Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub - heavy duty

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Schemozzle999, it's good to see a replacement on the market for the old and slow changing SRAM P5 Cargo.

I think for most e-bikers a 5 speed at around 250% gives all the gear range needed for powered riding.

Reactions: tillson

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Good for bbs02 750W and potentially change gears on load?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I remember my first three speed Sturmey Archer with the gear lever on the cross bar. My dad thought the handle bar lever just asking to be broken off.

Reactions: VictoryV

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it would be nice to have gear change sensor integrated into a hub gear.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
I remember my first three speed Sturmey Archer with the gear lever on the cross bar. My dad thought the handle bar lever just asking to be broken off.
My first geared bike was a Raleigh road bike with a 5 speed derailleur and the speed change was a lever mounted on the upright part of the handlebar stem. No markings or stops on the gear lever, just move up/down and hope you've got the gear you were aiming for!

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Oh, at last Sunrace Sturmey-Archer have seen the light! A problem with the original British 5-speed model was that 1 to 2 and 4 to 5 were too close, compared to the 2-3 and 3-4 gaps, a result of it being developed from the FW hub. Sunrace S-A missed a trick a few years ago when they widened the gearing range by adopting the cogs from the BWR hub. Had they kept the original cog set for 2nd and 4th, the result would have been close to the desired geometrical progression. Instead they were lazy and adopted the cogs from their standard 3-speed, so the same problem arose.

However, with these new RX hubs, it seems they have a perfect geometrical progression, with a claimed 25% gap between each gear. Interesting too they have adopted rotary gear selector and a rotary changer, very similar to those on the Shimano Nexus hubs.

Thanks to shemozzle for the heads-up on this one :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My wifes S/A 5 speed XRD-5(W) on her Pashley Princess Sovereign has always been problematic (in fact its rubbish unless you keep them well adjusted regularly) and is waiting for me to strip it down. I may just bite the bullet and replace it with one of these.

Jerry

Reactions: shemozzle999

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
What do they mean by 25% between gears?
For example going down
100inch,75 inch,56.25 inch,42.18 inch 31.6 inch quite respectable
BUT if they count from the bottom.
31.6--39.5--49.3--61.7---77.14

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
It counts from the bottom. So gear (n+1) will have a ratio 1.25 times higher than gear (n), like the second example mike killay gives above. Therefore gear (n-1) will have a ratio of 1/1.25 = 0.8 that of gear (n). The direct drive gear on these, that is the wheel goes round at the same speed as the sprocket, is 3rd. I would agree with the implication that it's a bit of a shame they've narrowed the overall range slightly on these compared to the previous model.

Jerrysimon's thinking is probably sound - but I'd be intrigued to know how you are going to arrange for the control wire to run inside of the chaincase? Necessary I would have thought with the rotary gear selector inboard of the sprocket. Unfortunately, I've never looked at any bikes with full chaincases and Shimano gears (like Kudos' City and Tourer models) to see how they do it.

Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Jerrysimon's thinking is probably sound - but I'd be intrigued to know how you are going to arrange for the control wire to run inside of the chaincase? Necessary I would have thought with the rotary gear selector inboard of the sprocket. Unfortunately, I've never looked at any bikes with full chaincases and Shimano gears (like Kudos' City and Tourer models) to see how they do it.
Thanks hadn't noticed that :(

Looks like I will be stripping down the original after all. Failing that I may just replace it with the XRD-3.

Regards

Jerry