Help! Stretching dropout s

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If it's steel there should be no problem. Go vary carefully if it is aluminium.

Reactions: Monkey Tennis

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably steel. Hold a magnet to the frame; it it reacts its steel, if not aluminium.

Reactions: Monkey Tennis

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Steel is easy. Aluminium is a bit harder, especially on frames for 20" wheels, but still can be done. Two planks of wood shoved in and pulled apart normally does the job. You have to go about twice as far as you need, then let it spring back.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

Hush

Just Joined
Sep 3, 2019
The way I do it. First test with a magnet to be sure it is a steel frame. I use a threaded rod, some wooden blocks, two washers and two screws. The rod goes through the blocks and the dropouts. There is some spring back, to get a permanent 135mm from 126mm I had to stretch to 170mm. Could be a good idea to add a clamp at the brake bridge on top of the seatstays .
After stretching I check for the symmetry with a string : tie it to one dropout go around the headtube and back to the second dropout.The distance between the string and the seat tube should be the same on both
sides.32235

Hush

Just Joined
Sep 3, 2019
Wouldn't you want some off-set for the gears, to save having to dish the wheel?
Yes, you are right, but being unable to lace or redish a wheel I stay on the safe side and try to keep the frame as symmetrical as possible.
Everybody probably already know this link :

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Yes, you are right, but being unable to lace or redish a wheel I stay on the safe side and try to keep the frame as symmetrical as possible.
Everybody probably already know this link :
Thanks for the Interesting link I'd not seen that before. I've had easy success dishing wheels by just slackening spokes on one side and tightening them by the same amount of turns on the other side.
Dave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just to emphasise this. Aluminium frames must never be bent, ever. They will fracture catastrophically, more than likely when you are riding.
How I change tubes and tyres, even a Marathon Plus once!

And here reshaping an aluminium rear frame to substantially widen the dropouts while keeping them parallel:

Agreed it does take care and one needs to know what one is doing and have the required sensitivity, but having done it successfully a few times it is definitely possible.

Reactions: D C and POLLY

niggle

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2017
Cornwall, near England
How I change tubes and tyres, even a Marathon Plus once!

View attachment 32421

And here reshaping an aluminium rear frame to substantially widen the dropouts while keeping them parallel:

View attachment 32422

Agreed it does take care and one needs to know what one is doing and have the required sensitivity, but having done it successfully a few times it is definitely possible.
You have got away with it, so far... but aluminium will suffer micro stress cracks when bent, then stress corrosion can eat into them propagating further cracking, the process can take time but then one day it will fail suddenly. Steel can take much more bending and even when it does fail it does it slowly, the cracking happens gradually and you get warning through the feel of the frame being 'not right', creaking etc. plus the obvious open crack.

EDIT: and as for your wheel removal technique- why on earth are you doing this, wheels should drop out of the dropouts- clue is in the name! BTW I am a trained and qualified cycle mechanic.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
We have solid evidence from many of us who have done this successfully and have used the bike for several years afterwards without problems, some have done it more than once.
We haven't heard from anyone who's damaged the frame in attempting to do it.
In a perfect world we perhaps shouldn't bend aluminium but I'm quite happy to do so with care.

Dave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You have got away with it, so far... but aluminium will suffer micro stress cracks when bent, then stress corrosion can eat into them propagating further cracking, the process can take time but then one day it will fail suddenly. Steel can take much more bending and even when it does fail it does it slowly, the cracking happens gradually and you get warning through the feel of the frame being 'not right', creaking etc. plus the obvious open crack.

EDIT: and as for your wheel removal technique- why on earth are you doing this, wheels should drop out of the dropouts- clue is in the name! BTW I am a trained and qualified cycle mechanic.
Lecturing the wrong person, I first joined the trade in 1950!

Re: your edit, it's not a wheel removal technique, it's a way of simply and quickly changing a tube or even tyre.

As for your micro-cracking, those bikes in the two photos are still in use far beyond a decade later, the top one from 2003 and the lower one from 2006. There are no micro cracks since , as said, I do know what I'm doing. When I widened one 20" wheel frame it wasn't going to be possible just by distortion so I separated two frame joins and re-welded them afterwards.

• Informative
Reactions: D C and POLLY

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Sorry it's an old thread but, what happens on aluminium dropouts if you prize apart the dropouts on a 135mm and put (for example) something like a 148mm hub in there?

I mean without opening it to 170mm and letting it spring back, just putting the wider hub straight in?

The only reason is to tighten the NDS spokes more. My DS spokes are as tight as I dare take them, while the NDS are still too loose, while I have the smallest possible gap between dropout and cassette lockring on the DS, while I have about 5mm of spacers on the NDS axle - it could do with 5mm more but I think the hub is already at about 143mm as it is, so it would be taken to 148mm which is 6.5mm wider each side than the 135mm the dropouts were originally.

I just thought adding spacers to the NDS to allow me to tighten the NDS spokes would be a good way to solve it.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
By the grace of god, my dropouts are 137.2mm when nothing is in them. Adding 5mm of spacers isn't going to stress them much. Put it this way, I was riding around for at least 1,000 miles on a 135mm hub crammed into a 130.5mm dropout (that was meant to be 135mm I might add) and never had any problems.

Also, to negate setting the disc rotor in by 5mm with spacers (which means it's nowhere near lined up properly with the brake pads anymore), I am going to space the rotor itself out by 5mm (evening it all out) with a handful of these, bloody ingenious actually...

Bafang typically has 8mm disc rotor bolts, I'm adding 5mm so needed 13mm bolts but no such length exists, so I got a pack of 14mm and will put 1mm washers under the bolt heads. I cannot see why this won't fix it but I'll believe it when I see it!

Buying two 2mm and one 1mm means it can be spaced any way (1/2/3/4/5mm).

I will have tighter NDS spokes come hell or high water!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With disc rotors, one has no choice but to start on the DS and line up the rotor/caliper first and space accordingly so not to create issues. The NDS is then what it is and may or may not need spacing or stretching a little.