Solutions to video camera shake

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I was advised by a camera techy at work. He said it may help and I think he's right!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
No! The CAR DVR was 16.99 from 7dayshop! ... Amazing value!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I dont think USB charging is going to work. Need to get the mains/usb charger thing ...
Ok. Found one and managed to get some charge in the battery. Very impressed with the quality of the sound and the vision! .. I need to adjust the goggle mount though ... look out for the shadow at the end!, the squeaky break and the black cat! ...
I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get more into view! ..

YouTube - CX700/JESSOPS (MD80) GOGGLE MOUNT TEST-02

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Need's to be adjusted alot. Just see alot of tarmac. Lol.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
helmet goggle cam mount for JESSOPS/MD80

Need's to be adjusted alot. Just see alot of tarmac. Lol.
Don't worry I'll be using the "helmet goggle cam mount" for the next test. (some people are creative. I don't know why. They just are ...) I think it will have the desired affect.
DSC00144_HELMET_GOGGLE_CAM.jpg

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
How not to do filming

At the weekend I tried strapping the Creative Vado HD camera to the top of my arm and then going around a lake (2km) so the camera was filming sideways. This is the result...

YouTube - Sideways filming around a lake

YouTube has done something nasty to it, it's all pixelated so recommend watching in HD mode. Terrible wind noise and camera shake. With subjects quite close to the camera at times it can be nauseating to watch up close..recommend you sit further back from screen ;-)

Nevertheless, it's different! The lake turned out to be quite busy with lots of people there, some carnival thing was going on.. had to constantly use the bell and go very slow on throttle most of the time.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Don't worry I'll be using the "helmet goggle cam mount" for the next test. (some people are creative. I don't know why. They just are ...) I think it will have the desired affect.
View attachment 1987
Excellent, looking forward to seeing that.. I watched your goggle cam test footage yesterday and your first test ride.. it looks like the best mounting for the MD80, seems to work much better doesn't it on the head.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
... it looks like the best mounting for the MD80, seems to work much better doesn't it on the head.
Yes. Certainly on the goggles seems really good and wasn't the audio impressive. Hardly any wind noise and the voice is really close ... I haven't check the result from this mornings ride yet but it will be interesting to compare.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Anti-Vibration mount solution on eBay from Israel

Noticed this earlier...

ANTI VIBRATION camera mount RC heli motorbike car #500 | eBay UK

Looks interesting, would love to know what's inside it.

Actually found that link while reading a remote control plane forum on aerial photography..

Aerial Photography - RC Groups

Lots of interesting discussion on different mini and full size cameras, ways of mounting etc...seems they have the problem of vibration and camera shake too.

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Out of interest what exactly are you trying to capture and for what use?

Only I've never bothered filing stuff on a motorbike / car or Bike because most my journeys are commutes. Therefore nothing interesting happens.

Helmet Cam will be good! Although with the googles like that you'll look a bit strange...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I just want to film my bike rides mainly for my own personal use, but also to share on YouTube once the quality is sorted out.. I also like having the camera rolling in case there's an accident or incident.

Only I've never bothered filing stuff on a motorbike / car or Bike because most my journeys are commutes. Therefore nothing interesting happens.
Yes I guess if you're only using bike to do the same routes you wouldn't want to keep filming them, but it's nice if you're exploring new places and going in the countryside to film.

Helmet Cam will be good! Although with the googles like that you'll look a bit strange...
Helmet mount is definitely one of the better ways of mounting, assuming you wear one (I don't personally, but I might be persuaded to start)..

Alan's goggles method intrigued me..it produces results as good as helmet mount. The only problem with anything head mounted is you're going to get all the looking down, left and right on the film..but I guess you could edit that out and just use bits you want in, or leave in for an authentic ride experience..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

"nothing interesting happens" - I agree normal commuting can be quite a bore ... you need to try "extreme commuting" there is always something going on ... only this morning a dog ran out in front of me and a sports car pulled out in front of me having not seen me I was gaining on him and he crunched his gears as panic set in as he struggled to accelerate away... very funny ... I had a pigeon fly into my front wheel last week ..... a scantlly young female jogger came up to me the other day as I was fixing a puncture and she borrowed my phone ... wish I had her on film! ... That would have certainly gone in my "watch again" pile!

