retro fitting throttle to new e bikes

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
I have been riding an old Powacycle Cambridge bike which has a throttle fitted, which is extremely useful for me as I suffer with bad Emphysema and have very limited lungs. The ability to be able to start off from standstill, using the throttle, and then gently start to pedal once enough momentum has been established means I can manage to get a small but important amount of exercise and I love riding the bike as it hugely expands my horizons.

Now I am so enthusiastic about ebikes, I am now prepared to buy a new bike, Something along the lines of the
Carrera Vengeance E Mens Electric Bike

or the
Haibike SDURO Trekking 6.0 2019 Mens Electric Trekking Bike 52cm

or the Cube Acid Hybrid One 2020

Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 Bosch

Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 BoschCube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020 Bosch
Range

Range
30 - 140 Power
Assisted Miles*
Motor

Motor
Bosch 250w Crank
Drive G3 Performance
Battery

Battery
Bosch 500Wh
PowerPack 36v
Speed

Speed
Electric Assistance
up to 15 mph
Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 2020

My question is can a throttle easily be retro fitted to the controller circuitry ( plug and play)
to enable me to use bike in the same way as I have been riding my previous bike. I am a retired electrician so if it is possible I'm sure I have the competance to perform the work required.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Even if you could fit a throttle it would void any warranty you would have with the new ebike, maybe best to consider a top end bike and conversion kit, if anything goes wrong with the bike per say, just remove the kit and technically it would still be under warranty assuming the kit did not cause the fault, and you can make sure you get a throttle that way.

Reactions: crystaljohn

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Don't think you can on the Bosch system, their stuff is all tied down.
As PC2017 says, get yourself a kit. Plug and play, all generic parts so easily replaceable should anything go awry. And you'll know your bike well by the finish.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Only mid drive kits can give you throttle option so rules out OEM Bosch, Yamaha & Shimano etc,etc.

• Useful

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Only mid drive kits can give you throttle option so rules out OEM Bosch, Yamaha & Shimano etc,etc.
Do any of these feature what I would call a "walk" function that can be used to lift the speed up from zero to the 6 km/h allowed, or then again is that in someway inhibited if the system senses the rider is actually onboard?

• Useful

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Look on oxygen web site I’ve bought myself a mtb and the wife a trail type awesome and you can fit thumb throttles if needed

• Useful

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
I would suggest that with your condition you require a bike with a cadence sensor not a torque sensor. The bikes you have listed require you to input significant power yourself to get assistance. The new Wisper wayfarer available in June will have a throttle & is available with a cadence sensor.

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
I would suggest that with your condition you require a bike with a cadence sensor not a torque sensor. The bikes you have listed require you to input significant power yourself to get assistance. The new Wisper wayfarer available in June will have a throttle & is available with a cadence sensor.

That's very useful information Audio2. I really don't have the ability to input significant power unfortunately, which is why my old 'Powacycle Cambridge' bike was just so practical for me . I could take off smoothly in perfect control using the throttle, and then feed in what pedal power I was able to at my leisure. This was particularly useful when pulling out of junctions for example, and made for a safe transition from stationary to blending in with the traffic flow.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Clarifying after having misread this myself.
Many hub kits have throttle option. If you want mid-drive then a kit is your only option.

If it hadn't been Nealh posting I would just have challenged it as rubbish based on my misreading; as it was I read it a second and a third time and realized what he meant.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes if the controller allows it and has the after option of adding a throttle then any hub motor bike can use a throttle, my main reply was because of the OP's posting of the two latter bikes with Canbus mid drive systems. Though the Carrera is hub drive it uses the awful Suntour Torque system and doesn't allow for throttle retrofit.

All controller options with throttle will allow the walk assist mode as default, you will have to delve into the basic or advanced controller parameter settings to enable full throttle use. The KT 100% allow pedal first option or twist and go by a setting change.

The cadence PAS will benefit more so then the multiplying torque PAS system if leg input is required as in general you only need to ghost pedal for PAS to react, so minimum effort can be used.

• Useful

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
John's budget is good as he is looking at the OEM mid drive range for his budget so quite a few bikes might suit him, although he is looking at mtb style I wouldn't rule out a 700c hybrid type that might accommodate wider tyres or possibly convert a bike using one of Woosh's lower rpm wound high torque hub motor kits, one of these hubs will make better sense with it's pure low speed grunt for any hills or any minor incline where the user has limited ability whether health or disability related.

The high torque hub shouldn't be confused with a torque sensor PAS system as both are chalk and cheese and different in their terms.

• Useful

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
Thank you all so much for your detailed informative replies. I have now eliminated the 3 bikes I had an interest in, as I now understand they require significant power input via the crank to activate the motor assistance, so wouldn't be the most suitable for me .
I do like the look of the Whisper Wayfarer mentioned by Audio2. Can anyone advise if it would be more suitable for me to choose the mid drive , or would the hub drive with the Cadence sensor as opposed to the torque sensor still be suitable for me. The primary requirement for my situation is that the bike has a throttle that I can use to take off from a standing start.

* The mid drive option is an extra £700!

Reactions: Steve S

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Useful

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
I would think the rear hub motor with cadence sensor would best suit you. Why don’t you contact David of Wisper Bikes who is a trade member of the forum & appears to be very helpful & approachable. You could phone or email him, I am sure he would be happy to give you advice.

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
I would think the rear hub motor with cadence sensor would best suit you. Why don’t you contact David of Wisper Bikes who is a trade member of the forum & appears to be very helpful & approachable. You could phone or email him, I am sure he would be happy to give you advice.
Thanks Audio2 . that sounds like a good idea. Do you know where I can find David's contact info please?

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
I spoke to David Miall today who was very helpful. He advised that the Hub drive would be perfectly suitable for my requirements. There is a delay with the parts arriving , and the bikes are now being assembled in Portugal, should be ready sometime in July!

* Apologies for the italics, I can't seem to get rid of them- any advice on how to do so welcome.