Rear rack battery holder

CyclingMarc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 7, 2020
I've got a feeling you're going to be disappointed. I wish you luck anyway and I'll try to help if you need anything.

Whatever battery you get, choose one with branded cells and aim for at least 5 amps headroom on current supply. If you chose a 15 amp 250w TSDZ02, that would mean a battery capable of supplying 20 amps continuous.
Would the eBay sellers "Yose Power" be any good?

It's a 36v 10ah

I have purchased a 36v 350w Tsdz2

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
Many forum members have ordered from them. Most seem to be happy.
Thank you

I'm not expecting amazing things or it to be like a Bosch, I see it as a steeping stone/trial before buying a Bosch performance line

It will hopefully be a fun and interesting process

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you

I'm not expecting amazing things or it to be like a Bosch, I see it as a steeping stone/trial before buying a Bosch performance line

It will hopefully be a fun and interesting process
There's been several complaints about it's lack of power and the way its characteristics don't match the way the rider pedals. Some people find it OK, but they never give a frame of reference. Also, there have been some reliability issues, particularly the torque sensor. By all accounts the open source firmware can fix some of the issues, but the procedure to flash it in is complicated and a degree in system control would be useful to get it set up properly.

IMHO, a hub-motor with a KT controller is much better than any Bosch system, for normal riding, and it's a lot cheaper too. It gives all the power you need and a lot more choice over how much power the motor gives and a greater choice of how hard you want to pedal. Also such a system is more reliable and has lower running costs. Best of all, everything is under your own control. you can set the speed to anything you want, use a throttle if you want, replace parts with what you want when you want, etc.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Some people find it OK, but they never give a frame of reference.
Am confused as to what you mean here. There are plenty of positive reports from owners of all manner of systems on here, yourself a particularly strong one for hub motors. Equally there are critics of all manner of systems from those who have had bad experiences with their setup. What is your personal experience with a tsdz? They are not perfect by any means but what is? If there was one perfect system, such a myriad with their differing characteristics would not exist to choose from :/

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Am confused as to what you mean here. There are plenty of positive reports from owners of all manner of systems on here, yourself a particularly strong one for hub motors. Equally there are critics of all manner of systems from those who have had bad experiences with their setup. What is your personal experience with a tsdz? They are not perfect by any means but what is? If there was one perfect system, such a myriad with their differing characteristics would not exist to choose from :/
I installed a 250w TSDZ a few years ago for a friend. It felt very weak. It reminded me of the old 24v Panasonic crank drives. as it happened, I had one on order at the time for myself. I still have it, and after my experience, I've never felt motivated to fit it to anything.

I don't prefer hub-motors as such. Each system has advantages and disadvantages in different situations. With any motor, the system that drives it is mainly what sets it's characteristics. I have to admit that, until now, I've never found a better bike and motor system that I have now for my type of riding. I have enough cash to buy anything I want. If I could find a better bike, I'd buy it. I have two crank drive bikes and about 7 other hub-motor bikes, but I haven't used any of the others for ages.

One of the problems of positive reports is that some of the reporters have very little experience of alternatives on which to place their judgement. I try to encourage people to make long-term reports after 1000s of miles, but we get very few truly objective ones. I even have first hand knowledge of forum members that have boasted how reliable their bikes have been, conveniently forgetting about what I'd call major problems that they had because the dealer fixed it under warranty. It's like people are embarrassed about the problems their bikes have as if it reflects on their judgement. I don't mind that, but I think it's very wrong to mislead people.

I have nothing to gain by recommending anything. I'm not tied to any trade. My only objective is to help people make the best choice for what they need. Sure I have biases. I'm biased for the products that I found to be good and against those that I found to be not so good.

You're right. There's no perfect system, and I've never ridden any electric bike that I wouldn't want to own if it were the only one in the world.Most of the differences are flysh!t. It's only when people have special circumstances and need special characteristics that we need to be more discerning. I'm sure you've seen it: A guy comes on and says he's got dodgy legs and can hardly pedal, so he needs an electric bike, then three or four people can't wait to tell him how great their torque sensor Bosch/Shimano/Yamaha bikes are.

Look at the guy a couple of days ago. He had a go on a Bosch, the only bike he'd ridden, liked it, couldn't afford it, so wanted a kit with a torque sensor, hoping that it would be like a Bosch. Do you think he would have been happy? What if his friend had Woosh Camino and he had a go on it? Would he have still come back with a smile on his face?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Dave, do you know if the internal controller fits into both base designs?

sorry op for sidetrack
No. Nothing is interchangeable, as I found out. IIRC, it physically fits, but there was some other issue that made it a nogo. The connectors are different and the slots on the battery are in different positions, so the batteries are specific to the receiver. Basically, everything is specific to each set.

Heres the two aluminium boxes without the controllers in.

Last edited:
Reactions: jarob10

CyclingMarc

Nov 7, 2020
Just an update that my bike is overall working well, as a first conversion I'm very pleased at the Tsdz2 motor power, compactness and ease of install

I wouldn't recommend a rear battery as alot of the weight seems to have a rear bias even with my downtube battery

So far I've covered 80 miles without any issues, I seem to be using "sport" alot so can't really give an accurate battery update but circa 24miles seems to be the range. I'm hoping as my fitness increases and the novelty of the faster modes wear off that my range will Increase........maybe lol

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Yay glad you are enjoying it!

When you get to around 200miles double check the crank bolts. Mine started creaking & needed a nip up. Am well into the 400s now and so far so good.

Reactions: Bikes4two

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I converted this bike to a bbs02 several years ago. I used a rack battery because I thought the frame was too curvy for a downtube pack. Put a wood plank on the existing rack and screwed the battery to it. I had some issues with pannier bags, but finally found one that hooked on. It's one of a half dozen conversions over the past 6 years, and I don't think it handles bad at all, being a 48 pound bike.

My main regret is that the big red tail light advertises "ebike". On the other hand, I like it lit up at night.

Bafang BBS02 pedal assist is a bit heavy handed until I set it for 9 levels. Then I was able to get a comfortable cadence for my slow riding.

I also bought a TSDZ2 kit, 500W, 48V and am sitting on it.

P1510255.jpg

Reactions: Bikes4two