The best legal ebike kit

D

Deleted member 4366

It can only be legal in real terms if programmed to 15a/250w though an engraved factory mark will give buyers a piece of mind.
Sorry, Neal, that's complete rubbish. Why 15A? You cannot program to 250w. What does that mean?

From the EMV3EV listing:
"The standard settings are as follows:
  • 25A max current.
  • LVC (low voltage cut) 31V, suitable for 36V battery.
  • number of assist levels are adjustable by the display.
  • wheel size can be adjusted from the display.
  • speed limit can be set via the display (model dependednt), it is not possible to completely remove the speed limit, but you could set the wheel size to be smaller than it really is, to trick the kit into measuring a lower speed and effectively increase the speed limit. Of course the indicated speed will no longer be correct and this 500W kit is only really powerful enough to reach speeds in the region of 50km/h on the flat."

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sorry, Neal, that's complete rubbish. Why 15A? You cannot program to 250w. What does that mean?
Not complete rubbish D8ve as you are only quoting part of the text and not the full sales pitch on the site, yes it does come as 25a 500w as std set up but if you don't mention it it they will supply it marked 500w. Also they clearly state it can be detuned and these options are available in drop down boxes on the webs ordering page.

Here is the full sales pitch including programming if needed, including the text you have used at the bottom of the page.
Taken from EM3EV page.

We are now offering these 36V 25A 250W BBS02 kits (same as the 36V 500W, but marked as a 250W). So, you can have the more powerful and robust 500W kit, and have it detuned to 250W or 350W power levels, as you require. Or run it at the full 25A and have the 500W rating (~900W Max input power) if preferred. Please state clearly in comments that you need the motor to state 250W, as we still have a few in stock that are marked as 500W. All our stock is the latest version, with the revised case design and with GearSensor connector.

The Bafang BBS02 Mid-Drive kit includes the following. This listing is for a 36V 250W kit.

• Motor with integrated 25A controller.
  • Additional GearSensor connector on motor.
  • 44T chainwheel and pedal arms (does not include pedals). We recommend a relatively small chainwheel is used if the kit will be used in hilly areas. We have larger chainwheels available here.
  • We also offer the 42T Bling Ring. This is in our opinion the best chainwheel available for the BBS02. It offers better than standard chain line alignment and a large tooth, small tooth design, which helps to retain the chain. More info here and in this section.
  • Waterproof interconnecting cabling.
  • A choice of the premium throttles offered by Wuxing. Details of the various throttle options, can be found in this section.
  • Pair of ebrakes for cable pull brakes or a choice of ebrake sensors, for cable pull or hydraulic brakes. 1 ebrake sensor is enough, but an additional sensor can be found in this section.
  • A choice of LCD displays, but do be aware that the C963 only allows a speed limit of up to 40km/h, the C961 allows 50km/h and the C965 allows 99km/h.
  • The 36V kits can only be used on a 36V batterry or thereabouts. It absolutely cannot be used with a 48V battery (31V LVC).
We are able to adjust the controller software. Kits will be shipped with throttle configured for full power in all assist levels (including 0). There are also many user adjustable settings available in the display. The BBS02 is a more powerful version of the BBS02, which has a larger motor structure, with a fster winding, and can deliver higher power levels than the smaller BBS01. READ THIS LINK, for info on the BBS range of motors. See below links to view documentation on the kit and display.

The standard settings are as follows:

• 25A max current.
  • speed limit can be set via the display (model dependednt), it is not possible to completely remove the speed limit, but you could set the wheel size to be smaller than it really is, to trick the kit into measuring a lower speed and effectively increase the speed limit. Of course the indicated speed will no longer be correct and this 500W kit is only really powerful enough to reach speeds in the region of 50km/h on the flat.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
When I was on the cusp of ordering a BBS02, I soon realised that this was great news, that you could have a 500w motor that was badged 250w.

Electric is strange stuff, and due to the physicals of the 500w motor put into 250w mode, would probably provide more Torque than a BBS01 250w due to the less beefy motor.

All smoke and mirrors really, and as far as anyone is concerned the BBS02 is completely street legal, when configured as 250w 36v and restricted to 15.5mph.

What's not to like.

I just went of the idea of a kit, and have decided to go for a Bafang Max Drive equipped ebike of the shelf, just a case of adding my Rohloff IGH to replace whatever gearing the bike comes with.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This already has a Rohloff just needs a motor... 3999€ + VAT

• Informative

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, the Roholoff is a great bit of kit, not as expensive as some folk think, got mine new back in 2004, just £500 back then.

That's around 13 years ago, and runs better now than when new!

I started of with a SRAM Spectro P7 with built in Hub Brake, and that's still going strong 20 years later.

I can understand cheap £100 bikes comming with antiquated derailleur gears, but for a £1,800+ Ebike with Bosch motor to come with anything but an IGH is just simply a joke IMHO.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Not complete rubbish D8ve as you are only quoting part of the text and not the full sales pitch on the site, yes it does come as 25a 500w as std set up but if you don't mention it it they will supply it marked 500w. Also they clearly state it can be detuned and these options are available in drop down boxes on the webs ordering page.

Here is the full sales pitch including programming if needed, including the text you have used at the bottom of the page.
Taken from EM3EV page.

