Help! Replacement 36v battery for a Giant Suede

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
...in which case, it's may be worth a try. You just need to find a cheap little strong spoke speedometer magnet from somewhere, put the second magnet at the oppsite side of the wheel of the one that's already installed, and hope your bike slows down to half speed when assisting...
Not sure what that is . Any links plz ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok thanks Mike, you are stuck with what you have for now. Cheap stuff is very limiting with very poor control use for the end user.
One reason why we always push folks to use KT with 5 power levels, a little more pricey but ever so much more user friendly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't suppose you can remove some of the magnets on the pedal sensor wheel ???
No that will just give poor signal response and a harsher on /off pick up (stuttering ride) if it worked at all.

D

Deleted member 33385

Not sure what that is . Any links plz ?
I have no idea what magnets you have, you'd just have to try a cheapo or two, if you think it's worth the effort for getting possible less assistance:

...and if the spacing isn't exact, it could simply confuse your bike and give you a strange ride...

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Ok thanks Mike, you are stuck with what you have for now. Cheap stuff is very limiting with very poor control use for the end user.
One reason why we always push folks to use KT with 5 power levels, a little more pricey but ever so much more user friendly.
Yes I appreciate that Nealh but it's a cheap bike i've just bought a new but not the best battery. I'm not a heavy user so I'm hoping it will give me what I want for some time. I'll make do and keep everybody posted ref performance of this battery. Anyway a lot of my routes are level so I switch off power where I can until my angina kicks in ha

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I have no idea what magnets you have, you'd just have to try a cheapo or two, if you think it's worth the effort for getting possible less assistance:

...and if the spacing isn't exact, it could simply confuse your bike and give you a strange ride...
I misunderstood you I thought you meant pedal sensor. But I think that the motor has magnets I'll investigate if it's cheap enough and easy to try I'll try it otherwise I'll make do with what I've got thanks anyway

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I had a feeling that you'd bought an "Aorta" battery for good reason!
Haha yes I chuckled when you called it an aorta battery quite apt but let's get to the heart of the matter it's an Aerdu (not aliexpress) battery . Check my previous post on why I'm trying this battery. The reseller who seems the know quite a lot technically assures me it's not the same as buying an Aerdu from Ali. I'll take a chancev we'll see I'll keep you posted

D

Deleted member 33385

I misunderstood you I thought you meant pedal sensor. But I think that the motor has magnets I'll investigate if it's cheap enough and easy to try I'll try it otherwise I'll make do with what I've got thanks anyway
It'd be a waste of time if your speed sensor magnets are in the motor and not the back/front wheel.

D

Deleted member 33385

Haha yes I chuckled when you called it an aorta battery quite apt but let's get to the heart of the matter it's an Aerdu (not aliexpress) battery . Check my previous post on why I'm trying this battery. The reseller who seems the know quite a lot technically assures me it's not the same as buying an Aerdu from Ali. I'll take a chancev we'll see I'll keep you posted

A good sense of humour is good for the old ticker, so they say.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The cheapest kits have the cheapest controllers. The cheapest controllers lack features that you get on the more expensive ones. Your controller simply doesn't have the feature to control speed or power with the pedal sensor. It's an on/off switch that works on the basis of pulsing from the pedal sensor or not. The speed of the pulses has no influence. Changing magnets won't do a thing about it, so don't waste your time. The only thing you can do with what you have is over-ride the pedal sensor by using the throttle. Normally, the throttle takes precedence, so you can reduce the assistance speed by using the throttle position, but you can't change the power on take off.

There are various ways to make a cruise control to keep the throttle at a constant intermediate level, then use the brakes to stop and start the power when you want to slow down.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The cheapest kits have the cheapest controllers. The cheapest controllers lack features that you get on the more expensive ones. Your controller simply doesn't have the feature to control speed or power with the pedal sensor. It's an on/off switch that works on the basis of pulsing from the pedal sensor or not. The speed of the pulses has no influence. Changing magnets won't do a thing about it, so don't waste your time. The only thing you can do with what you have is over-ride the pedal sensor by using the throttle. Normally, the throttle takes precedence, so you can reduce the assistance speed by using the throttle position, but you can't change the power on take off.

There are various ways to make a cruise control to keep the throttle at a constant intermediate level, then use the brakes to stop and start the power when you want to slow down.
Gotcha but would that work considering the throttles not working properly

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Gotcha but would that work considering the throttles not working properly
I'm not sure because I don't fully understand what your throttle problem is. you should check the voltage on the signal wire when you twist the throttle. That'll tell you if it's working properly. Should go 1.2v to 3.8v approx.

D

Deleted member 33385

360wh in my world is about 40 miles range, I am a PAS 1 user which adequate for my needs of taking the effort to aid my asthma. My asthma is worsened by exertion though not too bad riding a bike.
Everyone's usage is different so it is impossible to give a figure.

As rule a regular cyclist (not a club sport cyclist) should be able to manage 10 -12 wh per mile in lowest assist, the more aerodynamical one is then the rate can be lower.
An electric bent/trike tadpole could lower that to sub 10wh.

Do you pee while riding, like in Tour De France, or do you stop? A friend competed in that many years ago, peed down his leg while riding, ate a lot of bananas.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I'm not sure because I don't fully understand what your throttle problem is. you should check the voltage on the signal wire when you twist the throttle. That'll tell you if it's working properly. Should go 1.2v to 3.8v approx.
Is signal wire one of the 6 on throttle or is it one coming out from control to motor