Replacement key for battery …

SandySpaniel

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2021
Hi , first post here.
I have a Pendleton Somerby electric bike and I’ve lost the key for the battery, which is not charging up. Does anyone here know how hard it is to get replacement keys so that I can remove the battery and replace it please ?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
IIRC, older Pendletons with the Phylion battery were supplied with 4 keys. If you lost all of them, you were snookered.

Newer Pendletons with Battle batteries come with 2 numbered keys. Halfords can order you replacements if you know what the serial number is. If you don't, you're again snookered.

Drilling or picking the lock is an option.

Reactions: SandySpaniel

SandySpaniel

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2021
IIRC, older Pendletons with the Phylion battery were supplied with 4 keys. If you lost all of them, you were snookered.

Newer Pendletons with Battle batteries come with 2 numbered keys. Halfords can order you replacements if you know what the serial number is. If you don't, you're again snookered.

Drilling or picking the lock is an option.
Thanks , so is Pendleton an actual firm or is this just a brand sold by Halfords ? I can’t believe I’ve not put these keys safe, especially as it’s a Phylion battery ( I’m assuming as it’s a Phylion charger ) and you’re saying I would have had 4 …..

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Pendleton is a Halfords own-brand, named/under licence after Victoria Pendleton, the Olympics track cyclist twice Gold (and a Silver) medal winner.

Yes, you would have had 4 keys: They're not marked/numbered so cannot be replaced. As a rule, I always tie/ring one key to the charger lead so at least one key never gets lost.

EDIT: This is what your Phylion Battery Keys likely look like... if you want to have a rummage around your kitchen drawer/garage to see if you can find them:

Phylion Ebike Keys.JPG

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi , first post here.
I have a Pendleton Somerby electric bike and I’ve lost the key for the battery, which is not charging up. Does anyone here know how hard it is to get replacement keys so that I can remove the battery and replace it please ?
Sad!
If you eventually require some help with picking the lock, I should be able to assist.
Or if you decide to drill it out, do not start without proper help, as it is easy to make it even worse, if you drill in the wrong place.
Take a closeup of the key slot, with a clear picture on here, if that's the way you need to go, and wait for my answer. Which will be with a marked version of your picture, to show exactly where to drill.
Your choice either way.
regards
Andy

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I asked a similar question in this thread https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/lost-keys-what-can-be-done.38980/

On a recommendation in that thread I got this jiggler key set which worked perfectly to unlock the battery from the bikehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Lock-Jiggler-keys-piece-set/dp/B00HZIP190/ref=pd_lpo_60_t_0/261-7902289-9724634?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HZIP190&pd_rd_r=c1602185-2078-4f8a-ac95-18c1091c5dc3&pd_rd_w=14F7b&pd_rd_wg=DRRUe&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=5F6KD2VSFHGQCJHD4371&psc=1&refRID=5F6KD2VSFHGQCJHD4371
Of the sets of jiggler keys, small, medium, large, which set opened the battery lock ?

How long did it take to unlock ?

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Of the sets of jiggler keys, small, medium, large, which set opened the battery lock ?

I don't recall which size but I just picked one that looked about right. It took literally seconds to open the lock.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

Don't forget to order and install a replacement lock with new keys!
Plus, if you take the old one to a good DIY store, they may be able to supply a new replacement for very little money!
regards
Andy

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Don't forget to order and install a replacement lock with new keys!
Plus, if you take the old one to a good DIY store, they may be able to supply a new replacement for very little money!
regards
Andy
No particular need to order a replacement lock in advance, I have two batteries.

Just thinking ahead, if the keys are lost and the battery is still on the bike, it would be a good plan to already have jiggler keys to get the battery off without resorting to drilling or waiting for a jiggler set to arrive.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
No particular need to order a replacement lock in advance, I have two batteries.

Just thinking ahead, if the keys are lost and the battery is still on the bike, it would be a good plan to already have jiggler keys to get the battery off without resorting to drilling or waiting for a jiggler set to arrive.
It is even better, especially as I understand FOUR KEYS ARE SUPPLIED WITH EACH BATTERY, to take FAR better care of the said battery keys.....
On my batteries (2), I ONLY got two keys per battery! Still have both, and I have made two sets of keys for my bike, including the original alarm remote, and a copy which I made myself (dead easy!).
I am not saying how clever I am, because I see this as "normal practice" for keys, any keys for anything, car, house or e-bike.....
After I retired in 2006, I had a long holiday, but got bored, so in 2007 I worked as a locksmith for a company, learned a lot, but I found the work at best "Immoral". So after I had picked up all the tricks of the trade (bloody simple!), I resigned. But I still work for friends and family when needed......
You would be amazed just how many people lose keys to their property each and every day, or lock themselves out! And almost any idiot with a piece of plastic, can open the door in 10 seconds......it is worryingly easy!! I can literally, with both eyes closed, at 75, still open a door in less than 30 seconds......
regards
Andy

