Help! Replacement 36v battery for a Giant Suede

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
It's on the throttle connector, probably next to the red and black wires.
The only thing is I bought a new throttle thinking it would fix the situation but it's not working just the same so I don't think the actual throttle s at fault so won't it be more something happening between the control box and the motor

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only thing is I bought a new throttle thinking it would fix the situation but it's not working just the same so I don't think the actual throttle s at fault so won't it be more something happening between the control box and the motor
Test it, then you'll know.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It won't affect the connection adversely, though some sparking is occurring hence the blackening, it could be connection/disconnection causing it or just a loose connection when connected. One can tighten any loose contact by very gently crimping the open contact so any fit is that bit tighter.

Connector are available on ebay but will need soldering or simply solder the wires direct if the battery sits in a cradle/holder.
Dean's, Anderson, XT are among some of the common ones used, ideally something rated for about 30amps or more.

Reactions: mikeconnect

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I'm not sure because I don't fully understand what your throttle problem is. you should check the voltage on the signal wire when you twist the throttle. That'll tell you if it's working properly. Should go 1.2v to 3.8v approx.
Just tested . As I expected it works ok because as I told I bought a new throttle and that didn't fix the problem therefore it's not the throttle . I guess something between control box and motor or the actual control box ?? Anyway it's getting put together . I'm not messing with control box . Can live without throttle . Maybe winter may look at it

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Sorry I didn't learn electronics so I'm pestering you all. On my 36v 10ah battery if it's at a low level after usage will the multimeter voltage test still show 36v(well actually 37.6) ?
I'm unsure whether the traffic light led battery indicator on my throttle is accurate. After a ride it's down to red led on drive and amber on freewheel. Maybe I need to run it to empty to establish range ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry I didn't learn electronics so I'm pestering you all. On my 36v 10ah battery if it's at a low level after usage will the multimeter voltage test still show 36v(well actually 37.6) ?
I'm unsure whether the traffic light led battery indicator on my throttle is accurate. After a ride it's down to red led on drive and amber on freewheel. Maybe I need to run it to empty to establish range ?
Yes, the battery when fully charged will show 42 volts, which will decline as you use the content. Eventually at about 32 volts the power will cut out.

Battery LED meters aren't accurate, as you've found they read according to whether power is being used or not. Use power and the reading drops.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Yes, the battery when fully charged will show 42 volts, which will decline as you use the content. Eventually at about 32 volts the power will cut out.

Battery LED meters aren't accurate, as you've found they read according to whether power is being used or not. Use power and the reading drops.
Gotcha . So I guess I can't relate 42v fully charged And 37v part charged to the battery led indicators . And guess I can't say 42v Is full , 32v is empty ,so 37v Is half empty .. I guess that means I run till it stops to find range .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Gotcha . So I guess I can't relate 42v fully charged And 37v part charged to the battery led indicators . And guess I can't say 42v Is full , 32v is empty ,so 37v Is half empty .. I guess that means I run till it stops to find range .
There is a relationship between voltage (and therefore the LED readout) and content/range, but it's not very linear. For most of us it's a matter of getting used to what our bikes are capable of and riding within that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Although not adept at electronics one can easily wire in a simple 2 wire voltage gauge to read, any where on the bike. One wire to battery/controller Red and one wire to the Black.

My new diy battery is 44v and as expected the dual voltage lcd doesn't know if the battery is 36v or 48v so the battery bar indicator is highly inaccurate, I have no idea of usage. I the end I fitted a very cheap voltage readout to the under bag that houses the controller, I now have a vague idea of voltage.
I use the word vague as the cheap China display was only about 70p and the read out isn't calibrated very well, it reads out on every voltage I have tried by + 1.4v.
My fully battery should read 50.4v but reads 51.8v so as long as I remember to subtract the over read I am able to know when it will run out.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you take power from a battery, the voltage drops a bit (sag). The amount of drop is proportional to the amount of current (power) you take from it. It's a basic law of electricity called Ohm's law, where you get a voltage drop in any conductor proportional to the conductor's resistance, so voltage drop = current x battery internal resistance. Crappy batteries have a high internal resistance, so you see a bigger voltage drop.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
When you take power from a battery, the voltage drops a bit (sag). The amount of drop is proportional to the amount of current (power) you take from it. It's a basic law of electricity called Ohm's law, where you get a voltage drop in any conductor proportional to the conductor's resistance, so voltage drop = current x battery internal resistance. Crappy batteries have a high internal resistance, so you see a bigger voltage drop.
Yes well this battery being 360 wh it quotes on web about 18 -20 miles range. Not much for you guys but it works for me. I think maybe the led indicator goes to red a bit quickly irrespective of how much juice is left in it . but anyway I've done 10 miles yesterday 4 this afternoon and I'm going out now to see how much more it's got left. Considering the full pelt power guzzling properties of the voilamart , I'll be happy to reach 18 miles

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Yes well this battery being 360 wh it quotes on web about 18 -20 miles range. Not much for you guys but it works for me. I think maybe the led indicator goes to red a bit quickly irrespective of how much juice is left in it . but anyway I've done 10 miles yesterday 4 this afternoon and I'm going out now to see how much more it's got left. Considering the full pelt power guzzling properties of the voilamart , I'll be happy to reach 18 miles
Another 7 miles tonight total 21 miles so far and still something left in New battery even though led on red last 2 days. Can't see me charging this more than twice a week so hoping degradation will be slow .
I'm possibly over reporting here . It's just that it's an Aerdu battery which don't have favourable reports if bought on Ali express. But this uk seller assured me that this battery won't be like an "Ali " one . Let u know now and then how it's going as time passes

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Does that mean that the battery voltage reading after use directly relates to how much is left in it ?
Example if I did 21 miles from full (42), and it now shows 35, is that 7/10 of the available power used ?
42-35 =7. That would mean I could get 30 miles in total from one charge .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does that mean that the battery voltage reading after use directly relates to how much is left in it ?
Example if I did 21 miles from full (42), and it now shows 35, is that 7/10 of the available power used ?
42-35 =7. That would mean I could get 30 miles in total from one charge .
Not necessarily, the system is not that linear, each LED can mean a different number of miles. Remember that as the voltage falls, so does the performance.

And of course as a power assist system, much depends on what you are putting in. If after the 21 miles you are tiring so putting in less, the combination could mean even less remaining.

These LED meters are only a rough guide at best, not mathematically linear.