Solutions to video camera shake

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Self-made harness

Had a go making a harness earlier and went for a quick ride to the lake..

Came out really shaky, as bad as my early videos..

It wasn't very secure and was bobbing up and down too much.. I think had I used two straps around the chest and secured them better, it might of worked.. will try again next time.

I thought the harness might be too low but the viewing angle was rather nice and quite interesting providing a handlebar level prospective so you could see my control panel and into the distance...the camera used was the Creative Vado HD (3rd gen) set in "HD" mode (not the highest quality setting which is HD+). Audio pick up not good, camera too low without an external mic.

YouTube - Homemade camera harness test #1 (watch for the little squirrels at end trying to out-run my bike ;-)

YouTube - Homemade camera harness test #2 (a little clip near a fairground)

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Very true! Would be good to see the bullet cam though. The cheapest one only a 100 though and quite stealthy!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
In terms of quality it certainly seems that the previously linked 808 #11 Car Key camera is best value for money both in terms of its 1280x720, H.264, MOV recording and the fact it retails at around £25 on ebay.

Seems I have caught the cam bug as I recently purchased a pair of sun glasses with built in 640*480 video camera. Solves all the problems with mounting and certainly ideal for recording my regular commute for mishaps. I needed a pair of glasses anyway as the bug season is here. They cost me £15, only need charging once a week and a 2GB card will last me my five, one hour round commute trips.

The higher quality camera looks like it would be fun to play around with, though would require more maintenance in regular charging and recording wipes if used daily.

Oops getting confused with this post. All these video cam posts are blurring into one :eek:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I recently purchased a pair of sun glasses with built in 640*480 video camera. Solves all the problems with mounting and certainly ideal for recording my regular commute for mishaps. I needed a pair of glasses anyway as the bug season is here. They cost me £15, only need charging once a week and a 2GB card will last me my five, one hour round commute trips.
Have you got a link for the glasses? Having almost satisfied myself that the goggle mount is best .. I want some!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Re: Morphix's chest mount ..
shame .. cos that looks excellent ...

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
The audio of the jessops MD80 is outstanding and your glasses mount was quite stable too..that camera should go top of the list, at least for audio?
Certainly for Audio..
What do you think of the utube doubler? Does it work for you? You made to manually mess about with the controls to get them in sync but is ideal for comparing cameras dont you think?
Here is my latest test using the new Spirit recumbent that has suspension. Visually they are very similar.
SPIRIT/JESSOPS(MD80) GOGGLE MOUNT TEST-01 vs. SPIRIT/CARDVR HANDLE BAR STEM MOUNT TEST-01 by VJ Over 30 | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I think had I used two straps around the chest and secured them better, it might of worked.. will try again next time.

I thought the harness might be too low but the viewing angle was rather nice and quite interesting providing a handlebar level prospective so you could see my control panel and into the distance...the camera used was the Creative Vado HD (3rd gen) set in "HD" mode (not the highest quality setting which is HD+). Audio pick up not good, camera too low without an external mic.
Good work Morphix keep trying different ideas. As we now know that a goggle mount gives the best result on bikes with no suspension can you not try to mount your Vado up there somewhere? To prove its better shake wise you could even mount it on the back of your head...
I've started using a naming convention for my utube uploads and posts so its clear what bike, camera, mounting, test number. Perhaps you can do the same? As we get more of these it will help us to organise all this stuff later on.
So for this last test of yours you would have:
MSB/VADO/CHEST MOUNT TEST-01
I've invented MSB for your bike (Morphix's Self Build) ... but you can come up with something. .

Actually just think of the future ... perhaps we should include our pedelec user names in the convention , .. so its ..
MORPHIX/MSB/VADO/CHEST MOUNT TEST-01

THis means if we dont get our sub forum we can always look at using something like a google docs spreadsheet or similar ...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Certainly for Audio..
What do you think of the utube doubler? Does it work for you? You made to manually mess about with the controls to get them in sync but is ideal for comparing cameras dont you think?
Here is my latest test using the new Spirit recumbent that has suspension. Visually they are very similar.
SPIRIT/JESSOPS(MD80) GOGGLE MOUNT TEST-01 vs. SPIRIT/CARDVR HANDLE BAR STEM MOUNT TEST-01 by VJ Over 30 | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

It's a handy tool isn't it. Saves getting into complicated video editing and splitting the screen. Ideal for these camera on camera comparisons or different mount comparisons as you did above.. I might have a go at making one today as I have two shots of a ride pass with the MD80 and Vado from same angle, be interesting to compare video quality cheap v expensive.