I've got loads of ideas relating to on bike filming ... for example ...pick a route and film it regularly thoughout the year. Then split the video and merge together so that your new video is of you cycling through the seasons ....
Morphix could do that around his lake. Image how beautiful that lake is going to be in winter ...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Did they ask Hilary why she climbed Everest? Did (as Hancock once had it) Magna Carta die in vain?

a) vaguely interesting puzzle to solve (mounting, that is);

b) too much time on our hands.

c) her indoors always asks where I've been. This way I can sit her down at a screen and bore her silly for 20 minutes at a time.

A.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Did they ask Hilary why she climbed Everest? Did (as Hancock once had it) Magna Carta die in vain?

a) vaguely interesting puzzle to solve (mounting, that is);

b) too much time on our hands.

c) her indoors always asks where I've been. This way I can sit her down at a screen and bore her silly for 20 minutes at a time.

A.
D) I like the idea of working in a team (well ... with Morphix mainly .. but a few others are following and getting involved which is great ..) ... towards some common goal ... I am actually excited about my commute home as I will be tested "head to head" the CARDVR FRONT MOUNT and the JESSOPS/MD80 HELMET/GOGGLE MOUNT.

Battery has charged and I'm off! ..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
CAR DVR v PSP CAM using UTUBE DOUBLER

This is quite useful:
CX700/CARDVR_REAR vs. CX700/PSP REAR MOUNT by VJ Over 30 | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

If the link works. youtubedoubler allows you to specify 2 videos and play them side by side. In this case I have chosen the same footage of the first few seconds on one of my commutes to work where I had the CAR DVR and the PSP CAM mounted on the REAR. Both are acceptable however its clear that the CAR DVR is better quality.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
CX700 CARDVR v JESSOPS (MD80) front mounts

CX700/CAR DVR TRIBAR MOUNT TEST-05 vs. CX700/JESSOPS(MD80) HELMET/GOGGLE MOUNT - TEST-02 by VJ Over 30 | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

This is interesting. Note.
The JESSOPS cam is still not mounted correctly - try again tomorrow
The AUDIO of the JESSOPS cam is better than the CAR DVR by miles!
Hard to tell the difference in the video as the JESSOP cam is pointing at road mainly! .. but it does appear to me that the quality will compare nicely with the CAR DVR.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I wasn't having a groan I was just interested to see what exactly you are after capturing for instance.

After all i see a few cyclists with helmet cam's on the run to work and generally something interesting does happen on each commute if we are talking about random things happening.

Ie Birds / Cars etc... But I'd initally think of the entertain purpose and doing something that no one has done before.

Which is probably why I never film things lol. Barely ever take pictures - Even when on holiday.
(Althoguh there's a constant pressure with facebook and photo's and showing people what your doing). I'm simply to lazy.

Its all in my head those pictures ;-)

I'd like to see a time lapse though that would be quite cool.

Be even better if you was commuting in a way of a free run on your bike. But that would take alot of effort!

Ps. As just an idea coming back to helmet cam. There's lots of lights that people clip to helmets and Mirrors. Maybe you can fashion one of those to hold a camera... Just a thought

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
D) I like the idea of working in a team (well ... with Morphix mainly .. but a few others are following and getting involved which is great ..) ... towards some common goal ... I am actually excited about my commute home as I will be tested "head to head" the CARDVR FRONT MOUNT and the JESSOPS/MD80 HELMET/GOGGLE MOUNT.

Battery has charged and I'm off! ..
Thanks Alan I appreciate it. It's good working together exploring new ideas and testing them out..we are pushing the frontiers of ebiking aren't we? :D

This thread is becoming one of the most followed..seems to have generated a lot of interest, I never imagined it would be so popular. Why are the forum owners taking so long to give the go ahead with our dedicated camera review forum?..hmm *nudge nudge* We have already tested out quite a few cameras and it's getting difficult to keep track so we need our reviews and ratings...

Looking forward to exploring more cameras and ideas for filming..

Paul

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
CX700/CAR DVR TRIBAR MOUNT TEST-05 vs. CX700/JESSOPS(MD80) HELMET/GOGGLE MOUNT - TEST-02 by VJ Over 30 | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

This is interesting. Note.
The JESSOPS cam is still not mounted correctly - try again tomorrow
The AUDIO of the JESSOPS cam is better than the CAR DVR by miles!
Hard to tell the difference in the video as the JESSOP cam is pointing at road mainly! .. but it does appear to me that the quality will compare nicely with the CAR DVR.
The audio of the jessops MD80 is outstanding and your glasses mount was quite stable too..that camera should go top of the list, at least for audio?