Rear hub or front wheel hub? Help!!

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Hi there I'm new to this forum so please bear with me so my question is what motor should I get for my bike (rear hub or front wheel motor) also what conversion kit should I buy? I was thinking 36v 250w but I'm just a noob, that's my bike could someone help me what would be a better option (rear or front wheel) I also want a twist throttle.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
front hub is easiest to fit, rear hub gives best traction especially on wet roads.
If you are lightweight, rear hub is better for you.
Which kit?
That does not matter on flat roads because you only need about 200W-250W to maintain legal speed (15.5mph) and all kits can do that.
If you have steep hills, choose a larger rear motor that suits your weight.
I usually recommend the Aikema 85SX for up to 14 stone, XF08C for up to 16 stone and DWG22C for over 16 stone.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
front hub is easiest to fit
All good advice (as we'd expect from Woosh).
One extra comment: front hub requires fairly solid forks.

We have front kit (from Woosh) on our tandem. Despite the extra weight the traction is less important as the weight balance between wheels is more even on a tandem.

Front hub has extra advantage is some slightly slippy circumstances that you have two wheel drive (front motor, back you). Has really helped often in one slightly upward often slippery grass track we do fairly often, when we've lost traction on the back the motor on the front has kept us going. Probably wouldn't apply with a real off-road rear tyre.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's very simple. Always a rear hub-motor unless there's some reason you can't.

There are safety issues with a front motor, the noise is worse, they upset both your handling and suspension and you lose traction on steep hills when you need it most, and on any slippery surfaces. It's not worth accepting all that to save 20 minutes on installation. That's if you can save anything. You nearly always have to file the front drop-outs to get the axle in. By the time you've done that, you could probably complete the installation of a rear motor. Most rear drop-outs don't need to be filed.

• Agree
Reactions: angcheewei and sjpt

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021

There are safety issues with a front motor, the noise is worse, they upset both your handling and suspension and you lose traction on steep hills when you need it most, and on any slippery surfaces. It's not worth accepting all that to save 20 minutes on installation. That's if you can save anything. You nearly always have to file the front drop-outs to get the axle in. By the time you've done that, you could probably complete the installation of a rear motor. Most rear drop-outs don't need to be filed.
What battery should I look for?

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021

Are voilamart conversion kit good ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Voilamart cheap and nasty and basic 3 speed controller, most are D/D hubs though they do sell a 250w geared front hub. You get what you pay for.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Voilamart cheap and nasty and basic 3 speed controller, most are D/D hubs though they do sell a 250w geared front hub. You get what you pay for.
Would voilamart work on a 21 speed (3x7) and could it work with a twist throttle or would I need to use a thumb throttle

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes and maybe if the controller has a throttle outlet. Any throttle will need 3 wire connection if one can be added.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Yes and maybe if the controller has a throttle outlet. Any throttle will need 3 wire connection if one can be added.
So what battery do I get?
For this model:
  • voilamart 36V 500W 26" Rear Wheel Electric Bicycle E Bike Motor Conversion Kit with Thumb Throttle

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For this model:
  • voilamart 36V 500W 26" Rear Wheel Electric Bicycle E Bike Motor Conversion Kit with Thumb Throttle
Depends on the controller current rating !!!
If it is a DD hub one probably think you will soon be back asking what's wrong with it once fitted.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Depends on the controller current rating !!!
If it is a DD hub one probably think you will soon be back asking what's wrong with it once fitted.
It says
Motor type:Brushless Gearless Motor

Don't go there, as Nealh says (and flecc now). You'll need a pretty hefty battery. You'll get better hill climbing out of a nominal 250w geared motor, it will be lighter, and need a cheaper battery, and be legal on roads and public off road places.

Nealh and flecc know much more about it than I do. I am one of the lucky ones who was saved from buying such a kit by reading this forum in advance. If you search the forum you'll find many other unlucky ones who bought such a kit.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
For this model:
That kit probably won't give you what you're hoping for. They lack torque for hill-climbing, drain your battery very quickly, are very heavy, and aren't comfortable to pedal without power. Get one with a geared hub-motor.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
It says
Motor type:Brushless Gearless Motor

Don't go there, as Nealh says (and flecc now). You'll need a pretty hefty battery. You'll get better hill climbing out of a nominal 250w geared motor, it will be lighter, and need a cheaper battery, and be legal on roads and public off road places.

Nealh and flecc know much more about it than I do. I am one of the lucky ones who was saved from buying such a kit by reading this forum in advance. If you search the forum you'll find many other unlucky ones who bought such a kit.
Hi nice too meet you, could you please tell me how geared motor works and also would this work with a 21 speed (3x7) and what will I need to buy thanks, sorry I'm a noob :rolleyes:

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I'm a newbie to the world of ebikes too and have just finished fitting a rear hub motor to my tandem. I got a lot of information from the forum prior to purchasing my rear motor kit from Woosh. The best advice I could give you is to deal directly with them and get one of their recommended hub motor kits. Buy cheap / buy twice.

There's a lot to be said for a UK based supplier when it comes to support / advice / spare parts. I've had rapid responses to emails and telephone calls from support to help me with some queries I raised with Woosh.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I'm a newbie to the world of ebikes too and have just finished fitting a rear hub motor to my tandem. I got a lot of information from the forum prior to purchasing my rear motor kit from Woosh. The best advice I could give you is to deal directly with them and get one of their recommended hub motor kits. Buy cheap / buy twice.

There's a lot to be said for a UK based supplier when it comes to support / advice / spare parts. I've had rapid responses to emails and telephone calls from support to help me with some queries I raised with Woosh.
Thanks so much will try Woosh

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021

Do you have a picture of your bike so I could see how this set up works thanks.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
This thread should give you an indication:

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
This thread should give you an indication:

love you're bike set up.