S-Cross Central Display Oxygen ebike.

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
Hopefully this isn’t serious but the controller shuts off mid ride. Is this serious or can I reset the controller?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you mean the display ?
If so how old is the battery ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A decent answer about the display would help !!!
If it (the display) turns off then then the power has been disrupted, either the connection from battery to display is interrupted or more likely the battery is knackered.
Under what circumstances does the bike turn off, some details of terrain and power levels used.

Last edited:

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
This LINK may help... page 11 states "The display panel will go into sleep mode when the speed is 0 Km/h for 5 minutes"
Is the display backlight On/Off?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The op isn't helping at all with any useful answers.
As the issue appears whilst the bike is being ridden then the mostly likely problem is the battery is knackered or on it is way to being so.

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
So it’s happening when the bike is stood in my kitchen. It did it this morning riding along flat road You can almost time it to 5 minutes It’s a mk1 s cross. I don’t know the age of the bike as it was acquired of Facebook. The voltage is showing but not the speed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So ok, now you are saying no speed reading when riding. The info needed at the beginning of the thread.
The motor would need opening to check for the magnet missing issue or find the main controller wiring to look and see if it can be tested.
Adding an exterior wheel speed sensor may work if the wiring or controller are accessible.
It means a bit of spanner work and a use of a multi meter.

Last edited:

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
So ok, now you are saying no speed reading when riding.
The motor would need opening to check for the magnet missing issue or find the main controller wiring to look and see if it can be tested.
Adding an exterior wheel speed sensor may work if the wiring or controller are accessible.
Sorry about the inadequacy in my replies but I find it hard to articulate. Where would I get an exterior wheel sensor and am really loath to mess with the motor as knowing my luck I would touch summat wrong and then I would be on the moon. Lol

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You will need to locate the controller to check wiring and carry out any sort of repair, so that's your starting point. I believe it is located in the frame under the battery holder. Unglued speed sensor magnet is a fairly common fault on this bike model.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With any ebike esp hub bikes and old bikes there are very few LBS who will touch one let alone know what to do.
Unfortunately the knowledge base amongst LBS is very poor when it comes to ebikes so the user in most cases are left to there own devices, the best LBS's tend to be forum's like this where self repair is one of the top issues.Even the major brands are lacking once the 2 year warranty has finished unless one has deep pockets.

In the Oxygen as you have now realised the hub has a Hall sensor to sense speed and needs the magnet to register the sensing of the Hall. One has no choice but to test the Hall is working or carries the 5v it needs to work and to also open the hub motor to check for the magnet positioning. Without this basic function then as seen the display has no signal to send to the motor after 5 minutes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The speed magnet is a simple one to find as it is held in place on the face cover of the motor, so all one needs to do is remove the cassette gears ( 2min job ) with the wheel out of the bike and undo the 6 face covering screws on the hub motor. The magnet should be located in a small housing/recess on the inside of the cover, if missing or found loose glue back in place with araldite.
The option of adding an external sensor needs some soldering skills and as WP & I have mentioned finding and exposing the controller is required.
Ebikes not working means one has to delve in to the world of self mend & repair.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As WP has said, it is likely to be found stuck to the motor side plate as the magnetism will hold it and it has become dislodged.
Magnets can be come demagnetised by excess heat, epoxy glue may have just softened a little to cause the dislodging or the set epoxy may have just failed and sheered off.
One has two options open the hub to see if this is the case and solve the issue or get more involved and wire up a new exterior sensor.
The latter issue issue of an exterior sensor is likely if the internal Hall sensor has failed, one will only know if the Hall has failed by wire testing with a meter.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Earlier in the thread I mentioned the battery as an issue as we had little facts of the cause, with an old bike one assumes the battery when vague postings as to why are given.
The riding issue and shut down with no speed read out gives more info and a possible fault. A motionless bike gives no fault reason as all my bikes will turn off after 5 mins of inactivity or no speed readout.

Reactions: Leedspete