stop close passing for about a tenner

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sometimes I wonder if you had a paintbrush on the end it would make drivers keep their distance...maybe with a can of paint dangling on the pole with a "WET PAINT" sign :)
He could pump paint through the pipe at drivers that don't?

@trevor brooker - Perhaps clear acrylic tube to contain your LED strip lights? Some kind of cover for use in daylight? Of course various other clear acrylic tubes are available on ebay and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Ride it through Manchester.

A passenger would pull it off and hit you with it. Or preferably shove it somewhere the sun doesn’t shine.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
you know they do make a device for military humvees that protect it against rpg's if a RPG is detected within a safe zone of about 3 meters around the humvee it deploys explosive counter measures to destroy the rpg

perhaps we can adapt this technology to work on cars if they come within half a meter of either handle bar it just blows the car up lol
What if drivers do the same? Let's wait and see who will fly further.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I experience this sort of thing often -
That example was pretty outrageous, and you should be sending that footage into the cops for them to deal with.

But take the truck away and that pretty normal passing on most roads.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
That example was pretty outrageous, and you should be sending that footage into the cops for them to deal with.
When it isn't near collisions with oncoming traffic, it's screeching to a halt behind or near me out to the right because they realise they're about to collide with oncoming traffic, out of camera view, or just about making it ahead of traffic islands.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Ah, but the high resolution does allow us to see if there is anything nesting in there! :)

View attachment 50321
That's part of my anti- theft system!

No - I just looked at what was required to pass a MOT for a motorbike or moped, as I thought they have had a 100 years to get all the safety features right, so I will copy them. Hence indicators, brake lights, horn plus I have got caught out in fog on unlit country roads & normal height bike lights don't reach the tarmac, so I put some lights low on the forks. Also added front & rear daylight flashing lights.

I suppose I should tidy them up but it works.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
TBH it looks like a dangerous addition. In fact I think its more likely going to attract the attention of the cops who will tell you to remove it.
Then you'll have to stand and look sheepish as they lecture you.
I don't understand, as its about the same length as the Oxford safety reflector

It just looks longer because its white & very narrow.

It's under half the legal minimum passing distance.

As the law sets a fixed distance, it has to be measured, which you do with ruler or a pole with a known length.

Just imagine what it would look like if it was 1.5m long!

I think the problem is that we have trouble visualising a gap of 1.5m. so when we see anything it becomes longer in our perception.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just looked at what was required to pass a MOT for a motorbike or moped, as I thought they have had a 100 years to get all the safety features right, so I will copy them.
There's still a m/c safety feature you[ve missed from the list, your safety responsibility to other road users by having at least one rear view mirror.

The great majority of cyclists are irresponsible in not having and using one.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
There's still a m/c safety feature you[ve missed from the list, your safety responsibility to other road users by having at least one rear view mirror.

I have two on the handlebars, but I mainly use the mirror attached to my glasses, as by turning my head I can point it around to see traffic from all directions.

Reactions: guerney and flecc

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020

What can you recommend as good? I've tried some but they tended to wobble around so much, I found myself spending too much time staring at it, trying to figure out what was coming up behind rather than the road ahead.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Never been close passed then?
I’ve not rode a bike for over 30 years.

That is idiotic and dangerous. Police should pull him, fine him and put points on his license if he has one.

Like something out of a Mr Bean sketch.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
You always get twats. Not worth pissing off every driver who passes you because of the odd prick.

Deal with idiots as and when they pass you.

Cameras are a good idea. homemade, idiotic contraptions are just that.

Trouble is, it's not just the "odd prick". Cycle just a couple of miles these days and you will get several close passes. There are so many more cars on the road now and since the start of social media, people are less patient and are generally in a bad mood...or just plain distracted trying to write a Whatsapp while they drive. Add to that click bait media jocks who want to sir up trouble and vilify people who happen to be on bikes.

I've run cameras, but often the police just aren't interested in doing anything. Hence I've found it's best to ensure people keep their distance in the first place, rather than try and persuade the police to take action afterwards. Trevor's first attempt might be a bit long, but I've found something like this is the only way to get people in cars to give room. There are commercial products too, the original Oxford stalk, or the more modern "L-bow".

What's the alternative? This?

Reactions: guerney