Small Battery Bargain.....?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
If anyone is interested I have four of these battery packs for sale... bought them for an e-bike conversion project that never happened.
I'd just like to recoup my investment so £34 a piece? Collect from Cambridge or I can try and find a courier to ship them at cost (suggestions welcome)
I am interested at well. Please let me know if you can sell them to me

Thanks
Pat

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I built some battery mounts like previously in this thread and used them on a "nano" brompton kit. both batteries fit in the handlebar bag quite nice.

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
Hi hope someone can help I have the mac allister charger that's in this thread I now have a silver fish 36v li-ion battery I have the 3 pin xlr connecter, the silver fish battery only uses 2 of the 3 pins and I want to use the mac charger with this battery but in the charger there are 2 live wires 1 thin 1 thick so can I connect the wires to the3pin xlr and do I only use the thick red wire or do I connect both reds to 1 of the xlr terminals or should I not do this at all and why , thanks if you can help

D

Deleted member 4366

The middle pin connects to a NTC thermistor in the battery. I haven't tried it, but it would probably work if you put a 10K resistor between that pin and ground on the charger.

gkspud

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 24, 2016
scotland
i wondered where all the 4ah batteries went, didn't get a chance to grab any but did get 6 of the 2.6ah ones, was using 4 initially joined together then upgraded to 48v, so cut the other 2 into 6 cell sections and added onto end and wired in a 48v bms, 13s8p, working well so far. a 10.4ah battery for bit less than 150 quid:p

think i snapped up the last of the 2.6ah ones that were 30 quid or less.

Last edited:

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
It has pretty much all gone when I got mine 4ah one like 10 months ago and I am still looking . Now I have 4 of them in total using them regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gkspud

Dec 24, 2016
scotland
It has pretty much all gone when I got mine 4ah one like 10 months ago and I am still looking . Now I have 4 of them in total using them regularly

i liked how easily they stacked and wired together, only prob i had was the macallister charger cuts off after an hour or so, and easy enough to dremel apart and make smaller sections as the cells are spaced

also found a schottky diode in one of the spare chargers that works well for the regen routing back to bms, tho didnt try regen with the macallister bms as was using diff battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: craiggor

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
i wondered where all the 4ah batteries went, didn't get a chance to grab any but did get 6 of the 2.6ah ones, was using 4 initially joined together then upgraded to 48v, so cut the other 2 into 6 cell sections and added onto end and wired in a 48v bms, 13s8p, working well so far. a 10.4ah battery for bit less than 150 quid:p

think i snapped up the last of the 2.6ah ones that were 30 quid or less.

There is a guy selling 4ah for £50 on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262777649533

I did ask him £50 is for both

Not sure both of them are 4ah though

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Now it is gone that is quick ;)

gkspud

Dec 24, 2016
scotland
There is a guy selling 4ah for £50 on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262777649533

I did ask him £50 is for both

Not sure both of them are 4ah though

gone now, bugger, would have needed 3 or more to make a decent sized pack, would be lighter than the one i have atm which is about 5 and 1/3, and my rack is gonna need welded as one side of the support as come undone and zip ties holding it in place atm, tho did get the wiring mostly finished and tidied earlier, looking not bad now

also bodged in a switch from an ebike lever onto the hydraulic lever so it activates the regen brake, starts working before actual brake bites, was using a horn button previously , now it activates an actual horn.

Last edited:

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Time to inject some new life into this thread!

Are any of you still running on your Mac Allister batteries?

I was initially planning to do a Brompton conversion using just one batter, but that never happened.

Now I'm thinking I should just parallel two of them together to use as a spare for my old Wisper.

Since I have four chargers, I thought I could use the connectors from two of these to make the battery connectors - but do i also need fuses? Has anyone used the chargers to make battery connectors - or did you all build the custom connectors from chopping boards?

I don't wire stuff on a regular basis so would need some guidance in making the harness for two batteries. Pictures, diagrams or any other help greatly appreciated!

Chris

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Chris

My Mac battery is still going ok after more than 500 charges. If you do check the photos from this thread you should be able to get some ideas. I will 3d print the adapter to fit the battery but I haven't got a chance to make one.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Bought one of these recently (new in box)and on first charge it got so hot it deformed the casing and wouldn't hold charge. Guess the cells had drained too low and didn't respond well to being woken up. Fortunately got a refund from the seller.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
This is an old thread.

What I use mine for. Bargain Brushless Lawnmower from Aldi lol

IMG_0399.jpg

Actually the Macallister omnes have decent cells in them.

Jerry

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Hi all, coming back to this thread with a slightly different intended use for these old batteries that are only occasionally being used for the power tools I bought them with. I have yet to put one of them on a bike (but it will happen!).

In the meantime the 36V 3.0Ah Li-Ion battery on my mom's Gardena lawn mower, has given up. So the old Macallisters came to mind.

The mower's original battery connects to the mower with a plug that has six wires: Red-Brown-ThinRed-ThinBlack-Blue-Black
The Red and Brown are marked with + + and the Blue and Black with - -

On the mower there are five receptors, that connect to the Red-Brown-_-ThinBlack-Blue-Black wires from the battery. So the thin red one seems not to connect to the mower (it's probably for the charger only).

The MacAllister batteries only have four connectors, which are marked B+/P+ _ NTC _ CH- _ P-

Now my question: Can I wire my batteries to mom's lawn mower to replace the original battery?

And if so - how should I wire them? I am guessing I should use the B+/P+ and P- on the macallisters, but should I wire them to the receptors for the old battery's red and black ones on the mower? And why would there be two positive (red and brown) and two negative (black and blue) coming from the old battery? (I should maybe mention there is an indication on the old battery stating "2x54Wh" and it consists of 20 cells that are wired 10s2p)

Also, I guess that the NTC marking on my batteries is a temperature sensor. Not sure if this is used for charging or for discharging or both. Would the battery not work if that connection is not used for the lawn mower? Or would it not cut out if overheated?