Shetland woman looking to find my perfect Ebike, Need Help Please!

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Hi everyone this is my first post here. But I have to say this forum is amazing and so useful and helpful. I am a woman who lives in the rural, isolated and at times hilly Shetland Islands. I have been housebound for a few years due to ill health and as my health improves I desperately want some freedom again. With that being said my fitness is not what it once was. I am 34 years old nearly 6ft tall and 14 and 1/2 stone. Just some basic info to help in this search.

I am madly in love with vintage styled bikes like the Kudos Duchess but believe it wouldn't be right for me from what I have read so far. I would prefer something with vintage styling as I would mostly be using the ebike for runs to our local shop (less than a mile away) or to go to some of the local beaches or for leisure out with the family. I have never had an electric bike before but they seem to fit the bill perfectly for me. I do have a budget and must stay under £1000 at most. I look forward to any help offered on this subject and to my future freedom to get out and about again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bike sizes vary considerably so please let us know your height to give us a starting point. Also would you prefer a step-through frame, asking since some women like a crossbar one.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks flecc my height is 5ft 11 1/2 inches I would prefer a step through but not totally closed minded on it.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi SW, welcome to the forum.

Many will say try before you buy but being in Shetland that could prove difficult for you.

I have searched and all I can find is:

http://www.unstcyclehire.co.uk

As it is currently out of season they might be able to let you try one of their hire bicycles so that you can see how you get on with an electric bicycle.

We also have another member from Shetland but I don't know if he ever purchased a bike:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-from-shetland.17766/

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/26-inch-wheeled-pedelec.17769/

Anyway good luck with your quest.

Last edited:

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks so much shemozzle999 I will give unstcyclehire a ring and see if I can arrange a trip up there to test a bike. And at least I am not the only Shetlander who is wanting a electric bike.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks trex I have had a good look at this and it is on my consideration list. Although I really love the Kudos Duchess and would even consider the Duke, I suppose I am a sucker for the design. But I must also think of the functional side. Any thoughts on the Kudos or similar ????

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi SW,

The Kudos Duke (and I expect the Duchess, although can't be sure as no longer on the web site) will be OK, but neither will climb as well as the Woosh above. The Duke has a an 8fun (or similar) motor, while the Big Bear has a BPM motor, and 50% larger battery.

I'm guessing you prefer the look of the duchess over Woosh?

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks Mike I do prefer the look of duchess but I want more bang for my buck and at the end of the day looks are not what are the most important. Especially when it comes to the terrain here in Shetland. I have seen so many rave about the Big Bear and that in itself says a lot. Might be time for me to really focus on the nitty gritty and leave the aesthetics behind. I am sure I could add my own touch to it anyway. So is the Woosh really the best for the price range and is there anything comparable with it????

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Ooooh interesting RobF I will have a look at that too. Thanks very much. I also have a very silly question as I havent had any bike since I was a teen. (Although have had a few short rides on my husbands mountain bike) Can you add baskets, and extra things to most bikes??? As I am hoping to do my shopping on my electric bike. I know a very stupid question but I really don't know.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ooooh interesting RobF I will have a look at that too. Thanks very much. I also have a very silly question as I havent had any bike since I was a teen. (Although have had a few short rides on my husbands mountain bike) Can you add baskets, and extra things to most bikes??? As I am hoping to do my shopping on my electric bike. I know a very stupid question but I really don't know.
'Yes' is the short answer.

No reason not to have a basket on an ebike.

A lot come with rear racks already, so pannier bags are rarely a problem.

More capacity in a large pair of panniers than in a basket.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
What's the saying - There's no such thing as a silly question, only a silly answer.

Yes, you can pretty much fit a basket to any bike.

If aesthetics are important to you, then you should consider them. No point in having a really nice bike that you cant stand to look at.

It does seem that there's a gap in the market for a nice, elegant looking ladies Electric Bike. You could always fit a kit to a bike you like, or find someone local to do it for you ?

Here's my wife's bike with a custom kid carrier on the back:
ZOE_0111_1.jpg

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
I like the idea of a custom bike or even adding a kit to a bike I like aesthetically but wouldnt have a clue where to begin or if I could even find someone in Shetland to set it up. My husband might be able to but will have to pick his brain first and see what he thinks. Thanks to everyone so far there is so much to learn and all your input is so helpful. Mike Higgins I really like the custom kid seat how cool!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most ordinary bikes can have a kit motor fitted, and these come in various types. There's front wheelhub motors, rear wheelhub motors and crank motors that drive through the bike's chain to assist the rider. The latter often replaces the existing bottom bracket in the frame.

There are good performing ones of each type, but a front hub motor is easiest to fit, especially if it comes ready built into a wheel.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello SW , with diy knowledge any bike can be converted here are my 2 bikes I have converted .

004 is Norco ali hybrid 700c with BBS01 mid drivekit
002 is Mtrax carbon mtb frame build up with Oxydrive rear cst kit.

Attachments

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Wow this opens up a bigger world to me in terms of Electric Bikes. I love vintage style bikes and dearly would prefer one but knowing I could fit a kit to one has expanded my thinking on this. Right so how much is a reasonable good kit... ie value for money, considering I am a bigger lass and I live in a windy somewhat hilly area?? You are all so great with all this helpful info.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
choosing a good kit depends much on the donor bike.
Tell us which bike you already have or want to convert.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
I don't currently have a bike but I would be looking at a Dutch style bike if I was going to purchase one. :)