiongda xd: cheaper, quieter, lighter and not requiring a specially setup controller.​

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not quieter. It very quiet, but the Xiongda is silent. It's about the same size and weight as the Xiongda too. I think it's main advantage is that you can use the controller that goes on the 09 bottle battery for a neater installation.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
does yours come with helical gears?

D

Deleted member 4366

IIRC they're 2-stage gears with the one to the motor helical and the one to the clutch straight cut.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you had to choose, which one would you prefer? xiongda XD of Q128H?

D

Deleted member 4366

I haven't tried the Q128 enough yet, but if you want to berestricted to legal speeds its a simpler solution. At 48v and 20 amps, it has enough torque for nearly every situation.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
The Xiongda is fantastic when it works.But in my opinion the motor should be rebuildt.And maybe by another company like pansonic for example.Then it would be perfect.My last motor was quiet for about one week,before the growling sound came.It is still reasonable quiet in high gear with little resistance.but in low speed gear it is very noisy.To much trouble with this motor.Me and my friend have had 4 of theese motors now.Two of them are burned.And the two others are noisy.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Q128H is not perfect either. I don't like the design of its clutch, I reckon it can slip under high load.
aikema.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

the Q128H is not perfect either. I don't like the design of its clutch, I reckon it can slip under high load.
View attachment 11414
I would say that it's the strongest vlutch out of all the geared hub-motors that I've seen. It also has the advantage that it's between the gears and the hub, so the hub becomes completely free when free-wheeling. The Bafangs, Ezee and others have the vlutch between the gears snd the motor, so the gears turn when free-wheeling. What don't you like about it?

No pictures yet. I've just lashed it up for testing.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
What don't you like about it?
the two (or three) tiny springs, you see one of them on the picture, that keep the friction pads tied together. I like the idea of an overunning clutch but as they slip by design to prevent overrun, they can slip when you climb steep hills. The margin depends on the quality of these small springs.

Last edited:

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
This is from endlessphere:

I've gotta couple 201RPM Q128H, 700c wheels running 16S RC Lipo (59-67V). Top speed about 22-24MPH off the charger. I dunno anything about laminations or efficiency ratings but they climb like mad on 900W peak controller power. In service for nearly a year - windings and gears look fresh as day 1.

Reason for disassembly - clutches have been sorta PITA eating springs which supposedly help rollers (pawls) engage clutch drum. One motor I left the springs out and it's been fine with only an occasional slippage on start-up. The other clutch I sourced some much thicker wire springs which seem to be holding up just fine so far.

Based on what I've seen/experienced, I wouldn't hesitate to push Q128H up to 72V. They're an ok little motor IMO and one of the easiest mini-motors to disassemble I've had the pleasure of yanking apart.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=68293

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
So the 48v motor at 48v will spin at 201rpm, the 36v motor at 36v will also spin at 201rpm but the 36v motor run at 44v will spin at 245rpm? Is the 36v/48v motor difference just extra grunt in the 48v version?
So a light person could get the same acceleration from the 36v model as a heavier persons acceleration from the 48v one?

D

Deleted member 4366

That sounds about right. The 36v Xiongda at 20 amps is very similar to the 48v 0ne at 15 amps apart from the dpeed. I guess it's the same with the Q128.

tongxinpete

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2011
Telford, Shrops
Anyone know if a Cons 91 controller (from Greenbikekit) will work with this motor? I am very happy with the Cons 61 on the Q100. I like to keep things simple with just a throttle, & the best prices inc shipping are from the above for controllers.
Worst hill the motor would be up against is moment-ally 1 in 4 !!! I am tempted to buy spokes for both a 24'' & 26'' rim. Bike is for a friend of retirement age but reasonably fit.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes it does, but make sure you get the LED control panel to go with it. You can also use the KU93 from BMSB. The best one would be the 20 amp controller that comes with the 09 bottle battery, but failing that, the S12S would be good to, though it's massive.

tongxinpete

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2011
Telford, Shrops
Why is the LED control panel essential? I have never used one before, or come to that what will be the outcome of not having this part. We are on a tight budget on this one - I am a volunteer to the project, just helping out as needed. Sorry about the delay but just could not find the posting again - old age I guess!!!

D

Deleted member 4366

Without it, you only get one level of PAS, which I think is level 1 of 3. If it were 3 of 3, it would be even worse. You need all three levels.

tongxinpete

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2011
Telford, Shrops
So the level of PAS has an effect on actual amps drawn from the batt? or the 3 phase frequency? From what you say (Level 1 bad, 3 worse), then I presume that Level 2 is just right. Does this apply if a throttle & no PAS sensor is fitted to the bike? I had no idea these little LCD displays had so much influence on actual performance, having never used one.