Rechargeable heated gloves

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi. I’ve tried Sealskinz gloves. Bought for their waterproof properties to keep hands dry and warm in wet and cold weather. I’m sorry to say that for me they did not live up to expectations. That said, I recall that they come with a money back guarantee so you can try them safely.
Not the first or last I've heard about them.

D

Deleted member 33385

Not the first or last I've heard about them.

There's a generic Sealskinz-like material used on many much cheaper copycat products that I've seen somewhere or other - I wonder why nobody uses Gore-Tex? That stuff is pretty good, until it isn't.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Do report back on those, My issue is with display temps of -1, whether it is -1 or not is irrelevant, either way its too cold for long journeys and my local discount super market is closed for 5 weeks due to a refurb, so now I have to travel at least 8 mile round trip my dhb gloves work until the last 2 miles or they get wet. I might try a pair to those crab gloves.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Do report back on those, ...... I might try a pair to those crab gloves.
Its common for people to always search for THE ultimate glove. The one that keeps you totally warm and comfortable, and keeps the water totally out.
Unfortunately, there is no such glove. Anywhere.

Sure, some are a (bit) better than others, but take the waterproofing - what many experienced long distance wet weather cyclists know is that you basically need to take more than one set of gloves, and just swap the soaked ones for dry ones when the inevitable time comes.
I've started to try a version of this for the cold - I wear one set, and have another duplicate pair stuffed into the front of my jersey so my body heat keeps them warm. I rotate these two sets around every say 30 min or so. Its not as good as having heated gloves, but its better than sticking to one freezing pair all the time!

D

Deleted member 33385

Do report back on those, My issue is with display temps of -1, whether it is -1 or not is irrelevant, either way its too cold for long journeys and my local discount super market is closed for 5 weeks due to a refurb, so now I have to travel at least 8 mile round trip my dhb gloves work until the last 2 miles or they get wet. I might try a pair to those crab gloves.

Sorry I was too pissed last night to ride, but will report on their suitability for cold when it gets colder again - silk inserts may improve matters of course, as suggested earlier in this thread by nealh, and because the undersides of these gloves are leather - they may stretch from their currently quite tightish fit. I do wish these gloves were dayglow+reflective, instead of being only (a bit) reflective. I may venture out tonight when the cheap red plonk wears off, but it's neither very wet nor -1.

Let's face it - nothing but three layers of three different sizes of Marigolds+silk inserts is going to be windproof, warm and waterproof for very long. Of course your skin won't be able to breathe and will die off your hands...

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
I agree with this method , have 2 pairs of ski gloves from Aldl / Lidli , keep 1 set up the jacket and change when the cold starts biting . Just a point, they must have small hands in Germany , cos I have the largest size and no way can I get silk inners inside even tho' my hands are not that big.
Cheapo tip , carry an empty carrier bag and place across the chest under your jacket if its really nippy, I work 12 hr night shifts and this has been a real help on those seriously cold mornings, especially if you fill it with your newspaper ;)

D

Deleted member 33385

I've started to try a version of this for the cold - I wear one set, and have another duplicate pair stuffed into the front of my jersey so my body heat keeps them warm. I rotate these two sets around every say 30 min or so. Its not as good as having heated gloves, but its better than sticking to one freezing pair all the time!

That's a truly epic idea!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Cheapo tip , carry an empty carrier bag and place across the chest under your jacket if its really nippy, I work 12 hr night shifts and this has been a real help on those seriously cold mornings, especially if you fill it with your newspaper
Alternatively a sheet of bubble wrap across your chest, it’s been a recent revelation for me.
Up until a week ago I’d be wearing a long sleeved thermal base layer, sports t-shirt with a fleece front panel, soft shell jacket with extra material over the chest and to finish off a light wind proof jacket.
Even with all of those layers I’d end up with a cold chest sooner or later (probably an hour or so into my rides) Now with the bubble wrap my chest is the warmest part of my body :cool:

D

Deleted member 33385

Alternatively a sheet of bubble wrap across your chest, it’s been a recent revelation for me.

It works wonders for insulating windows too! When I lived in a flat on a busy road - 30 sheets of bubblewrap kept out nearly all the traffic noise (it's dirt cheap), although one layer was sufficient to keep the place warm.

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
The best way to keep anything warm is to keep the wind off.
Motorcyclists have been using the bar mitts for years with great results and often can wear summer gloves in the depths of winter with bar mitts to protect the hands.
I would try a pair of mitts like these as long as they have a reasonably large entry hole, for the money they are well worth a punt imho.

D

Deleted member 33385

I will, when I can cope with the lack of feel while wearing the damn things. Can't feel the brake levers...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I clearly remember suffering from cold fingers riding my motorbike even in my early 20's , so I don't think its anything like an age related circulatory issue in my case. Its just the way I am, and I'm sure some others are the same.
It seems like you have mild Raynauds syndrome, something I've always suffered from asnd it's quite a common condition.

Plenty of information on this link and elsewhere online.

• Useful
Reactions: GLJoe

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
It seems like you have mild Raynauds syndrome, something I've always suffered from asnd it's quite a common condition.

I’ve got Reynauds, it doesn’t take a lot to set it off, even taking a bottle of milk out of the fridge can trigger it.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK

Hmmm. Thanks for the link. Its prompted me to look into it a little bit more (I confess I've never really given it much though at all in the past! just accepted it as 'one of those things')
The more I'm learning about things like this though, the more I'm coming around to realise that things modern society accepts as 'normal' might indeed be 'normal' (or at least not uncommon) however it doesn't mean its natural and the way things should be.
I didn't realise that they suspect Raynauds can often be caused by an autoimmune issue. I'm now pretty certain I've had issues with either wheat or dairy from an early age, I just didn't realise it. Hmmmm ....

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I found heated grips on a motorbike made a huge difference in winter, a quick search for 36v versions found:

Halfrauds 2019 Carrera has them, available as an aftermarke kit "next winter" (ie 2020) https://www.pinkbike.com/news/carrera-release-new-bike-with-heated-grips.html

D

Deleted member 33385

I found heated grips on a motorbike made a huge difference in winter, a quick search for 36v versions found:

Halfrauds 2019 Carrera has them, available as an aftermarke kit "next winter" (ie 2020) https://www.pinkbike.com/news/carrera-release-new-bike-with-heated-grips.html

Very interesting! I'll see how many 18650s I can fit inside my handlebars - looks like about 4 either side. Fixing the heating pads under the grips would be tricky - I'd have to hollow them out a little, then waterproof the heating pads. Maybe they won't burst into flames.

Last edited:

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Heated grips are great at keeping the inside of your hands warm but less so the outside. The solution on a motorcycle is to turn up the power but this would be more difficult on a bicycle. I still think handlebar muffs would be good solution.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
^ good point by @cannon - keeping the windchill off your hands is a big help, either muffs or good winter gloves.

A lot has changed since I was last looking, gloves are now available with gel heatpads, usb powered (from ebike battery or portable powerbank), etc choices https://www.amazon.com/heated-motorcycle-gloves/s?k=heated+motorcycle+gloves

usb gloves are a new option, £30 is worth a gamble? https://www.amazon.com/Shaboo-Prints-Warmers-Heating-Thermal/dp/B08D3VM1SJ/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=heated+motorcycle+gloves&qid=1613782698&sr=8-29

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Mittens... Always mittens. . Providing there this enough play to get to the brake handle. Gloves are a bad idea. Its true for fingers as it was for Brexit .. we are stronger together. High quality fine leather gloves are the worst ..maybe even worse than no gloves.