suitable wing mirrors

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
can anyone give me some advise on whats best wing mirrors to put on a bike. I would prefer ones what extend from the handlebar grips. But only problem with that is I have this electric bike and it has a throttle grip on right so no way can I have mirrors what extend from the grips unless you can screw the mirrors in the grip ends which would be great

I've seen these on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225340653950?

Reactions: WheezyRider

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Do a search for bar end cycle mirrors and you should get plenty that plug into the end of your handlebars. Well worth having for sure. I wouldn't be without them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As Lancslass says, bar end mirrors that plug in are the most popuar and very good. I use the Cateye BM500 model. You just need to cut away the end of the rubber grip to insert it and it won't interfere with the throttle.

Reactions: Lancslass

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Cateye for me too. Easy to fit, stays where you put it mostly, but moves if knocked hard. Cheap so no big deal if it gets cracked. View is good enough.

Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We've got one similar to the one billyboya referenced in the first post. It was quite awkward to fit it: riser bars with a significant sweep back means it has to be attached on a slightly bendy bit of the bars. Given that, it is remarkably stable. The glass is quite small and is maybe too convex; it gives wide coverage but I find it difficult to judge distance. It's easy to adjust or tuck out of the way.

I can't remember why I didn't go in for a bar end style. Maybe I didn't want to cut the ends of the grips or maybe I thought it would be awkward leaned up against the wall.

• Agree
Reactions: Stanebike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use fully folding back bar end mirros that use proper flat glass and not convex plastic.
Serach on ebay or amazon for Briskmore Mirrors far better and better then cateye or any other mirror on the market. I got mine for £14 a pair but think that are some 50% dearer now.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I use fully folding back bar end mirros that use proper flat glass and not convex plastic.
Serach on ebay or amazon for Briskmore Mirrors far better and better then cateye or any other mirror on the market. I got mine for £14 a pair but think that are some 50% dearer now.
Are these what you mean Nealh as looks ok as I do really want wing mirrors on ends of handlebars but am a bit worried now as will I have to cut the throttle grip. I will have to check the ends of handlebars how do they tighten up

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Zefal Dooback mirrors on my bike, with swept back bars too. They don't have a long stalk, the mirrors rotate on a ratchet, so fold easily if banged or dropped.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Zefal Dooback mirrors on my bike, with swept back bars too. They don't have a long stalk, the mirrors rotate on a ratchet, so fold easily if banged or dropped.
I use the same mirrors on my Motus. I did have the Cateye one at one time, but found I got a good view of my elbow and little else.
The Zefal ones have proved very good.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's the great thing about Zefal Doobacks and Cyclop (I have both) - you can get clear views of the road behind, without yourself being featured in the reflection at all.

Reactions: jimriley

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
That's the great thing about Zefal Doobacks and Cyclop (I have both) - you can get clear views of the road behind, without yourself being featured in the reflection at all.

Yeah they look ok too. But I have a throttle on right handlebar so would I have to cut a hole at end as it seems they slide into the handle bar hole it am I wrong these would suit as other ones I have used shows your arms too much

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Yeah they look ok too. But I have a throttle on right handlebar so would I have to cut a hole at end as it seems they slide into the handle bar hole it am I wrong these would suit as other ones I have used shows your arms too much
Just slice the end off the bar grip, flush with the bar end.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I tried the type you initially enquired about, plus others (cheap rubbish) until I settled on the Zefal Dooback, which extend further out at the sides, therefore show you the road, not your arm or shoulder. With the Doobacks, you get a few angles which the mirror rotates and clicks into, but you can swivel at the handlebar end to get the right click-in angle. With Cylops, you get a huge variety of angles, but it takes a little longer to adjust after folding - Doobacks are simply click and go, if you've folded them in to lean the bike adainst a wall. The Dooback's securing mechanisms are better (slightly longer bolts). If your throttle's function isn't damaged by doing so, you would have to make a hole or slice the handlebar throttle end off, as mentioned by @jimriley. Diluted washing-up liquid lubricates the plastic collars and expanding part into the handlebar ends. Give them a tug test after tightening the bolts.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but those..........!
  • Anyway, putting my personal prejudice to one side, those long stems on the ebay mirrors will likely lead to a lot of 'mirror shake' as you go down our less than perfect roads.
  • The bar end mirrors are the thing to go for and Cat Eye do a good range to choose from.
  • I've tried similar style mirrors from other brands, (Decathlon, Ali Express etc) and none of them have lasted the course.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
  • I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but those..........!
  • Anyway, putting my personal prejudice to one side, those long stems on the ebay mirrors will likely lead to a lot of 'mirror shake' as you go down our less than perfect roads.
  • The bar end mirrors are the thing to go for and Cat Eye do a good range to choose from.
  • I've tried similar style mirrors from other brands, (Decathlon, Ali Express etc) and none of them have lasted the course.
Yes I had thought they would probably shake a lot being so long. And I’ve had wing mirrors before what fasten along handlebars and you saw your arms Mostly had to stretch over too much to what’s behind but with the ones what fits into ends of handlebars will be much better will order some

Reactions: Bikes4two

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Yes I had thought they would probably shake a lot being so long. And I’ve had wing mirrors before what fasten along handlebars and you saw your arms Mostly had to stretch over too much to what’s behind but with the ones what fits into ends of handlebars will be much better will order some
I had exactly the same concerns before I got a mirror, but it's fine. The Cateye can be swung out to a position that shows all road and no elbow, and the view is steady. The only downside of a bar end mirror is that you have to move your eyes to see it. It is not in your primary looking forwards view. But I soon got used to it, and my neck is much less sore without all the looking back over my shoulder!

• Agree
Reactions: Bikes4two and flecc

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I wouldn't hesitate to get some bar end mirrors. In fact since fitting ours some about 5 years ago, I've never looked back - BOOM!
But seriously, once they are positioned correctly and tightened up, you only need to look back to actually signify to vehicles behind that you are pulling out. So much safer in my view.

Reactions: Bikes4two

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I had exactly the same concerns before I got a mirror, but it's fine. The Cateye can be swung out to a position that shows all road and no elbow, and the view is steady. The only downside of a bar end mirror is that you have to move your eyes to see it. It is not in your primary looking forwards view. But I soon got used to it, and my neck is much less sore without all the looking back over my shoulder!
Well I can't turn my neck too far round. But even when I have my right arm stretched out all the way and steady the bike with left arm, the dam cars can't wait. it's the right mirror you need the most as left turns are fine as you drive on left anyway.

I am a bit worried about the right mirror fitting it as I have a throttle on right. But as far as I can tell I will need to cut a hole into the end of throttle grip. to fit mirror, I take it when you slot the mirror into handlebar hole and tighten it expands to fit.

I've ordered these £18.99 for a pair. I see there is a Allen screw at ends so guess it expands the part to fit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131497598722