Re your video above..superb..hardly any camera shake at all. These are good workable solutions. The audio is nice and clear too.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Good work Morphix keep trying different ideas. As we now know that a goggle mount gives the best result on bikes with no suspension can you not try to mount your Vado up there somewhere? To prove its better shake wise you could even mount it on the back of your head...
Yes good idea..I think this camera might be a bit too heavy and big for goggle mount, but I could try is mounting it to a baseball cap just to see how it fairs on a head mount seen as you have got the best results so far that way. One thing about the Vado too is that it's audio seems weak compared to the MD80, if the camera is below shoulder pick up is quite poor and none at all on windy / noisy rides..head mount should be a good test for audio.

I've started using a naming convention for my utube uploads and posts so its clear what bike, camera, mounting, test number. Perhaps you can do the same? As we get more of these it will help us to organise all this stuff later on.
So for this last test of yours you would have:
MSB/VADO/CHEST MOUNT TEST-01
I've invented MSB for your bike (Morphix's Self Build) ... but you can come up with something. .

Actually just think of the future ... perhaps we should include our pedelec user names in the convention , .. so its ..
MORPHIX/MSB/VADO/CHEST MOUNT TEST-01

THis means if we dont get our sub forum we can always look at using something like a google docs spreadsheet or similar ...

Yes exellent idea. It makes a lot of sense..actually my naming of files was starting to get messy and confusing even to myself! I will adopt the method above.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
ALso .,, try to mount both devices so you have exactly the same footage for both and then I can look in the utube doubler

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
New Video: MSB/VADO/SHOULDER MOUNT TEST-03

Here is my latest test video..

Following on from my previous successful test of the shoulder mount for the Creative Vado HD camera, I decided to have another go but this time to try varying the height and position of the camera while out riding (so expect some adjusting and fiddling around in places)

I purposely rode on some rough tracks and over bumps and curbs to see how the camera mounting would hold up.. it coped very well until the last curb which proved a bump too far.. the camera must of moved as all I got was the road for the last minute or so of the video!

Unfortunately I forgot to test the audio, but I'm sure it would be acceptable and clear, in the absence of a headwind.

YouTube - Riding my electric bike

Looking at result...

The high shoulder mount proves itself again to be a very stable mount for larger pocket camcorders/Flip-style cameras. Even with the temporary mounting I use (velcro and double-sided sticky tape) which does result in a bit of camera movement the results are satisfactory.. The only problem with high shoulder is that you need to keep your head upright to avoid your chin getting infront of the camera lens..

Adjusting the camera to a high to mid chest position seems to work equally as well, but the camera is more prone to movement, particularly over rough surfaces and bumps the lower down you wear it..(certainly with my type of velcro mounting anyway)..

My thoughts are that a purpose made jacket with a high chest pocket is the way to go and will provide really good solution for these types of "flip" cameras where bike mounting isn't possible (due to lack of suspension for instance).

I'm thinking what is needed now is a snug tight fitting clear polythene pocket with a velcro flap sewn onto the jacket at the right place. I'm going to explore the possibility of modifying my hi vis jacket (which already has such a pocket for ID cards on it lower down) or perhaps getting one custom made so further filming tests can be done..

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Here is my latest test video..
Making good progress. Some of that footage is excellent. I also like the addition of the rectangular text boxes in the absence of the narrator!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
CAR DVR and MD80 failures

Took both of the above devices out for a head to head test - literally - CAR DVR on helmet and MD80 on goggles. Got back after an incident filled 26 miles to find that the CAR DVR's SD card was corrupt and the MD80 had recorded about the first 30 seconds! ..
Recovering the CAR DVR is a simple matter of formatting but need to know how often this is going to happen before I can give it a rave review. As for the MD80 well the 30 seconds was quality but .. as I've been unable to get any lengthy footage so would be interested to know what others have been able to do. As it stands my most reliable device is my PSP! ..

