Taking a Tongxin motor apart.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Nice to know - I'll bookmark you just in case my Tongsin decides to start playing up :)

What spares do you have? Any likely hood of getting complete motors?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Tarn version ?

Never heard of it.

Regards

Jerry

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Looking at the pictures of this motor, I can`t understand how the gearing works. It appears that normal gear wheels have been replaced by rollers. Are these supposed to work by friction? In a greasy environment ? I am missing something, because it obviously does work.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it is smooth steel rollers on a smooth track, operating by friction and some pressure alone. They work quite well with little tendency to slip, but are not particularly powerful, around the mid three hundreds of watts I think generally. They work best of all in small wheel bikes which place less stress on the drive system. Very low drag and quietness are the main benefits, but they've a reputation for fragility, broken spindles and rings happening occasionally. Improving though, I remember about three years back when one member went through four motors and another through five controllers very quickly!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Yes, it is smooth steel rollers on a smooth track, operating by friction and some pressure alone. They work quite well with little tendency to slip, but are not particularly powerful, around the mid three hundreds of watts I think generally. They work best of all in small wheel bikes which place less stress on the drive system. Very low drag and quietness are the main benefits, but they've a reputation for fragility, broken spindles and rings happening occasionally. Improving though, I remember about three years back when one member went through four motors and another through five controllers very quickly!

Yup, quite easy to induce slip at anything above 500watts and/or harsh throttle usage from a standstill. It is lovely and quite though and very freewheeling off the power.

Just sold mine in a wheel complete with 3000k miles on it and still working perfectly - only sold as I'm now using one of the smaller Goldant motors.

sixpence_none_the_richer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2013
Manchester area
I am considering if a rewind is possible for this motor.

Having just bought a used Tongxin off eBay in rather a hurry, I ended up with a 190rpm motor. It's laced into a 700c wheel at the moment but I want to use it on my old Raleigh 20 in a 20" wheel. I reckon I may achieve about 11 mph on 36v. I could over volt it but already have bought cells for a battery build.

On this issue some say that it's best just to get the speed of motor you need, that a rewind for a different speed done on a motor designed for a particular speed, results in an inefficient motor. BUT, my thinking here is that this same physical motor is already available in different speed options so it should be possible to DIY convert between different speeds for a given voltage. If I reduce the number of turns and wind with a heavier guage wire to handle the increase in current it should work out okay. If I look and see how many turns I have and then reduce that number in proportion to the increase in rpm I want to achieve

Anyone mad enough to try this here?

Paul

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I guess its possible but as stated over volt it or sell it and buy two unlaced ones direct from china for about £150.

Jerry

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I would go with Jerry's advice, you already have the wheel and correct spokes, building a wheel is quite enjoyable with plenty of tutorials on line.

Next would be d8veh's overvolting even if you need to buy more batteries and personally I would not rewind, I had enough of that in the brushed motor RC era.

Good luck

sixpence_none_the_richer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2013
Manchester area
Appreciate the responses.

Yes like that Amiga, but with silver stainless spokes. It came from Edinburgh.

Jerry, did you manage to get hold of the special ring tool needed to remove the gearing? You need to get the gearing component out before the armature can be removed. I don't suppose the gear wheels can be removed without this bit of kit? Is it pricey I wonder? Must admit over volting is looking tons easier at this point...

I have the sum total of 3 wheel builds under my belt to date. They're all still true so far but they do use meaty mtb rims... The latest I did was for my old trek 26" mtb to which I retro fitted a disc brake at the front. I had my LBS braze a caliper mount on the forks. The sense of acheivement is grand, hence the desire to tinker with this little motor. For those who like to tinker with bikes, it's worth mentioning the mine of bike related information that is the Sheldon Brown website.

regards all,
Paul

Sunshes

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2021

I have heard about those little pins first time I have seen them.

hello guys. iam from germany and own a e-bike. I have no clue about it. But i now, i wanted to get rid of the noise from the engine. Today i disassembled the front and itook everythink apart. Looks like that my „bearings“ are shot and i need 3 new ones..?
Should i change the outer big „bearing“ too?
does anyone know where i can get the bearings or a kit maybe?
Can anyone tell me if i can upload a video from the engine? The clue behind the video is that the axle which is looking out is turning not straight or it that because with the bearings it is going to turn straight? (No weird noises from the engine but a bad noise when the bearings where on)

Attachments