Some lorry drivers are full of rubbish

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
personally I think you need your head examined going up the inside of something like that...Be careful out there..

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
personally I think you need your head examined going up the inside of something like that...Be careful out there..
I was cringing too when I saw him go alongside..lorries are the main cause of cycle deaths, another one was reported last week.. you need to stay well clear of them I think.

On the subject of cycle deaths, did anyone see that terrible tragic story reported on BBC at weekend? A cyclist was injured and was exchanging details with the driver, when another car (the exact same model) hit him again and killed him. And then some guys stole his bike in a transit van which was left by the roadside.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Was tempted to try and report this geezer on policewitness but £60 membership if you don't buy their camera!

YJ10BAV - YouTube
I remember seeing a story in a local press about a guy who ended up going to court and getting fined over £170 for throwing an apple core from his car! He started off with a fixed penalty of £50 but refused to pay it and challenged it in court as he said the apple was biodegradable and hedgehogs etc would eat it anyway, that's the only reason he threw it. The court didn't accept his argument and increased the fine and awarded damages and court costs to Council.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I was cringing too when I saw him go alongside..lorries are the main cause of cycle deaths, another one was reported last week.. you need to stay well clear of them I think.

On the subject of cycle deaths, did anyone see that terrible tragic story reported on BBC at weekend? A cyclist was injured and was exchanging details with the driver, when another car (the exact same model) hit him again and killed him. And then some guys stole his bike in a transit van which was left by the roadside.
Yeah Sunderland not far from Funky land, a strange lot up there :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yeah Sunderland not far from Funky land, a strange lot up there :)
Far enough...... and not half as strange as you 'monkey hangers' lol

Lynda :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ah! missed that....Did not realise you where more concerned with being hit on the head with a sweet raper then being crushed to death...:p

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I don't see the problem with that, plenty of room, no railings, no immediate left turn and very slow moving traffic.
I'm more risk averse.....scared? So would have been up on that wide and empty foot path as I dont like being held up either....

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I'm more risk averse.....scared? So would have been up on that wide and empty foot path as I dont like being held up either....
Wouldn't have taken you for riding a bike illegally eddieo.

Glass houses, stones and all that....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
But it's not illegal for a cyclist to take to the pavement out of fear of traffic, Home Office ruling on the year 2000 legislation.
Indeed..... I carry a copy in my pannier.:p

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
While I switch on my printer, can someone provide a link to the Home office ruling of 2000? My Google skills today are not working for me!

Thanks!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
....I wish.
Wish no more Mike, here's the ruling details to copy and print:

On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. At the time Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by 'Community Support Officers' and wardens.

"CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)