Sinclair c5 revisited

D

Deleted member 33385

We can wait for an Aptera at € ??,???, oh wait, that is a 3-wheel car!

Wow, they really do look as if they might actually deliver:

...production "To Commence 2021 Q3". Maybe it'll be the 70s all over again, with companies touting ultra fuel efficient vehicles, cropping up all over the place? This time to stop us broiling to death because of global warming, instead of being catalysed by an oil crisis?

Have a dozen scrubbed and brought to my solid gold castle, surrounded by a champagne moat!

Here's Jay Leno driving one, over 8 years ago:

Here's another 4 wheeler you can "Reserve". It's says it's "All weather", despite not being fully enclosed:

You can throw your money away, I mean order this one for an alleged April delivery:

Here's another one - they claim to deliver to Germany, "more countries to follow":

Carver One (sorry, car):

...but I'd love a Monoracer - it's only 79,995 euros! So cheap! I'll have a dozen:

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I thought that the pedalec regulations were specifically for 2 or 3 wheel cycles, so claims on the 3 wheel DryCycle in particular of no need for license, riding in cycle lanes etc are not correct?

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I’d like to think newer materials and technologies will mean enclosed shells can be made cheap and light, but you still have the problems of other road users, and storage at both ends of your trip.
The original 50cc Tuk-Tuk are popular here but even with the petrol engine they struggle on any kind of hills - and very few roads are flat.
.CAD9D0D7-8846-4047-B2F0-385BC17A1C2C.jpeg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought that the pedalec regulations were specifically for 2 or 3 wheel cycles, so claims on the 3 wheel DryCycle in particular of no need for license, riding in cycle lanes etc are not correct?
It's 2, 3 or 4 wheeled since the 6th April 2015 amendments to the EAPC regulations. All weight limits removed too.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
What I'm looking for is a two seater where both can pedal. Need bucket style seats. My better half has Narcolepsy with cataplexy, cataplexy being a temporary full body rag doll paralysis, hence the need for a bucket seat. I've looked at a hase pino but she doesn't want to sit up front. A hase kettelweis as a trailer - no, doesn't fancy being down in the exhaust fumes.

Has anyone seen anything? She wants to pedal too, not just be a passenger.

D

Deleted member 33385

What I'm looking for is a two seater where both can pedal. Need bucket style seats. My better half has Narcolepsy with cataplexy, cataplexy being a temporary full body rag doll paralysis, hence the need for a bucket seat. I've looked at a hase pino but she doesn't want to sit up front. A hase kettelweis as a trailer - no, doesn't fancy being down in the exhaust fumes.

How about a roll-your-own-to-roll using "Old bike parts"? You could customise it however you like:

Electric tandem trike?

Roam Twinbike Relax (non-cycling passenger side, oops):

Last edited:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
4 wheel cycles were common in tourist areas of the Southern Europe (before electric bikes were available), maybe look to see if you find an electric version or buy a non-electric and add the electrics yourself?
Some are tandem layout, others are side-by-side. Many have bucket seats or armrests to stop anyone falling out.
Some inspiration and links on Pintrest Quad.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 33385

It's 2, 3 or 4 wheeled since the 6th April 2015 amendments to the EAPC regulations. All weight limits removed too.

Flecc that's fantastic! I'm betting the DryCycle sees tarmac in substantial numbers long before that Sinclair ever does. Mind you, most of these startups fail or stall for many years at a time. But as Scorpio pointed out, you've still got the problem of how to secure anything like that at either end of the journey. A folding format would be great, but it'll take a lengthy consultation with an origami master (black belt)

... to design the lightweight but safe in an impact folding bodywork. Or a generative AI algorithm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Would a side by side pedalling arrangement on three or four wheels be safest? Could a sudden change in balance, which might happen if one of you fell asleep, make riding a two wheeled vehicle unpredictable and dangerous? The amendments in law:

...makes the prospect of 4 wheeled tandem ebikes very exciting. Is there something out there you can electrify?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Perhaps modifying the backrest and saddle of something like this would give you a bucket type seat, for use on a normal tandem? It's often only shaped compressed wood under the sponge, which could be replaced with a shape more useful for your needs, and reupholstered. The wood could be steamed into shape. With a higher sturdy back, you could attach a seatbelt:

D

Deleted member 33385

Another possibility is to obtain a bucket seat intended for a recumbent and shape the front for cyling on an upright tandem, then attach it to the seatpost. I'd worry about the extra weight and leverage that a larger higher seat would have on the seatpost, but you could brace it from inside using a short steel bar welded in. You could also weld a piece of steel tube onto the top of the frame where it meets the seatpost, to stop that becoming damaged. Of course the bucket seat for a recumbent would be for a more reclined cycling posture, but you could glue a wedge shaped hard foam cushion to the back. Then add a seatbelt. Yes it's all a bodge.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
How about a roll-your-own-to-roll using "Old bike parts"? You could customise it however you like:

Electric tandem trike?

Roam Twinbike Relax (non-cycling passenger side, oops):

Thanks for that. The tradewinds plan look like the one. That's achievable, maybe 20 inch sprung forks on the front for comfort and an electric motor, I've seen front hub motors promoted on here for such a beast. Or I could swap my Bbs01b 250w over, would that need a differently configured motor though, rpm etc? Currently on my hybrid with 700c rims, I'd put a 26 on the back of the Tandem.
I have a 17ah hailong battery, just need a carrier for the frame.
Have I seen a freewheel bottom bracket gubbins mentioned here, I know there is such a thing, so the Stoker doesn't have to shovel coal on the fire all the time?

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Would you believe it, while looking at this lot, a vision recumbent tandem turned up, with a front hub motor, rare as hens teeth over here, US made. So I'm pursuing that at the moment. Save a lot of work.

D

Deleted member 33385

Would you believe it, while looking at this lot, a vision recumbent tandem turned up, with a front hub motor, rare as hens teeth over here, US made. So I'm pursuing that at the moment. Save a lot of work.

Looks brilliant!

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thanks for the other suggestions, even the BamBuk, especially if you are offering to pay for it, nigh on £10k.
I've spotted a 5 point harness on fleabay for my sleepy stoker, she wouldn't be able to flop sideways. It's also possible to fit high rise bars over the seat on the vision, instead of the under seat steering. This would give leverage to control the bike when stationary.

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks for the other suggestions, even the BamBuk, especially if you are offering to pay for it, nigh on £10k.
I've spotted a 5 point harness on fleabay for my sleepy stoker, she wouldn't be able to flop sideways. It's also possible to fit high rise bars over the seat on the vision, instead of the under seat steering. This would give leverage to control the bike when stationary.

How about this? There's a "motor kit" available too, can't see how much the bike weighs, store vertically against a wall:

Not a serious suggestion: Weld two mountain bikes together? FF video to the end:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I like the PEBL and the Elf! The hard shells do make them expensive to manufacture - the thick struts either side of the windscreens reduces visibility. Hard bodies are heavy, which justifies their greater than 250W motors.

What I wanted wasn't and still isn't available, so I've been trying to make one for years: Lightweight, folds small enough to store in a house, flat or office (I've given up on my aim of making a lightweight, 3 wheeled hardbodied 250W pedelec, which folds small enough to fit in the luggage compartment of a train or bus, [might fit on a shopping trolley lower rack]), with a hard folding body which is safe in impacts with cars, folding (3 or 4 wheeled) wheelbase with width small enough to not hold up traffic. I've got the lightweight folding wheelbase sorted out, but the hard impact-safe folding shell remains an unsolved puzzle, for now. It'd be great if someone else constructed the sort of pedelec I've described, so I don't have to!

Last edited: