Suitable bike for conversion

D

Deleted member 4366

The very oldest Oxygen bikes had bafang SWX motors, then Aurora, then for the last few years, the E-mates had Dapu motors.

The first Oxydrive kits with the black bottle batteries had Bafang SWX motors, but when the Oxygen E-mate MTB was released, they used the same electrical bits for the rear Oxydrive kit, which used the much bigger Bafang CST motor.

Now, the new Oxygen bikes and the rear Oxydrive kits use the middle sized Bafang SWX02C motor, so your bike will have the same motor as what you would have got with the Oxydrive kit. You'll be happy with your new bike. Don't worry.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks d8veh for info would I be correct that the older e mtb with cst and dolphin battery is more powerfull than the new emtb with swxo2c?
it was the older vertion I wanted to buy but local oxygen dealer had no stock.

and was waiting for the new model with inbuilt battery

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
The very oldest Oxygen bikes had bafang SWX motors, then Aurora, then for the last few years, the E-mates had Dapu motors.

The first Oxydrive kits with the black bottle batteries had Bafang SWX motors, but when the Oxygen E-mate MTB was released, they used the same electrical bits for the rear Oxydrive kit, which used the much bigger Bafang CST motor.

Now, the new Oxygen bikes and the rear Oxydrive kits use the middle sized Bafang SWX02C motor, so your bike will have the same motor as what you would have got with the Oxydrive kit. You'll be happy with your new bike. Don't worry.
Thanks for clarifying and reassuring me - can't wait to get my hands on it!

D

Deleted member 4366

thanks d8veh for info would I be correct that the older e mtb with cst and dolphin battery is more powerfull than the new emtb with swxo2c?
it was the older vertion I wanted to buy but local oxygen dealer had no stock.

and was waiting for the new model with inbuilt battery
They're similar power because they have the same battery and controller.

D

Deleted member 4366

One other point about the new Oxygen bikes that I only recently found out. The S-Cross MTB uses the cassette version of the SWX02 and hydraulic brakes, while as the other versions have the normal version of the SWX02 with free-wheel gears and cable brakes.

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
Interesting thanks.
If you wanted to increase the number of gears on these bikes, by adding another rear wheel cog, is that something that would be possible?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Interesting thanks.
If you wanted to increase the number of gears on these bikes, by adding another rear wheel cog, is that something that would be possible?
Your bike has a seven speed screw on gear cluster.

Most eight and above speed cassettes are slide on spline fitting, which will not fit your bike.

The good news is SJS offer a couple of screw on eight speeds.

Further good news is I'm fairly sure the seven and eight speed pull ratio is the same.

But you will probably need a new shifter, because the current one won't have enough clicks.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels-8-speed/

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi
D

Deleted member 4366

Interesting thanks.
Why do you want to change the number of gears?

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
Your bike has a seven speed screw on gear cluster.

Most eight and above speed cassettes are slide on spline fitting, which will not fit your bike.

The good news is SJS offer a couple of screw on eight speeds.

Further good news is I'm fairly sure the seven and eight speed pull ratio is the same.

But you will probably need a new shifter, because the current one won't have enough clicks.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels-8-speed/
Thanks RobF.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how many teeth does the smallest rear cog have? if it's 14, then you can change the freewheel for one with fewer teeth.