We are now offering these 36V 25A 250W BBS02 kits (same as the 36V 500W, but marked as a 250W). So, you can have the more powerful and robust 500W kit, and have it detuned to 250W or 350W power levels, as you require. Or run it at the full 25A and have the 500W rating (~900W Max input power) if preferred. Please state clearly in comments that you need the motor to state 250W, as we still have a few in stock that are marked as 500W. All our stock is the latest version, with the revised case design and with GearSensor connector.

The Bafang BBS02 Mid-Drive kit includes the following. This listing is for a 36V 250W kit.

• Motor with integrated 25A controller.
  • Additional GearSensor connector on motor.
  • 44T chainwheel and pedal arms (does not include pedals). We recommend a relatively small chainwheel is used if the kit will be used in hilly areas. We have larger chainwheels available here.
  • We also offer the 42T Bling Ring. This is in our opinion the best chainwheel available for the BBS02. It offers better than standard chain line alignment and a large tooth, small tooth design, which helps to retain the chain. More info here and in this section.
  • Waterproof interconnecting cabling.
  • A choice of the premium throttles offered by Wuxing. Details of the various throttle options, can be found in this section.
  • Pair of ebrakes for cable pull brakes or a choice of ebrake sensors, for cable pull or hydraulic brakes. 1 ebrake sensor is enough, but an additional sensor can be found in this section.
  • A choice of LCD displays, but do be aware that the C963 only allows a speed limit of up to 40km/h, the C961 allows 50km/h and the C965 allows 99km/h.
  • The 36V kits can only be used on a 36V batterry or thereabouts. It absolutely cannot be used with a 48V battery (31V LVC).
We are able to adjust the controller software. Kits will be shipped with throttle configured for full power in all assist levels (including 0). There are also many user adjustable settings available in the display. The BBS02 is a more powerful version of the BBS02, which has a larger motor structure, with a fster winding, and can deliver higher power levels than the smaller BBS01. READ THIS LINK, for info on the BBS range of motors. See below links to view documentation on the kit and display.

The standard settings are as follows:

• 25A max current.
  • speed limit can be set via the display (model dependednt), it is not possible to completely remove the speed limit, but you could set the wheel size to be smaller than it really is, to trick the kit into measuring a lower speed and effectively increase the speed limit. Of course the indicated speed will no longer be correct and this 500W kit is only really powerful enough to reach speeds in the region of 50km/h on the flat.

The bosch and Yamaha bikes are more than 15a.The guy in Norway sell this motor as only 25a.He ordered them from Bafang as a special version marked 250w and is delivered from Bafang with a 25 amp controller.And a throttle that only works when you pedal.He was the first one to get this motor as far as I know.And Bafang maked them specially for him,because of the hilly Norway.lots of other legal bikes have controllers more than 15a.The BH emotion ones like Neo cross have 20a controller.The ezee ebike kit is legal with 48v 20a controller for example.It is the motor rating from the producer that is imoprtent and the top speed

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
This already has a Rohloff just needs a motor... 3999€ + VAT
Shush don't tell anyone about that. It's a beautiful thing as is some of the other WAWs he has. And VAT is NA for a European buyer.

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought WAWs are around 6000 Euros. Can you provide a link to a 4000 one?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
  • Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I thought WAWs are around 6000 Euros. Can you provide a link to a 4000 one?
4838 with VAT, the tax free price is for companies who buy as an advertising vehicle.

If you configure with a Rohloff and lights new ones start at around 8000€... Add their motor and it is around 10 K :eek:

D

Deleted member 4366

4838 with VAT, the tax free price is for companies who buy as an advertising vehicle.

If you configure with a Rohloff and lights new ones start at around 8000€... Add their motor and it is around 10 K :eek:
Back to my dreams then!

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Clear as mud, think I will wait until I can get my hands on a Bafang Max Drive ebike, and save on the faff of doing a lash up with a Bafang 8fun kit.
I have purchased the Greenaway cycles city bike the one without mudguards etc, it is a Bafang Max Drive, the guy doesn'tseem know what he's selling, the bike parts are a little low grade but good frame, the instruction book for bike is for a front hub Bafang and not the max drive, I've managed to get the factory fitting manual for the Bafang Max drive including the password for resetting/adjusting max speed parameter to 60kmh ,,,Which I have done, the motor is oh so quiet! not a murmur even from it and it pulls like the proverbial even on low setting,At £1050 I reckon it's a bargain , put better wheelset and mech on it and away u go, I'm in Coventry if you are nearby and want a spin on it.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We want photos! We always do...

• Agree

Bolt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
Hi ultrafunkula
Any chance of a link for the Greenaway bike as I can't seem
to find much information about it and it sounds interesting.
Thanks

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Excuse the kitchen I'm just ripping it out to fit new one, last owner put it in including Lino in 1974

Reactions: anotherkiwi

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Outstanding Ultrafunkula, I was waiting for someone to report back on the Greenaway bike, as I was concerned that it might turn up with an 8fun CD and not the Max Drive, as in the description there is no mention of Max Drive.

Also did the bike come with Hydraulic Brakes, including motor cut of built into both levers.

To be fair, I am quite amazed that more folk on here have not bought the Greenaway.

For just over £1000 the Greenaway seems an absolute bargain.

Of course the dealers and retailers who advertise on here, will be going into a whirl over the Greenaway lol!

Last edited:

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Hydraulic brakes, gearsensor on the shift for the motor I got the full workshop manual off the net for the Max Drive, no motor cut on the brakes, just on the shifter, u don't need cut out on brakes as you just stop pedalling, there is also walk assist built in , I've weighed bike it's 22kg all in