Smart Pie 4 and NMC 24V 20Ah Battery

Jim R

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2015
Hi Trex what make is the easy to fit in the photo you talk of, and would it be good at climbing? I have a 17% hill to climb outside my house. If not any suggestions?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Jim R

Apr 4, 2015
Thanks for the help. Yes it's a long gradient and I'm about 15stone. Would an 8fun crank drive do it. I don't know what a BPM motor is. Sorry for the ignorance

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
A BBS02 would do it no problem.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks for the help. Yes it's a long gradient and I'm about 15stone. Would an 8fun crank drive do it. I don't know what a BPM motor is.
Most hub bikes come with one of the three main types of motor: direct drive (240mm diameter, 7kgs-9kgs, cheap and very robust but heavy, has low torque, not good for hill climbing), 120mm diameter, 3 kgs geared hub motor (good torque, lightweight, stealthy but not good for steep hills, still is the most popular choice because it's not expensive) and BPM (BPM is the abbreviation for big powerful motor, geared, 180mm, 5kgs, big torque, good hill climber, good pulling power). BPM bikes from Kudos: Tornado, Sonata, Rapide, from Woosh: Big Bear, Zephyr-B, Sunbear, from Cyclezee: all the Ezee bikes are equiped with the large Ezee V2 motors.
15st is average, you can go for crank drive or BPM.
BPM is better for short, undulating hills while crank drive is better for steep long hills.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger

Jim R

Apr 4, 2015
Thank you very much for your informative reply Trex I appreciate your help, and cheers to Kinninvie for the input

Jim R

Apr 4, 2015
After considering your advice, I bought a bafang crank drive motor with a bottle attachment battery from Eclipsebikes.
These I mounted to a Scott Accent hard tail bike and the result is wonderful.
Over 100 miles in 4 days up big hills and down dales. Love it. Thanks

London Pie

Oct 20, 2015
Here are some facts and figures for the Golden Motor hub motors:

Smart Pie 4
Max phase current: 50A
Continuous current: 18A
Open Voltage: 20V - 60V
Rated Power: 200-400W

Magic Pie 4
Max phase current: 80A
Continuous current: 30A
Open voltage: 20V-60V
Rated power: 500-1000W
Hi Hasse

Did you build the setup with the Smart Pie? I was looking at them on ebay - they look pretty good. How did you get on?

London Pie

Oct 20, 2015
Sounds like you know your stuff Cyclezee - unfortunately it's a bit hard to understand for me as a newbie to this subject - it seems like a minefield out there.
What I'm looking for is a light weight (within reason) small front hub drive kit. That I can boost up to 17mph (to stay legal) , but also help up the hills. I like my bike simple and clean looking, an almost invisible kit would be ideal, with a small bottle battery. I'm not too bothered about battery length as I would plan to just ride if it ran out. I had a quick look at your website but couldn't see anything within my price range - I'm looking about £500 all in

C

Cyclezee

Hi London Pie,

There are of course kits out there within your budget just not from us;)

My suggestion would be to check out Oxydrive http://www.oxydrive.co.uk

Please note that I have no connection or affiliation with Oxydrive whereas some advice given on the forum comes from supposedly non trade members who do have connections with the brands that they recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: London Pie

London Pie

Oct 20, 2015
Thanks Cyclezee - they look good and the price is nice. Do you know anything about them or did you just come across them?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
What I'm looking for is a light weight (within reason) small front hub drive kit. That I can boost up to 17mph (to stay legal) , but also help up the hills. I like my bike simple and clean looking, an almost invisible kit would be ideal, with a small bottle battery. I'm not too bothered about battery length as I would plan to just ride if it ran out. I had a quick look at your website but couldn't see anything within my price range - I'm looking about £500 all in
Not front hub drive but good performance and street legal: woosh GSM crank drive kit with 11.6AH downtube battery for £499.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit#gsmkit

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Cyclezee - they look good and the price is nice. Do you know anything about them or did you just come across them?
Hi London Pie,

I don't have personal experience of the Oxydrive kits, but this thread speaks for itself http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/oxydrive-kits.19746/

The Oxydrive is tried, tested and better value for money than the one mentioned above.

One thing to note when buying a kit is the length of warranty, as far as I am aware Cyclezee are the only company in the UK to offer more than one year.

Last edited by a moderator:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Clicking on the link of either kit, you don't get the special price, the site shows in stock status and its normal price. Try it for yourself.

C

Cyclezee

Clicking on the link of either kit, you don't get the special price, the site shows in stock status and its normal price. Try it for yourself.
OK, clearly an error on their website, I stand corrected.

London Pie

Oct 20, 2015
Thanks guys. I'm sure I can find another £99 if I really have to, but wouldn't want to go over that. Personally I prefer the look of hub drive units, I think they are a bit cleaner looking. Although I've read mid drive has more torque and is better for hill climbing. It's a bit vain I know, but I don't want to create a machine with wires and boxes all over the place. Integrated batteries and controllers are great - although that woosh battery looks huge!

C

Cyclezee

Hi London Pie,

Sorry about getting the price wrong, but even so I don't think you will find a better quality kit for the money.