Shetland woman looking to find my perfect Ebike, Need Help Please!

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks d8veh I will be sure to ask about this issue with the frog batteries as that could certainly be a problem. :)

C

Cyclezee

One more thing to consider is that as the battery clamps to the seatpost you cannot have the saddle at it's lowest setting, so it would be good idea to measure first;)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I personally would never again attach a battery to the seat post.
After a few months the extra weight cracked my seat tube just above the top tube, even with an extra long seat post which went well down into the seat tube .
My battery at around 4 kilos is perhaps heavier than the frog battery and I'm most probably heavier than you are but to me it's a risk not worth taking if you can avoid it.
I've just looked at the bike you ordered and would think a bottle battery attached to the frame wouldn't spoil the looks and would give a nice weight balance along with a front motor.

Dave.

Last edited:

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks D C for that valuable insight. So with that in mind and a few others saying they are not to keen on batteries attached to seat posts would it be better to get the bottle type battery and find some way to attach it to my bike??? I mean do the bottle batteries have to be attached always in the center of the bike or could I put it elsewhere??? Just to add again this is my bike :) http://www.viking-bikes.com/products/Heritage/6750-Kensington.html

D

Deleted member 4366

You can ude rivnuts to fit it anywhere you have a piece of frame long and straight enough to hold the mount.

Reactions: Shetland Wife

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Ahhh that makes things a bit less worrying then d8veh :) I know this may sound odd but could I mount it on my rear rack???

D

Deleted member 4366

I guess so. You'd probably have to make some simple brackets. The battery holder has two slots down the middle for two screws tofix it to something. One thing to bear in mind though is that the reason we have bottle batteries is to shift the weight forward for better balance and handling. Is it not possible to fit it to your frame?

Edit: I just checked out Your Viking Kensington. I can see why you can't fit the bottle battery to the frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello SW it may be possible to fit it to the inside/forward face of the seat tube, that way the weight would be better managed. If you new the battery size you could make a mock up out of cornflakes box ( blue peter style), tape it in place to see if it fits and would look ok also ride with it to see that you wouldn't knock it with your knees or legs.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just had a look at the panda site the usb Battery uses a generic 09 casing with a sturdy holder used by woosh,BMSB and eclipse to name a few so we can give you the exact dimensions, the bottle one (out of stock) may look neater however the fitting bracket isn't as robust and a bit more fragile.

D

Deleted member 4366

Bottle battery dimensions. The one in the Panda kit is the first type, so probanly a bit shorter at the bottom end:

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Wow thanks everyone going to do some measuring today and maybe even try this mock up as Nealh suggested. I am hoping to order in the next few days so all of your help I am beyond grateful for :) Also thanks for the dimensions chart d8veh :)

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
I have 279mm of straight bar at the cross bar in the middle and under the seat not including the seat post I have the same??? So not sure if this would work as I am a bit confused by the chart. Forgive me for not knowing proper terms for the bike bits as well ;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's a 2 minute job to bolt the square bottle battery onto the rear rack if you can't rivnut it to the seat tube.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DSCF0001 (2).JPG DSCF0003 (2).JPG

Overall total cradle length is 350mm, an extra 25mm at the top is req'd for the battery to locate and slide down.
From the top of the cradle the first fixing is 50mm down, the overall fixing available (3 slots) is 175mm. The very bottom fixing (4th one) is an extra one I added for rigidity lower down.

Last edited:

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Right so now I am wondering if I just go with the frog battery and try and just work with that??? Or do I go with the bottle battery and try to connect it elsewhere. You all are invaluable, and I am sorry if I am being a pain. This is all so new and baffling to me at times.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
It may not be the same for the one you’re thinking of fitting, but there have been a few who post here who have had problems with the mountings breaking. No experience of them myself BTW.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Its me again with another question :p so they have the kit I want but without battery included so where can I find a 36V Li-on battery that is a reasonable price???

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
I should add they do have the 24V 250W kits in stock with bottle or frog battery. But am I right in thinking the 36V is better?

D

Deleted member 4366

24v kits have 2/3 of the power. I'd forget that kit and get one from a reputable supplier like Cyclotricity, Woosh, Oxydrive and 8fun UK, who all do good cheap kits.