Recommended Dealers

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
I was very disappointed when the sticky "Complaints" thread was removed, it allowed both sides to score points, feints, dodges and we had ringside seats.

In its place might I suggest a sticky "Recommended Dealers" thread and I would like to start it off.

Electric Cycles from the Electric Cycle Company in Edinburgh, Scotland

For me it had been a long wearing journey so perhaps I got special treatment but I doubt it.
"Tea or coffee? A home made scone?" A truly Scottish welcome.
I had come to test an Easy Glider @ £1599 and 28kg, but because of my health and needing to lift the bike up 4 steps I was advised to try the Gitane @ £1249 and 22kg.
Extensive test rides on both, pros and cons freely discussed and I was advised to take the cheaper bike home for the weekend to try it where I would use it. I did not ask if this considerable concession was due to me being disabled. They have other business interests using their own transport and so arranged collection after the weekend.
The Gitane would be in stock at the suppliers in a fortnight but I was already having withdrawal symptoms and rather unreasonably asked if they could search around and find one for me, they did and it was delivered.
In general discussion I mentioned long lead times and deposits, "Not a way we would do business, most of our advertising is by satisfied customers so we want more satisfied customers".

Freemans Cycles bike parts shop UK | Cheap Mountain bikes, Touring bikes, Racing bikes

Before I bought the Gitane I felt that the there was a possibility that I might not have the stamina to maintain the proper cadence to remain in top gear for long periods and sought information from an acknowledged Hub Gear Expert. Mr Richard Freeman spent considerable time assuring me that the Nexus Auto-D used a standard 3 speed hub which would readily accept a standard Nexus Revoshift rotary handlebar shifter. Should I wish to order one at some time in the future the shifter with clickbox and cable would cost £11.99, P&P £2.75 and yes they keep them in stock.
A patient man with great knowledge.

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One possible way to handle this would be a repeat of the Members Map, but with the recommended dealers entered instead. The comments box would allow a few words about each one and the person recommending.

Then anyone could look at the map in their area and see the e-bike friendly dealers handy for them, clicking on each one for some details. That could conceivably have a link to more details.

The problem with a thread is that as it grew it would be impossible to find one in the appropriate area without reading the entire thread.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Flecc,

A first class idea, altogether far better than a thread, and more than I had hoped for.

Would you be willing to start the ball rolling, in ignorance I have no idea who to contact.

Thank you

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll have to find out how to create it Dave. Django is the expert on that, but I'll check out the idea with Russ our administrator first for his approval.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
The current map could be extended to include this if people wanted it to be. I have temporarily added the Electric Cycle Company in Edinburgh (not in exactly the right place) so that you can see what is possible. The map description could be updated to show that dealers are included.

There are obvious dangers in doing this though!

Any thoughts?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It might get very cluttered, though a different icon can be used for dealers of course. On balance I think a separate map would be best if it's just for UK dealers, since the members map is international.

We'd need a thread for people to suggest dealers for entry, but I suppose that could be separate while still using the same map. We'll see what others feel about this.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having a look at that dealer entry, I think it's best if the text is restricted to basics, since manipulation of the map is difficult at low screen resolutions with such a large text box overlapping the edges of the box.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I think the same map could be utilised without too much confusion. I think one which only contains member recommendations would be bit difficult. one persons excellent experience is always mirrored by anothers disappointment as we have all found. better to just say here are the dealers and perhaps make a note of what they sell and whether its a service centre. traditional bike shops should also be included as many will have worked on our bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True Paul, so basically the same location map with added shops which deal in e-bikes and/or are willing to work on them, but I think best restricted to those where someone has recommended that one. Otherwise it could just duplicate the dealer location pages on e-bike sites like Powabyke's and Giant's.

The text box could just contain the e-bike brand(s) represented and the recommending member.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I agree with you both and feel that a basic where and who would be a good addition to the map. Of course that does leave Dave's original disappointment at losing the sticky intact and the 'recommended' part will also disappear. But, I agree, as far as the map is concerned that may be no bad thing.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
"Good News Page"

Gentlemen,

There have in the past been numerous accusations that this site is dealer driven and members have been forced into the unwarranted and unenviable position of having to defend themselves.
Traders have in the past entertained us with a ferocious diatribe of (actionable?) accusations against each other but these were excised.
One member who complained 'too regularly' of his treatment by a trader was barred.
The "Complaints" thread was terminated.
At this time we have active threads which contain outright complaints and complaints by innuendo; for fear of punitive action?
We have one new member who ordered before researching and is now querying his choice.

Can we not have one "Good News" page where ONLY good trading practice can be reported and let those with complaints start threads of their own as is currently permitted?

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like we could go ahead then Django. We'd need a new sticky thread for dealer entries and use the green building icon that you've started with.

Would we just leave all the dealers at the foot of the list in any order, since members would locate them from the map location rather than the list?

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
If we are to have reccomended dealers,are we also going to have a list of dealers to avoid, which have caused members problems, perhaps if there were five or more serious complaints against a dealer from different members, they could go on the avoid list.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
If we are to have reccomended dealers,are we also going to have a list of dealers to avoid, which have caused members problems, perhaps if there were five or more serious complaints against a dealer from different members, they could go on the avoid list.
Indeed, and that is the problem I alluded to earlier. I am very wary of putting anything negative on the map. Its primary function is simply to give locations of members (which could be extended to dealers) rather than advice on who is good or bad.

To illustrate, there is one particular company who, in my experience, have been entirely hopeless in terms of their customer service and there are many more than four others who feel the same way. Nevertheless, I am sure there are still others with nothing but praise for the same company. Which list should they go on? Both? And would those members who disagree with the decision then pull their own names from the map in protest? I think that the potential for serious friction is too great and I, for one, do not really want to be making the decisions as to who goes where.

That being said there is no reason whatsoever why someone else shouldn't start up a new map with that purpose in mind. In fact I think it would be a good idea.

Looks like we could go ahead then Django. We'd need a new sticky thread for dealer entries and use the green building icon that you've started with.

Would we just leave all the dealers at the foot of the list in any order, since members would locate them from the map location rather than the list?
Sounds good to me Flecc. That makes sense.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OK Django, I'll contact Russ and ask his approval for a new sticky thread.

I think we'd need members to give the proper dealer title and any e-bike agency they have when nominating so those can go into the text boxes.

Would the address be necessary, or would that be left for anyone to look up locally, no great hardship?

Last edited: