Rear rack

frenchie851

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2020
Hi all,

What rear rack can I buy that doesn't need to fit behind the saddle.

I am looking at a bike where if I fit a rack it could block getting the battery in and out.

Thanks,
LEIGH

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you'll need the rack that is made for your battery, not just any rack.
It comes with slider, lock, keys and lock ring for your battery.
You also need to check if your bike has the correct threads and lugs. Two M5 lugs brazed onto the seat stays for the horizontal arms, two M5 threads by the dropout for the vertical struts.
If you don't have the lugs on your bike, you can get a seat post clamp with rackmount but you do need the holes to bolt the vertical legs.
Good racks have sliding struts and built in spacers to adjust the height to suit your wheel and keep the vertical struts vertical.

frenchie851

Jul 1, 2020

Thanks Woosh

I am thinking about buying this but it is 2hr drive from me.
I'm just trying to figure out if I could get a rack for it because without a rack the bike would be no good for me to ride to work.

I don't know anything about the correct lugs. But looking at the frame it looks like it might be difficult to fit a rack?

What do you think?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes. The motor will get in the way.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want a rear rack then buy a ebike already with one.
Why buy a lwb bike with a behind the seat battery and the decide it's in the wrong place ?

frenchie851

Jul 1, 2020
Tricky! Depending on how high you have the saddle, you might be able to fit a beam rack like this one: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-pannier-racks/topeak-rx-beam-rack---v-type-346871.html That would limit the weight you could carry, so check its listing. If there was a quick release seat clamp and the saddle was too low to give access normally, you could release the seat post and swing it round to get access...

So a quick release saddle clamp, would that give access to slide the battery in and out?

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Very odd design, with the motor there it looks as if it is specially created to prevent use of a rack!
Checking images for 'izip ebike' on Google It looks as if it comes from 2006.
You may well have difficulty replacing the battery; and if it is the original it is probably dead or nearly dead.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi all,

I am looking at a bike where if I fit a rack it could block getting the battery in and out.

Thanks,
LEIGH
This one may work

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Woosh, do you have the internal measurements for this, my rack (non Woosh bike) has broken and I am also looking for a replacement. Can I buy this mail order?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't promise. Andy deals with this.
we have no stock until the next shipment arrives (03-Aug) and then there is a backlog...

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Hi all,

Thanks,
LEIGH
A seatpost rack with quick release might just fit depending if there is a gap with the saddle raised to your height. But still would have to be removed when you need to remove the battery unless you can get a more innovative design as suggested..
61GTDoT3bZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those rear seat tub rack things aren't designed for a heavy battery, eventually probably the clamp will give way due to vibration/fatigue.

A QR seat clamp will work but depends if the op is going to leave it for any length of time locked up somewhere ? Eventually the seat/post might get nicked then the next low life will see it as being stripped down and something else might get removed and so on.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Very odd design, with the motor there it looks as if it is specially created to prevent use of a rack!
Checking images for 'izip ebike' on Google It looks as if it comes from 2006.
You may well have difficulty replacing the battery; and if it is the original it is probably dead or nearly dead.
The Op would have at least three options, a lot of them with the Currie motor were 24v.
1. Buy another battery they are still available.
2. Get it recelled by Jimmy.
3. Buy a Silverfish battery with the fitting kit and swap them over.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Those rear seat tub rack things aren't designed for a heavy battery, eventually probably the clamp will give way due to vibration/fatigue.

I don't think the OP was asking to move their battery location, just to fit a pannier that wouldn't obstruct the removal of the battery in its current position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swizz

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The QR seat clamp could be released and the whole rack swung round 90 degrees or so with the seat post, to allow the battery to be lifted out. It'd probably need any bags taken off first, but it could be done.

Reactions: Swizz

Related Articles

Advertisers