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
After I retired in 2006, I had a long holiday, but got bored, so in 2007 I worked as a locksmith for a company, learned a lot, but I found the work at best "Immoral". So after I had picked up all the tricks of the trade (bloody simple!), I resigned.
Did you get pressured to participate in burglaries, safe cracking? What "Immoral" work did you end up doing? Was it easy to resign, or was it like the mafia ie "In" for life?

I can literally, with both eyes closed, at 75, still open a door in less than 30 seconds......
That's horrifying Andy, and impressive!

Reactions: Tony1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It is even better, especially as I understand FOUR KEYS ARE SUPPLIED WITH EACH BATTERY, to take FAR better care of the said battery keys.....
On my batteries (2), I ONLY got two keys per battery! Still have both, and I have made two sets of keys for my bike, including the original alarm remote, and a copy which I made myself (dead easy!).
I am not saying how clever I am, because I see this as "normal practice" for keys, any keys for anything, car, house or e-bike.....
After I retired in 2006, I had a long holiday, but got bored, so in 2007 I worked as a locksmith for a company, learned a lot, but I found the work at best "Immoral". So after I had picked up all the tricks of the trade (bloody simple!), I resigned. But I still work for friends and family when needed......
You would be amazed just how many people lose keys to their property each and every day, or lock themselves out! And almost any idiot with a piece of plastic, can open the door in 10 seconds......it is worryingly easy!! I can literally, with both eyes closed, at 75, still open a door in less than 30 seconds......
regards
Andy
I hate the fact that most locks are easy to sabotage (I won't say how, on an open forum). If you wanted some extra income in retirement, just do that to every lock on your street, having leafleted them a couple of weeks before, advertising your locksmith skills. Immoral.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Did you get pressured to participate in burglaries, safe cracking? What "Immoral" work did you end up doing? Was it easy to resign, or was it like the mafia ie "In" for life?
Two reasons why its immoral, nothing to do with "illegal", although the way some people have done the job, they have ended up behind bars or heavily fined:-
1) The huge amounts charged for very simple work, that we had to do as slowly as possible, making it look complicated to the customer and
2) As the "worker", my share was pitiful......
That's horrifying Andy, and impressive!
It is a really simple job, with the right teacher, almost anyone can do the work within a day or two.
Acting ability is probably more important really!!!
Just so you know, I have completely ignored your sarcasm, to give an honest answer for both you and anyone else here on Pedelec, OK?
If you did not intend to be sarcastic, you make a poor job of writing your comments (that's my sarcasm back at you! ;) ;) :p:D)
regards and have a great day
Andy

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just so you know, I have completely ignored your sarcasm, to give an honest answer for both you and anyone else here on Pedelec, OK?
If you did not intend to be sarcastic, you make a poor job of writing your comments (that's my sarcasm back at you! ;) ;) :p:D)
regards and have a great day
Andy
I wasn't being sarcastic Andy! I really do think your locksmith skills - defeatng any lock within 30 seconds - are both impressive AND horrifying! :):eek:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I wasn't being sarcastic Andy! I really do think your locksmith skills - defeatng any lock within 30 seconds - are both impressive AND horrifying! :):eek:
I didn't say "any Lock", I said opening a door......major difference!
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Andy
Thats why I said it, as YouTube has educated many crooks in how to get to your valuables via the front (and the back) door.
Even when the door was double locked, electric Picks can get you in, in under a minute in most cases, though some experience, practice and knowledge are needed first.
For most front doors, where the wind shut the door for instance, a small plastic Coke bottle, with the top and bottom removed and the rest cut down one side, will push back the tongue/bolt perfectly......But knowing where that bolt is located, is the problem for many amateurs when the door is closed....
Large Coke bottles are too thin and bendy.
The Locksmith's own tool is a special flat plastic, in several thicknesses, called a card.
Credit and Bank cards will usually break and not open the door. If they work, the gap between the door and the frame is far too large, as they are simply too stiff for a proper fitting door.
regards
Andy

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Andy
Aha! The FBI Master Key, emulated by boots on kicking legs all over the world.