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Took both of the above devices out for a head to head test - literally - CAR DVR on helmet and MD80 on goggles. Got back after an incident filled 26 miles to find that the CAR DVR's SD card was corrupt and the MD80 had recorded about the first 30 seconds! ..
Recovering the CAR DVR is a simple matter of formatting but need to know how often this is going to happen before I can give it a rave review. As for the MD80 well the 30 seconds was quality but .. as I've been unable to get any lengthy footage so would be interested to know what others have been able to do. As it stands my most reliable device is my PSP! ..
Ahh that's annoying, 26 miles..very frustrating. I've done that myself before.

I think you're right about the reliability of these cheap cameras, they can work fine and produce good quality film but do sometimes randomly crash or need resetting on occasion. I've had to reset my MD80 a couple times already, but only while using it indoors.

I did a quick film late yesterday afternoon..I had to post some things so made a quick run across town to the post sorting office.. haven't reviewed the footage yet but will upload it soon.. (Vado HD on shoulder again).. on my way home, a driver decided to pull out right in front of me at a giveway..caught on camera! I signalled my annoyance at him to get back and got no reaction at all, he just proceeded to cut infront of me like I wasn't even there!

I'm going to get one of those little 808 keyring cams I think..I'm also considering changing the tyres on my bike for big apple to provide some cushion against the uneven road and bumps..might help with the camera shake a bit for frame mounting..

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I've always wanted to film my rides but couldn't find a way to attach my cameras securely. I bought a spy pen that goes in my top pocket, it wasn't really meant to film my rides but I tried anyway!

The problem is it can get covered by my jacket, or turns in the pocket to one side. I'm going to try a thick piece of card next time. Sometimes it sits too low and can't see over the handlebars.

The results so far were better than I expected, frame rate is a bit low but the mic picks up most sounds in range, and unfortunately the wind when the speed picks up. The time/date stamp in the videos are completely wrong at the moment too.

I've got several clips, most around 15 minutes or longer and 250-300MB, I've never uploaded a video to Youtube before but I might give it a go.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've got several clips, most around 15 minutes or longer and 250-300MB, I've never uploaded a video to Youtube before but I might give it a go.
Welcome to the review team :)
Dont think we've had a spy pen test yet. Does it have a model name etc.. How much did it cost? ... Does it have a mini SD card? How many gig? ... Does it create .avi files? Note. depending on the format you may be able to upload to utube without having to do a file conversion.
Look forward to viewing the results.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I did a quick film late yesterday afternoon..

I'm going to get one of those little 808 keyring cams I think..I'm also considering changing the tyres on my bike for big apple to provide some cushion against the uneven road and bumps..might help with the camera shake a bit for frame mounting..
About time we had some excitement in your videos. I hope there is swearing. :)
The keyring cam is also on my birthday list.
Not sure about the change of tyres. You want the best tyres suitable for your bike and route. And you know the solution to camera shake ... mount it on your head somewhere .. doesn't have to be a helmet (I know you dont like them) .. goggles, a headband, a head torch - with torch removed, etc .... some of these devices are so small you should be able to find something that suits you ..
If you want a handlebar mount that make sure your next ebike has front suspension - I assume you are working on a new ebike design?

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Welcome to the review team :)
Dont think we've had a spy pen test yet. Does it have a model name etc.. How much did it cost? ... Does it have a mini SD card? How many gig? ... Does it create .avi files? Note. depending on the format you may be able to upload to utube without having to do a file conversion.
Look forward to viewing the results.
It's made by a company called Swann, and is one of the lower-end models. I have the 2gb version, there's a 4gb version as well. Swann PenCam Discreet Camera Video Recorder : Covert Equipment : Maplin

There's also another one by the same make, nearly 10 times the price but much better quality.

2GB can do 90 minute videos (it is .avi), the lithium battery is quick to charge through USB.

The videos I have either pick up my swearing at the wind, the best one is just over 17 mins and might be too long for Youtube. I did one where I filtered through 50 vehicles in 3 minutes, and others showing high amount of traffic.